PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of Bob Marsh

2.216VTurbo
01-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Tonight in Vegas was the Shelby Bash '09 awards banquet. 400+ Shelby Mustang folks and 10 or so Shelby Dodge folks:thumb: After we had dinner and heard from a couple 'back in the day' guys Roger and Jim about the 'history' of Shelby and his passion for building cars, the 10 or so of us were left feeling that the SD content was a little light during the history review. (the word "Dodge was spoken once by those two guys:() Rick Titus (Jerry Titus' son) did a better job, he told an awesome story about his 'first big assignment' as editior of Hot Rod Magazine was the 86 GLHS VS GT 350 comparo. He said that after the S soundly trounced the 350 in the performance tests they decided last minute to make it a cover story. He said that was the most hate mail he had ever gotten as editor for that magazine :D Still, we took a little vote and decided that one of us should go up and say a few words about the passion Carroll feels for Dodges then and still today (I talked to him today about Dodges but that's another story:thumb: Carroll to me: So how much power you gettin' out of your GLHS? I *only* get 350 from mine:hail:) So pretty much I went up there and pointed out that he made 6050 cars he felt strongly about in the 80's and we are very thankful to be included in the Team Shelby events. Don't recall exactly what I said but something to the Ford group to feel free to come up to 'us' and say hello sometime:D

Pretty much I figured that it was gonna be left at that but there was a nice little shocker at the end of the cerimonies By Cleo Shelby, Carroll's wife. In her closing speech she mentioned the Dodge cars:wow1: and that she was thankful to have our participation:hail: She also went on to say that Bob Marsh (I believe he was project planner at the Whittier plant) although he was dying from ALS (Lou Gehrig's) still would come to work at SAI and campain for the Dodge era cars to be included in any future club events and activities.:clap2: She she also recounted a story (later at her table while I was thanking her for mentioning the Dodges:eyebrows:)that when he was in the hospital and speaking thru his oxygen mask, he was still insisting that the Shelby Dodges not be forgotten in the club!. Way to go Bob, we lost a real champion. Every Shelby Dodge owner owes him a debt:amen: At her table she said to me "Stay with us, don't let the Dodge club go away" It was kinda humbling for me, if that's possible:p

sdac guy
01-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the story, and for representing us well Alan. :thumb:

When we were out there in 2003 for the Shelby Charger anniversary event, Bob took a few of us to lunch to discuss not only the past of the Shelby Dodges, but the future also. A truly sincere gentleman, he will always be missed.

Barry

Captain Chaos
01-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for keeping us in the race Mr Marsh and see you at the finish line!

Thanks for being the voice of reason to a few. I'm sure there were also some great people participating.

CSX321
01-11-2009, 10:58 PM
At the Unique Performancefest in DFW in 2003, when the Lone Star club pulled into the parking lot, Bob Marsh literally ran to us from the Shelby trailer! He spent a couple of hours talking about the Dodges, and was very good to us that day.

scrampage1
01-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks for educating the Shelby Ford guys about the Shelby Dodges Alan!! :clap:

I met Bob Marsh in Las Vegas with Dennis Cote, while SEMA 2004 was in full swing. Originally, we alloted about 4 hours to hang out at Shelby American. But, Bob seemed to be having a ball having a couple of Shelby Dodge guys there at SA that I said screw SEMA for that day. Everyone at SA that he introduced us to, he would introduce us as Shelby Dodge guys with extreme pride.

He was definitely the right guy to be in charge of Shelby Dodge production!! :nod:

He kept the Shelby Dodge torch up high for us till he passed away. :(

During my visit to Shelby American, he did let me and Dennis in on something that I was not allowed to repeat at the time.

That there was to be a club in the works that was to unite the Shelby Ford and Shelby Dodge guys together. As I'm sure you've figured out, that club is Team Shelby.

You can read about my visit to Bob Marsh by clicking on the link.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/f26/68666-questions-shelby-dodge-production.html

I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but, Bob did own a 1987 Shelby Lancer.

There was a photo taken on that day with me, Dennis, Bob, and Carroll Shelby. Yes, Carroll showed up prior to our departure.

Normally, I wouldn't put up a picture where I'm present. But, I'll go ahead and post the picture unaltered, with the exception of the text.

I want those that didn't Bob, to see the person that championed our Shelby Dodges at Shelby American. :amen:

Thanks Bob!!

Ray
Central California

2.216VTurbo
01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Nice post Ray, thanks:) I wish you had a little more time to spend here, as an original member of CaSDAC and an extremly knowledgeable SD guy in general, I know you have a lot to offer here. BTW, can I see the pic you have of the 'other' red GLHS sometime?

scrampage1
01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Nice post Ray, thanks:) I wish you had a little more time to spend here, as an original member of CaSDAC and an extremly knowledgeable SD guy in general, I know you have a lot to offer here. BTW, can I see the pic you have of the 'other' red GLHS sometime?

You're too kind Alan! :)

I coulda sworn you asked me to destroy that picture when I first met you. I think you wanted to have the only Red Charger GLHS. :eyebrows:

Well, funny you should mention that GLHS. Shaun Murphy from Santa Maria purchased an H-Body hatch I pulled from a 1986 Dodge Lancer Pacifica. He came by a couple of days ago on Saturday. I have 3 of these. Glad to get rid of one to someone willing to use it. :thumb:

Well, you know when a couple of Shelby Dodge guys get together, we'll just shot the sh** all day long. We actually discussed that Red GLHS. :blah:

We're under the assumption that although that 'S' car left the Shelby Automobiles with a black exterior, it was repainted red when I saw it. Then it was repainted blue. This is when Shaun purchased it.

This would be 1987 Shelby GLHS #0050. Underneath the blue exterior, you could see the red and the black paint.

It looks like they, the dealership, used factory Dodge Daytona colors for the Flash Red and the Blue paint jobs.

I took the picture some 18 years ago, 1988-89ish. This is pre-digital camera.

I should also note, that the window sticker showed a markup of $5,000.00 on the purchase price of the car. It doesn't show it in the photo, but, there was some kind of funky stripe on the sides of the 'S' car. :confused:

Enjoy!! :)

Ray
Central California :drum:

BadAssPerformance
01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
They didnt look happy when Alan grabbed the mike... but it was all good :clap: Mad props to Shebly Dodge recognition! :D