PDA

View Full Version : Got a parisitical miss.... PICS!

Dave
04-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I've had a miss ever since I bought my car back a month ago. The first day it had a baddddd miss, I got in the boost and I created no extra power but continued to build boost.

Cleaned plugs, re-gapped them to 31, miss went bye bye.

Miss says hello again, on race day morning. Hurry and change plugs, gap to 31 again, miss went out for the entire race.

Miss comes back again! Today it only happened at idle, every 3 seconds to every 10 seconds, it varied. I took the my coil wire and coil out to inspect.

Below is the carnage I found. I want to know why my contact looks so corroded?? Any guesses? Looks like it sat in the Atlantic for 2 years. So I put a new one on, cut out a fresh piece of wire in the plug, cleaned both contacts, cleaned the contacts that go to the + and - terminals on the coil. Miss went away. Came back subtedly, I had the terminals touching the housing of the coil, angled them away and miss went away.

Came back again a few moments later but every 10 or so seconds.

Why wont it go away!?!?!? I still build huge power at WOT so I don't think it's really affecting my power, but I'm just concerned of being robbed for it. In fact after I replaced the corroded contact I noticed a good improvement. :nod:

Thanks!

WVRampage
04-06-2006, 09:50 PM
The accel wires I had did the same thing on the coil,I wasnt using any dielectric grease I would sugjest geting some magnacores and use the dielectric grease on the ends.

Dave
04-07-2006, 08:25 AM
No, I don't it's the wires. We have Taylor wires on my brother's Shadow and his Spirit ES and my dad's two van's. Never had that kind of problem.

I think just some moisture got in there somehow, that explains the corrosion, and water and electricity don't mix so maybe that's why it looks burnt...

Dave
04-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Just so everyone knows. I found the miss. Plugs were gapped down to .031 to give me a nice spark due to 16psi, regapped to .033 and the miss went away. Hm...

wallace
04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
The corrosion might be some of your voltage bleeding to ground. Have you checked it at night with the hood open to see if you get any visual signs of arcing? It could be the coil itself, the bakelite might be cracked where the plug connects.

turbovanmanČ
04-13-2006, 02:20 PM
What wires are you running now. I would replace the coil, its probably damaged for the arcing voltage and high resistance.

jckrieger
04-13-2006, 07:27 PM
You mean these cars aren't supposed to miss at idle? I don't think I've had a 2.2/2.5 for a long time that idled smoothly.

Dave
04-13-2006, 11:34 PM
The corrosion might be some of your voltage bleeding to ground. Have you checked it at night with the hood open to see if you get any visual signs of arcing? It could be the coil itself, the bakelite might be cracked where the plug connects.

I'll check. But the miss is entirely gone...

mcsvt
04-14-2006, 08:34 AM
You mean these cars aren't supposed to miss at idle? I don't think I've had a 2.2/2.5 for a long time that idled smoothly.

Yeah, I know what you mean. At idle my car definately misses a little. Just barely noticable if your not looking for it. But then on the highway, it runs smooth as silk. Go figure...