PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Stage 1 PCM for '03 and newer?

fleckster
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I am aware that the Stage 1 kits for the '04 and '05 do not come with injectors as those cars came with them from the factory. So other then getting a set of injectors, is there actually a difference in an '04 computer being used in an '03 car? :confused2:

contraption22
01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
'03 and '04 PCM's are physically and funtionally interchangable, with exception to the 2004's expecting the larger injectors. Of course you still have to have to have the VIN flashed into the PCM for the car to actually run:)

fleckster
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
The VIN flash is no problem. I have a friend who is offering the Stage 1 out of his '04 but I wanted to know if I could use it if I got the higher flowing injectors. Sounds like I can use it and will get a good deal on it...if I can find injectors cheap. Anyone upgrade their '04 or '05 to Stage 2 and still has their stock injectors they might sell reasonably?

contraption22
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
The Stage 1 is a really nice upgrage on an '03 car.

glhs727
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
John,
I can help you out on the injuectors and a cheap s1 if needed.
Later,
Cindy

rich tideswell
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM
2003 was a computer and injector kit, where as 2004/ 2005 was just a brain.

2004 stock injectors = 2003 Stage1 injectors, so to use the 2004 kit on your 2003, get your buddys injectors as well.

If you have a 2005 car, a 2003/2004 kit will interchange so long as you add the battery temp sensor from the 2003/2004 wiring harness. S&P Development sells a kit. Without this kit, the CEL stays lit up, but poses no functional issues.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f221/how-install-s-p-developments-battery-temperature-sensor-fix-346502/

fleckster
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I was aware of the injectors but my buddy doesn't have a set of injectors to go with the Stage 1 PCM. It's a long story but basically, the car is getting repo-ed and he is pulling the performance parts off before it goes. It will have to have the stock injectors and computer in it to run so therefore no injectors to go with the Stage 1 PCM. He is offering it to me very cheap so I was making sure that the only difference was the injectors before I went looking for a set.

turboz523
01-20-2009, 10:19 PM
You can't use an '04 on up computer on an '03 for several reasons. I know this because I had an '03 pt gt and bought a pcm off ebay for what turned out to be an '04. Installed injectors from an '04 srt-4, put the pcm in, flashed the vin into the pcm with a DRB (I worked at a chrysler dealer at the time) and started the car. It started right up but the cooling fan was running fast as hell and the check engine light was on. I compared the pinouts of both '03 and '04 pcms and the fan controls are completely different as well as cruise control and one or two other things. Luckily for me, the guy that sold it to me worked at Flight Systems which is the place that created those pcms to begin with and just happens to be 10 miles down the road from me. I was able to take the pcm to him and he used their equipment to erase the programming and reprogram it with the '03 stage 1 program. Worked great till I put the car back to stock and sold it. I still have the '03 stage 1 pt gt pcm if anyone is interested pm me, I'll let it go for pretty cheap, I don't need it anymore.

contraption22
01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
You can't use an '04 on up computer on an '03 for several reasons. I know this because I had an '03 pt gt and bought a pcm off ebay for what turned out to be an '04. Installed injectors from an '04 srt-4, put the pcm in, flashed the vin into the pcm with a DRB (I worked at a chrysler dealer at the time) and started the car. It started right up but the cooling fan was running fast as hell and the check engine light was on. I compared the pinouts of both '03 and '04 pcms and the fan controls are completely different as well as cruise control and one or two other things. Luckily for me, the guy that sold it to me worked at Flight Systems which is the place that created those pcms to begin with and just happens to be 10 miles down the road from me. I was able to take the pcm to him and he used their equipment to erase the programming and reprogram it with the '03 stage 1 program. Worked great till I put the car back to stock and sold it. I still have the '03 stage 1 pt gt pcm if anyone is interested pm me, I'll let it go for pretty cheap, I don't need it anymore.

Perhaps there are more differences between 03 and 04 PT Turbos than there are between 03 and 04 SRT-4's. My stage 2 PCM was installed in an 03 SRT-4 by the original owner. Aside from a VIN reflash, it works in my 04 with no issues.

SRT-4's have no cruise control and some other differences that I would imagine would make PT turbo pcm's more complex.

bill2
01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Perhaps there are more differences between 03 and 04 PT Turbos than there are between 03 and 04 SRT-4's.

According to flight systems pt s1's are not interchangeable between years. Srt4 s1's are interchangeable, even the 05's can be used on 03/04's with wiring in a battery temp sensor. I've been told flight systems can do a reflash on 05 s1's for 03/04 so that no temp sensor is needed.