PDA

View Full Version : HELP - seized front control arm bolt

BlueBaron
04-06-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm tying to remove the '93 A-arms from my frame, so I can put in a set of '90 arms. Problem is, I can't get the front hinge bolt out. It's rusted solid in the sleeve, which just turns with the bolt, inside the old bushing.

I can get at the passenger side with a BFH, but it won't budge. I'm just mushrooming the end of the bolt. (put the nut on once, but it just mashed the nut too)

I'm looking for ideas other that these:

Pull the strut/spindle and axle, and get in there with a sawsall, cutting the bolt on either side of the arm.

Just pay the $100 it would cost for another frame from the local wrecker, and pull this whole thing off.

Turbodave
04-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Heat it up with a torch.

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I cut the ends off with a torch, its the only way. Once there seized, I have never been able to get them off, on any vehicle. If you don't have a torch, you will have to try and cut them off with a sawzall or as you said, just go buy another K-member but then, the bolts holding that on could be seized also????????:banghead:

BlueBaron
04-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I cut the ends off with a torch, its the only way.

I have a propane torch I used to heat the nuts off (ha ha). But it was useless to try heating the sleave when it's blocked by an insulating rubber bushing. I don't know if I have access to a cutting torch. I'll give the saws all a try first.

...or as you said, just go buy another K-member but then, the bolts holding that on could be seized also????????:banghead:

Then they would use the torch or whatever, as I'd let the yard take it off for me, and I ain't paying for arms. :D

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Then they would use the torch or whatever, as I'd let the yard take it off for me, and I ain't paying for arms. :D

No, the K-member to frame bolts.

BlueBaron
04-07-2006, 04:17 AM
No, the K-member to frame bolts.

:lol:

I had to laugh out loud when I read what you were refering too. I bought this '93 frame and arms as an assembly, but decided to go with stamped arms in the end.

Well when I picked up the frame assembly, they had simply used a torch to cut through the chassis. I had to remove the bolts myself and the 1-1/2" worth of red Daytona that was left behind. lol

Turbodave
04-11-2006, 02:58 PM
I have a propane torch I used to heat the nuts off (ha ha). But it was useless to try heating the sleave when it's blocked by an insulating rubber bushing. I don't know if I have access to a cutting torch. I'll give the saws all a try first.

What I've done is burn the rubber out of the bushing then get a vice grips clamped on the sleeve, heat the sleeve up with the torch and then use the impact to spin the bolt free. Has worked every time for me, but it's a messy smelly pain in the rear to do.

87glhs232
04-11-2006, 05:57 PM
What about an air hammer?

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2006, 11:12 PM
What about an air hammer?

Nope.

R/T
04-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Just went through this with my Son's car - we had to cut the bold head off with a sawzall, then wiggle the control arm out.

PITA. :mad:

iTurbo
04-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Just went through this with my Shelby Lancer, which is all '91 front suspension now. I didn't want to deal with it so I dropped it off at a machine shop and they got it out no problem.

WVRampage
04-16-2006, 10:59 PM
anti seize when it goes back togather then in the future no problem,but to remove them the only way I see is a sawzall or torch therse also a oil thats real good its called KROIL I dont know were you could get some but we use it at work and it will free almost anything and if it wont its done for,dont know where you could get it at but if you find some its a good thing to have around.

The S is Silent
04-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Reading these posts makes me think how lucky I get sometimes. I was on a short time-table to rebuild the front suspension on the Horizon for my brother. If I would have run into this problem, I would have been screwed.