PDA

View Full Version : Drag Spool Pre-Season Production

Tim Kish
01-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I’m lining up the next production run of drag spools and will be running them on a “pre-sale” basis only. I am not planning to stock any as these are expensive parts so this is the opportunity to get one. Spools are available for the 3-spd ATX (31TH/A-413), 1st/2nd gen Neon MTX (T-350). Also available with this batch is a new design for the SRT-4 (T-850). The T-350 design has been updated to add a mounting flange for the speedo gear for applications that may wish to maintain that functionality . The ATX spool design uses the larger drivers side differential bearing which requires the late-model style bearing carrier. Pre-Season Purchase price is $625 + shipping (fedex ground / insured).

Because of the high manufacturing cost on these parts I am requiring a deposit with orders. The deposit of $200 will be considered non-refundable at the time when the batch order goes into the machine shop. If I am unable to deliver product per committed timing and you wish to withdraw your order - deposits will be refunded. If you opt not to complete the purchase your deposit will only be refunded at the time when either you or I secure a new buyer for the part allotted to you. I’m sorry I have to put these type of terms on this but I have to protect against non-committed buyers on a specialty product.

Spools are made from 52100 steel and weigh approx 6lbs - this is nearly a 10lb reduction of rotating weight over other available LSD options. Don't blow a diff pin ever again. These spools are designed with the same spline geometry as the factory differential, including the proper provision for the axle retaining rings. They are a direct fit to the listed applications. Spools are designed for OFF-ROAD USE ONLY and not recommended for street use. As the spool supplier to Darrell Cox Racing, our spools have been tested thoroughly by some of their high HP drag racing customers.

The purchase period will be open until January 30, at that point orders will close and manufuacturing will begin. I'm not keeping this open very long so as not to push delivery any further into race season. Approximate lead time is 6 weeks (shipments expected to begin about March 16), just in time for the 2009 racing season. Subsequent production runs may be available but are demand based and require multiple pieces to be run, single piece runs are not available.
PM with questions.

Tim Kish
No website
5859 S.30th St. Kalamazoo, MI 49048
timothymkish@eaton.com
269-569-9088

Previous Design T-350 shown (prior to addition of speedo gear mounting ring)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/btlfed4/IMG_1970.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/btlfed4/mtxspool.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/btlfed4/atxspool.jpg

Ondonti
01-19-2009, 12:04 AM
and not for 4 speeds?

zin
01-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Very nice looking piece you have there!

Mike

Tim Kish
01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
and not for 4 speeds?

I've not personally seen the 4-spd ATX diff but as I understand it the only difference from the other neon designs is the ring gear position and its much closer to the neon MTX position that the 3-spd ATX is. less than ideal for weight reduction but again as I've been told by another person that has been working with the 4-spds is that you can take the neon MTX spool (or OBX, or whatever) and with fairly thin ring gear spacer you can make it work. If you are really interested I can confirm those details, or if we can find a min of 5 other people that want them for the 4-spd we can make a specific batch.

BadAssPerformance
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Nice work! :clap:

Tim Kish
01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Learned something new today - 520/523 uses the same diff as the Neon MTX so for all those apps and hybrid apps we're good to go with the current tooled designs!!!

That means JT needs one!!!

BadAssPerformance
01-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Interesting, very interesting :eyebrows:

trbowgn
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
nice looking part Tim.
So how have you been man long time since I've seen your name pop up.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm! Good to know tim
keep beating 9 second super stockers,lol

take care ,jimmy

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
01-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Looks awesome tim, been wondering, if a mini spool
would be, just as effective,and less costly to make
do you know, what art leong,is using

be good ,jimmy

Tim Kish
01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Art is currently using an OBX with the big steel ring gear spacer - he'll be switching to my spool come March!. I could design a mini-spool and yes it would be cheaper but the other benefit I was going for was weight reduction, this is about 9 lbs lighter than OEM diff, even more than the OBX or Quaife and far lighter than the big ring gear spacer to adapt those to the ATX trans. Since this is a drag race only mod those guys typically want the lighter weight option. The mini-spools often go into mild street cars where they are more cost conscious and I don't want to encourage street use.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
01-27-2009, 09:27 PM
HMMMMMM TIM ,THATS GREAT! I'M SURE YOUR R/D IS GOING TOO PAY OFF,
I'M SURE , THIS IS NEEDED! MAYBE IT COULD GO ON TO THE ECOTEC,AND TUNER GUYS
YU'LL BE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
LAST YEAR IN ATLANTA, I WAS TALKING TO MY FRIEND JIM HARRINGTON
AND TOLD HIM ,ITS NOT HOW FAST YOU GO! ITS HOW GOOD YOU ARE!
HE JUST SMILED
WHEN I SEEN YOU BEATEN HIM , OUTRIGHT! 9.8s to your 13, I ALMOST FELL OF MY CHAIR
SO MUCH ,FOR A 50GRAND SUPER STOCKER

YOU TAKE CARE, JIMMY

Tim Kish
01-29-2009, 11:49 PM
The end date for orders has been extended to Feb 11 based on multiple requests. These are also available from Darrell Cox Racing if you prefer to purchase from a vendor.

