PDA

View Full Version : Relastic power from a 3.0 turbo?

ShadowFromHell
01-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Thinking of swapping a 3.0/v6-413 into a rampage I have for something different. Of course, down the road I would turbocharge it :). On stock internals with say a holset hx/hy35 turbo, what kind of power could I produce? Building a built motor isnt really a option, as I am poor. lol.

Dustin

Ondonti
01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
300whp+ if you keep the tune safe and dont advance the timing and run premium.

nmw2006
01-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Is that holset a good choice?

Are there any other turbos that are sized closely for our engine?

I am in the same boat with the poor/cheap category LOL

Just asking as i will be looking for a turbo sometime in the near future for my R/T.

Thanks

ShadowFromHell
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
300hp stock rods/pistons/heads? WOW.Im a fabricator so manifolds and things like that are cheap for me, just the big parts that cost me $$$

Ondonti
01-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Well, yeah. You just have to be careful about the pistons. A little detonation and they will hurt. Pre 1992ish pistons should be stronger also. The 1992+ pistons (not sure when the exact change was) are 8.9:1 and have the top ring located more close to the top of the piston, so the intake valve relief is really close the the ringland.

Of course, mine stood up to 5-8psi boost with the ignition accidentally advanced to 24 degrees. 10psi leaning out the stock pump killed my old stock pistons.

If you upgrade the pistons, you pretty much have a motor capable of 600whp if the stock heads will flow enough (maybe not). But if you ever get there, then headwork for a 3.0 is very very cheap from Ed.

With meth injection and premium gas, I would love to see how far the stock motor (even 1992 plus) can go! Staying away from detonation is the key.
You might need to regap the top ring for huge power but if you keep combustion temps down (meth injection) even that might not be a big problem.

I haven't spent too much time comparing holset turbos to 3.0L displacement motors. I would go "big" on the holset because they tend to spool earlier then other turbos.

shelbyplaya
01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
toss a turbo DOHC 6g72 in there with custom mounts and with a good cal and the proper supporting mods your your good up to around 600hp

Vigo
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
there is nothing easy or cheap about that. I know one guy who went pretty far on a dohc/twin turbo spirit project and the only thing he was able to use was the longblock. ie ALL CUSTOM EVERYTHING outside the exhaust ports. headers, different turbos, downpipes, charge pipes, flipped plenum, etc etc etc and it wont run on stock electronics. Also stock turbos wont do 600 hp and replacing TWO turbos to get there is way more expensive than buying one big one in the first place. BADBADBAD.

the sohc 3.0 has been proven to make good power with a turbo. Look around at all the people who've turboed their 3.0s, and pretty much all of them have trapped 100 mph on 5 psi non intercooled. I mean seriously. Thats cheap and easy. No reason to spend a million bucks building this or that unless you just want to prove a point. a simple turbo setup on a stock motor will go plenty fast.

ShadowFromHell
01-23-2009, 02:06 AM
That was honestly my thought. Light L-body, 3.0, "413", and a big hot air turbo. If you could get a 3000lb spirit to trap 100mph that way, it would be scary in a rampage!

nmw2006
01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Ondonti..

What turbo did you use in your first build? I am looking for something that will do the 5-8 psi or so efficiently with or without an intercooler.

Anyone else have any ideas? The holset sounds good but also rather pricey.

Just looking for info. Thanks guys.

Vigo
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
yeh remember you can pick a turbo that will be fairly thermally efficient non-intercooled. On the old 8-valve motors its tough because you need that boost asap or you're going nowhere. On a light 3.0 car even when you're out of boost you're moving pretty good so if it doesnt spool that early its no great loss.

However i would be looking around asking about people who have tried 3.0s in l-bodies before because i think its been done or attempted and theres definitely some clearance issues. Might have to relocate accessories and whatnot.

ShadowFromHell
01-23-2009, 08:50 PM
There is a guy on TD that has one in his page. Looks like a bolt in other then mounts, and you have to move the radiator forward. I think he used a jeep Cherokee radiator. I have a VW fwd one that would work good, a lot of neon guys use them.

Ondonti
02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
ebay turbo. kkk brand K27. Similar to a 57 trim but flows a little more.
Its hard to find a turbo that is happy on a 3.0 at low boost because the turbos wont move enough air at low boost pressures.
You will be happy with a bigger turbo. I actually saw slightly better MPG because my 3" exhaust probably didnt help n/a mileage, and the car drove like normal in the city.

The Omni is probably just a plenum problem if something doesnt fit. The easy way to turbo a 3.0 involves plenum spacers and flipping the plenum backwards. That takes away hood clearance. There are ways to get around all that though.

Or you can do Ed Kelly's turbo manifold that doesn't need to change the plenum location.

Vigo
02-05-2009, 09:49 PM
seems like if you fab the crossover pipe yourself you could move the turbo over enough to keep the plenum where it is, especially if you go non intercooled and only have to fit one pipe in the area where an intercooled car would have two. Ive seen non ic setups with the stock plenum orientation, but cant remember whose...

Ondonti
02-06-2009, 05:42 AM
the original is the Shelby turbo 3.0 but Shelby built a custom intake manifold for those that move the TB to be located over the front valve cover :)

It might be possible to flip the plenum with as little as 1/4 or 3/8" of plenum, and there is also the possibility of using the Diamante/3000gt distributor cap which has the plugs on the side instead of the top. the problem with the plenum flip is hitting the plug wire connectors. I never tried to see what the minimum requirements for a plenum flip are.

Anthony on facebook just posted videos of his turbo 3.0 a543 minivan on 5psi. Its a riot!!!!!!!

Ondonti
02-06-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2atLBT3xCXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNUiGGxBfHU

hunt_x
03-05-2009, 07:24 AM
what about dual remote turbo's a couple of little ones from the Early 2.2s would spool up nice and build pretty good boost and the long piping coming back from the turbo works like an inter cooler I saw a kid with NA 300 zx had this set up and he was keeping up with factory TT setups I think water injection is a must but what I'm wondering what ECU do you use ? or would be best for a turbo v6 and what cal? could you use the mitsu turbo ECU?

Ondonti
03-05-2009, 08:06 AM
what about dual remote turbo's a couple of little ones from the Early 2.2s would spool up nice and build pretty good boost and the long piping coming back from the turbo works like an inter cooler I saw a kid with NA 300 zx had this set up and he was keeping up with factory TT setups I think water injection is a must but what I'm wondering what ECU do you use ? or would be best for a turbo v6 and what cal? could you use the mitsu turbo ECU?

Why would you do that when you can get a turbo manifold already or build your own.

300zx have one of the worse engine bays for working on. No space.
We dont have that issue. If you cant build your own real turbo setup in the engine bay then you wont be able to get a mitsu ECU running. They have nothing in common with us unfortunately. Waste of money though. Would end up costing you more then a Megasquirt system.

Vigo
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
For ease of working on id rather have a rear mount turbo 300zx than a factory tt car. That engine bay sucks.

With these cars there is plenty of room to put the turbo in the engine bay, and with the 3.0 in particular its a very convenient motor/engine bay to stick a turbo on. Just make sure and protect your wiring and brake reservoir from the heat.