PDA

View Full Version : Thought I did all the research...but maybe not...

8shelbyz8
01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok so I'm converting a 2.2 to the 2.4 stratus head. I just torqued the head down tonight and then started looking through these forums. I have the stock 2.2 pistons in the motor and saw somewhere that this will not work. Is this true? If so then could you please explain why?

thanks

jl93sundance
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Ok so I'm converting a 2.2 to the 2.4 stratus head. I just torqued the head down tonight and then started looking through these forums. I have the stock 2.2 pistons in the motor and saw somewhere that this will not work. Is this true? If so then could you please explain why?

thanks

Yes, because 2.2 pistons only have reliefs (I think thats what they're called) for 2 valves per cylinder while the 2.4 has 4 valves per piston.

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Some say the valves will touch, so if your unsure, I would remove the head, lay down some modeling clay or play doh, put the piston at TDC and rotate the valve train. Check the clearance. Without the notches, it could mean you have an interference engine if the belt breaks.

shelbyplaya
01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
did you do all the other mods to make it work? Your motor WILL be an interferince motor. If your belt breaks, timing's out or if you have alot of valve float your valves WILL hit the pistons.

JuXsA
01-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I think you can use a head shim and it will stay a non interference motor. Thats what ozspeed did on his 2.5 hybrid

8shelbyz8
01-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Well do you think that putting two headgaskets on will work? I have two Felpro MLS gaskets.

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Well do you think that putting two headgaskets on will work? I have two Felpro MLS gaskets.

Where did you get the MLS gaskets, got a pic? I've been trying to find those and never had any luck.

IF you going to stack them, I would use a copper shim between the 2, I think that would work nicely or the other option is get a thicker Cometic.

But if your pulling the head back off, check the clearance first, every engine is different.

8shelbyz8
01-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Well I have both of them on right now and the head torqued so I don't have pics. sorry

They are just Felpro Stratus headgaskets. I bought them from Autozone.

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Well I have both of them on right now and the head torqued so I don't have pics. sorry

They are just Felpro Stratus headgaskets. I bought them from Autozone.

Sorry, 2.4 gasket, of course, durr, lol!

You are using 2 head gaskets right now?

shelbyplaya
01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
with the 2 HG's you are greatly increasing the risk of the failing real quick. you are also lowering your compressing a fair bit as well. I dont think your gonna be all to happy with the way you have it set up as of now.

snoman
01-18-2009, 02:02 AM
I am only a couple weeks behind on this same project
I have been reading about combo set-ups with 2.2 cranks and 2.5 rods and pistons
I have an 87 2.2 tii and an 89 2.5 tii for frankensteining
I have also been pondering the MLS HG options.....

Can I get some sugestions too...
(sorry for the thread jack)

t3rse
01-18-2009, 03:57 AM
run cams with less lift (PT? or are all 2.4 cams the same?) and keep it well maintained...I agree that stacking gaskets will likely not last...but get it running first and see.

shelbyplaya
01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
In the end your better off doing it right the first time. your just going to spendmore money by buliding it twice. ONLY run the MLS style head gasket.

Dont 'frankenstine' a motor togeather. the compression will be pretty low if you use 2.5l pistons on a 2.2 crank.

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I am only a couple weeks behind on this same project
I have been reading about combo set-ups with 2.2 cranks and 2.5 rods and pistons
I have an 87 2.2 tii and an 89 2.5 tii for frankensteining
I have also been pondering the MLS HG options.....

Can I get some sugestions too...
(sorry for the thread jack)

Suggestions for what????? :confused:

Either run a 2.5 and the cams won't hit or run a 2.2 and buy notched pistons or notch the stockers. Probably even TIII pistons would work nicely.

As for the original poster, I'll say it again, just take it apart, MLS are reusable anyhow and measure. Simple, :nod:

8shelbyz8
01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Well I think I am just going to run the two HG's for now. Even if I am losing compression then it is still going to run better than 8v right?

But I have ran into another problem now. I bought the Adjustable Cam Gears from FWD performance and when they are bolted on they are touching the head. Are these gears supposed to be only for a 2.0? What do I need to do?

