PDA

View Full Version : LRE lowering springs , any feedback ?

shelbymonster
01-16-2009, 07:47 PM
im looking to change my coil spring but whant to know about the LRE springs fwp sell

supercrackerbox
01-17-2009, 04:15 AM
I have them on the Charger, mated to Monroe Sensa-Tracs. I chose those struts and shocks because of a huge employee discount FWIW.

I like them. They ride nice, the car handles quite well, at least as good as I would think it did new. It took several months for them to settle to where the car was actually any lower though, your results may vary.

shelbymonster
01-17-2009, 11:25 AM
perfect thanks !

Team Canada
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Where can you get LRE springs?

85shelbycharger
01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I like them. They ride nice, the car handles quite well, at least as good as I would think it did new. It took several months for them to settle to where the car was actually any lower though, your results may vary.

That's good to know..I've had mine on my SC for about a year now and the fronts still don't seem to have settled. The rear is noticably lower, but the fronts...not so much.

supercrackerbox
01-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Where can you get LRE springs?

www.fwdperformance.com - Look under suspension in the menu on the left.

That's good to know..I've had mine on my SC for about a year now and the fronts still don't seem to have settled. The rear is noticably lower, but the fronts...not so much.

Yes, the rear did settle a bit more than the front. The front only came down about 3/4". Keep in mind these were likely designed for cars with AC. I don't know about your car, but my AC is long gone. Depending on how much clearance I have when I get the new wheels and tires, I may cut half a coil or so off the front, or swap out the rear shocks for some made for an Omni. Try and get an '87 GLHS-style rake.

DevoBuzz
09-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Can someone with LRE springs do me a favor and measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel well? Trying to see how these will look. My car looks so high right now with no A/C and lightweight battery on the stock springs. btw I have newer Monroe Formula GP's on and don't want to switch to coilovers.

Thanks! Ralph

supercrackerbox
10-01-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't have the measurments, but I do have a nice level side shot available.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/supercrackerbox/charger/photo%20ops/Picture042.jpg

And the second pic just cuz I love it . . . :D

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/supercrackerbox/charger/photo%20ops/Picture045.jpg

I also have no AC, a 10.5lb battery, and Monroe Sensa-Tracs. The difference is these are the 16" pumper wheels, but with the same width and aspect ratio tires- I'm running 205/50/16s, so the top of the tire will be half an inch closer to the wheel well lip as with the 15" wheels.

DevoBuzz
10-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks Adam. You're right - cool pics. So with the 16's what is there about 1 inch gap between the top of the tire and the wheel arch up front?

ScottD
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I have the LRE springs on my Turismo w/ 15" wheels. I'm using KYBs and w/ the lowering springs it sits close to stock height and a smidge higher in the front. I'd like it to sit a little lower and at some point may change struts/shocks.

Something else to keep in mind is strut mounts, the aftermarket ones add some height. There is a thread in here somewhere about that.

supercrackerbox
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks Adam. You're right - cool pics. So with the 16's what is there about 1 inch gap between the top of the tire and the wheel arch up front?

Roughly yes.

janus
10-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind these were likely designed for cars with AC. I don't know about your car, but my AC is long gone.

Time to compensate for that with a big IC and Quaife :eyebrows: ;)

edit after i saw the pics: wow, i LOVE those pumpers on the charger.. nice pics of a nice car!

Johnny
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM
This is my car with LRE springs and 3/4 coil cut off.

DevoBuzz
10-05-2010, 07:03 PM
^ Yeh that looks to be about perfect ride height. Any issues cutting that much off?

Johnny
10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Just bolted the springs to the strut perches.
http://polybushings.com/images/springclamp.jpg

Badger
10-05-2010, 08:28 PM
have these on the front of my 'page right now. I think it lowers the front end JUST enough. They work well with the GLHS spec. Koni's I have on there until I go for something a little more radical.

supercrackerbox
10-06-2010, 12:56 AM
wow, i LOVE those pumpers on the charger.. nice pics of a nice car!

Eh, it's one of those cars that looks much better in pics than in person. It's actually pretty rough.

DevoBuzz
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Just got my LRE springs and noticed soemthing - one front and one rear spring is painted with a white spot on them. Is this supposed to indicate left or right side? Not sure why only one of each pair would be painted with a white spot.

Johnny
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Ask the maker/seller.
Sometimes it does make a difference which side on the front.
I can't see why it would matter on the rear for these cars.

forcedfedmopar
11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I have the LREs on my 85 GLH. The rear sat to low for my taste so instead of lowing the front i rasied the rear up with a 3/8th spacer. Once everything settled i really liked the way it sat.
I choose this way so i could still get a good size slick up front. these pics are from right after install. It has since settled almost 1/2 inch.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/omni009.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/omni001.jpg

TopDollar69
12-02-2010, 04:59 PM
White is Right. That's what we used to say at the salvage yard I worked at when we would remove the front suspension from a car and paint all the RH stuff with white spray paint.

DevoBuzz
12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Ah ha! Thanks for that. Not sure how much difference it makes in my case but that is good to know.