Reeves
02-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Can someone give me real life experience driving a FWD with a spool or welded diff? I've been afraid to go this route because I've always heard it's near impossible to turn. I remember Gary Donovan was running a welded stocker and stating that he had to put power steering back on the car to get it to turn.

I currently have manual steering (22:1 the right way) and I love it on the street. But, with the 25" x 8.7" slicks, it gets a little cumbersome to turn (not horrible, but definitely not super easy).

Anyone running one on the street at all? I know you aren't promoting street use Tim, but I do like to drive my OMNI around some, to car shows and the like.

Thanks!

bakes
02-20-2009, 12:19 AM
My omni (Rattrap) is running a A525 with a welded diff no p/s it's harder to park but not impossible , driving on the street not a problem launches are hard and straight and very little or no torque steer driving on the hi way tires get on the warm side
Drove for 1 year on the street this way.

Reeves
02-20-2009, 12:46 AM
My omni (Rattrap) is running a A525 with a welded diff no p/s it's harder to park but not impossible , driving on the street not a problem launches are hard and straight and very little or no torque steer driving on the hi way tires get on the warm side
Drove for 1 year on the street this way.

Slicks at the track? If so, how big?

Thanks for the input!

My thinking was that it would be easier in a FWD to drive with a spool, than a RWD. Reason being that the front wheels *point* in the direction you are going, rather than *pivot* meaning less speed differential.....I may be way off here...but that's the way I see it in my now sober head (buzz wore off).

bakes
02-20-2009, 01:08 AM
No slicks yet running 215/60r14 t/a's right now moving to 225/50r15 g force this year
ice racer turning to drag
if you pm Nathan he can tell you what was like when he raced it on ice with spiked tires .

One last thing i had a Grant GT small steering wheel on for a month it was a lot more work to park it , pulled it off and stocker back which made it a lot easier i would have keeped it but it was blocking my guages.

Tim Kish
02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
It's like the hair club, I have been running a spool in my Neon (drag only) since early last season. My car has a manual rack and with 22" slicks (20psi) it is hard (in terms of effort) to turn at low speed. Higher speeds it is easier. Car goes straight as a string but isn't very high HP. The biggest issue with the spool and turning is the fact that the car naturally wants to go straight, so when you turn the wheels you have to hold that turn. If you let go of the steering wheel the car with straighten itself back out (and fast). Turning is not a one hand affair.

Reeves
02-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Very interesting.....

Captain Chaos
02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Art may be needing one of these after yesterday. I wasn't aware you were doing this until he mentioned it last night.

mopar-tech
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
It's like the hair club, I have been running a spool in my Neon (drag only) since early last season. My car has a manual rack and with 22" slicks (20psi) it is hard (in terms of effort) to turn at low speed. Higher speeds it is easier. Car goes straight as a string but isn't very high HP. The biggest issue with the spool and turning is the fact that the car naturally wants to go straight, so when you turn the wheels you have to hold that turn. If you let go of the steering wheel the car with straighten itself back out (and fast). Turning is not a one hand affair.

Tim any chance I can still get in on this?

The worst is behind me now and I plan to field a new sleeper car this summer :D

Gary Donovan

BadAssPerformance
03-03-2009, 02:38 AM

Gary Donovan

Sweet :clap:

crazymadbastard
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM

Gary Donovan

here comes trouble!!! :thumb:

Turbo Joe
04-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Gary Donovan
great to hear things are good.. cant wait to see what you've come up with this time :thumb: I still love that k car:love:

mopar-tech
04-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm collecting parts for the next time to the track, looking over Brians Shadow has given me a few ideas ;-)

bakes
04-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm collecting parts for the next time to the track, looking over Brians Shadow has given me a few ideas ;-)

Im sensing an 8-low 9 sec car in the works:thumb:

mopar-tech
06-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Im sensing an 8-low 9 sec car in the works:thumb:

I'm working on it, one piece at a time...

Reeves
06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
:clap::clap:

bakes
02-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Has anyone got and install one yet?

Tim Kish
02-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I've been running one in my Neon for two seasons now, Gary has the one with the photos posted above. Another person you could contact within the Shelby Dodge world is Art Leong (rt1092).

Let me know if you are interested, I have them on the shelf for immediate shipment.

ShelGame
02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Still $625, Tim?

Reeves
02-17-2010, 09:03 AM
I've been running one in my Neon for two seasons now, Gary has the one with the photos posted above. Another person you could contact within the Shelby Dodge world is Art Leong (rt1092).

Let me know if you are interested, I have them on the shelf for immediate shipment.

Can you give us details on how it works off the track? How is it turning with slicks? How is it getting on/off the trailer? How is it driving around the pits?
Any streetability with DOT drag radials?

Tim Kish
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Turning is hard at low speed, manual rack and spool requires two hands to turn. on/off trailer is no change as you are going straight. Pushing the car in the lanes is more difficult if the lanes are not straight - similar to any RWD car with a spool. As with any race part, I can't endorse on-highway use.

Current inventory is (2) A-413 units and (4) T-350 units. Once those are gone it could be some time before any more are made, if at all as these cost me a fortune to have made and I need 10+ to even consider another batch. $625 is still a good price and with that I can include shipping.