TopDollar69
01-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Call FWD performance?

8shelbyz8
01-18-2009, 04:07 PM
I haven't called yet because I just figured this out today. I read on TD that the Hours are 9-5 central time M-F

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Well I think I am just going to run the two HG's for now. Even if I am losing compression then it is still going to run better than 8v right?

But I have ran into another problem now. I bought the Adjustable Cam Gears from FWD performance and when they are bolted on they are touching the head. Are these gears supposed to be only for a 2.0? What do I need to do?

The cam gears are the same for both the 2.0 and 2.4 as they use the same 16 valve head but If your using 2.0L stuff, I think you turn them around as thats what they do for stock 2.0/2.4L.

As for double stacking, I would think without a shim between them, they wont' seal properly but I guess you'll find out.

8shelbyz8
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
well I have the 2.4 stuff and when I put them on they are up against the head. Do I have something wrong?

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
well I have the 2.4 stuff and when I put them on they are up against the head. Do I have something wrong?

Turn them around?

CSXRT4
01-18-2009, 09:03 PM
maybe make a 5-layer head gasket. SRT-4 guys upgrade to a 5-layer all the time, the 9 second red sled even runs one. From what I hear you take 2 stock MLS head gaskets and drill out the rivets and then combine certain pieces and re-rivet it back together.

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
maybe make a 5-layer head gasket. SRT-4 guys upgrade to a 5-layer all the time, the 9 second red sled even runs one. From what I hear you take 2 stock MLS head gaskets and drill out the rivets and then combine certain pieces and re-rivet it back together.

Thats a good idea, as you can buy 5 layer Cometics for the 8 valve and TIII motors.

8shelbyz8
01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
5-layer Headgasket is a good idea. I might look into that.

About the gears, Yes I turned them around and they stuck out way too far.

snoman
01-18-2009, 11:40 PM
do any of our supporters carry cometic?

turbovanmanČ
01-19-2009, 12:07 AM
5-layer Headgasket is a good idea. I might look into that.

About the gears, Yes I turned them around and they stuck out way too far.

I guess you'll have to call FWD tomorrow, something is weird! :confused:

do any of our supporters carry cometic?

Looks like FWD doesn't, its not on there website so that would mean TU probably doesn't too. Maybe they can special order it but if they do, I would guess to be around $140+ dollars, what's a Felpro worth?

8shelbyz8
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I called fwd. I sent the cam gears back to have them remachined. I guess the head somehow is different. There were other situations like his too though. Not real clear on it all though.

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I called fwd. I sent the cam gears back to have them remachined. I guess the head somehow is different. There were other situations like his too though. Not real clear on it all though.

Interesting, what year head do you have?

larryB
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM

I'm running the 5 layer gasket on my hybrid. After reading about them on the Neon forums I decided to try it. I used 2 Victor Reinz gaskets part #54044A fits the early DOHC head, they are 3 layers each. Remove the rivets on both and just add the top and bottom layers off one gasket to the top and bottom of the other. Just don't mix up the layers. Keep the top layers together and the bottom layers together and dump the one extra middle layer you'll have left over. Rivet back together. I guess if your really careful about keeping them straight you can probably get by without re-riveting, I riveted. Only problem is your $40.00 gasket is now an $80.00 gasket, still reasonable.
DCR says they hold more pressure.

About an hour with an dremel and you can notch the pistons for more clearance. I'm running 8 valve J&E pistons I notched them for about 3/16" more clearance. Even with the added clearance there is not room for the intake valve to open fully with the piston at TDC, didn't check the exhaust valves.

8shelbyz8
01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
I have a 2000 head.

Russ Jerome
02-01-2009, 12:30 AM
There is a lot of extra casting material on the head that
can be sanded off to clear the gears, the more you clean
up the head for the cam gears the less you will need to
shim out the crank gear. I take enough off the head so
I dont need to shim any gears out for perfect belt
alignment.

Im assuming your gears were rubbing up against the