PDA

View Full Version : Lebaron convertible sound deadning

neongary
01-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Anyone think there is any benefit to putting expanding foam in the reinforcement areas for a J-body Lebaron convertible to make the car a little quieter? There are some huge spaces underneath the tunnel areas.

jre97
01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Or you could pack some carpet padding under the console.

neongary
01-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Or you could pack some carpet padding under the console.

True, but there are the other areas that I'd like to get too. The area where the front seats go would be difficult to stuff padding in there. Wondered if anyone used expanding foam for this application.

jre97
01-12-2009, 12:03 AM
I filled in the rocker panels and cab corners on an old chevy truck before with it, but it also got roof cement on the floor pans, household carpet padding, and black automotive carpet on the floor pans and more carpet padding behind the door panels so I'm not sure what made the biggest difference. It was pretty quiet for a beat up old 76 model truck after that.

neongary
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Decided that I'm going to go ahead to do it. Not sure how many cans I'll need, but will start with 5 or so.
Ordered some Second Skin Damplifier sound deadner (equivilant to Dynamat Xtreme but cost less) to help out too.

gkcooper
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
A lot of newer cars have "Structural Foam" in the voids like the A and B pillars. You can buy the stuff. Check with your local paint supply store.

Take pics and document the difference.

neongary
01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
A lot of newer cars have "Structural Foam" in the voids like the A and B pillars. You can buy the stuff. Check with your local paint supply store.

Take pics and document the difference.

I haven't found anyone that's heard of "structural foam" locally. I did some looking on the 'net and see that a lot of OEM manufacturers use the stuff and it looks interesting, but nothing that indicates that this is something a DIY can do at home.
Any sources that you know of?

135sohc
01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Fusor structural foam
http://www.azautobodysupply.com/19futestfo.html

Gearhead24-7
01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I filled the rockers and unibody channels on mine with SEM 39997 rigid foam. It makes a big difference.

neongary
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Wow, thanks. I'm definitely going to look into those products. Probably need to wait until the garage gets above freezing before I start using them.