PDA

View Full Version : Porting the intake.

black86glhs
01-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Pulled the upper intake earlier in the snow so I could begin the porting process. Here are a couple pics of one ported and unported runner.

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Looks like you can still go a bit larger, :thumb:

Did your kid port that or were you drunk? :eyebrows:

black86glhs
01-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Looks like you can still go a bit larger, :thumb:

Did your kid port that or were you drunk? :eyebrows:#1....I was thinking a little bit more, just wanted to take some pics.:D
#2....Yes to both.:eyebrows:

black86glhs
01-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I like it when they go a bit larger, :thumb:

Did your kid port that or were you drunk? :eyebrows:Fixed it for ya Simon!:thumb:
:lol::lol:

GLHNSLHT2
01-10-2009, 12:54 AM
I wonder how much you can open up the inside radius of the upper plenum. I was thinking of making it like a funnel into the lower.

Shadow
01-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Shouldn't a before and after be of the same port? :confused: :p My thinking years ago was to port the top half as much as I could to effectively "shorten" the runner. (by increasing it's section width) The trick is to go gasket size (or as close as you can get) all the way into the plenum and then you can funnel the lower half, you really have no choise because you can't port it full size, even if you wanted to. (not enough material) Good start! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Shouldn't a before and after be of the same port? :confused: :p My thinking years ago was to port the top half as much as I could to effectively "shorten" the runner. (by increasing it's section width) The trick is to go gasket size (or as close as you can get) all the way into the plenum and then you can funnel the lower half, you really have no choise because you can't port it full size, even if you wanted to. (not enough material) Good start! :thumb:

Not a bad thought, I got scared of the bulb thing, so left the upper alone, I just wanted to get rid of the air hitting a brick wall, :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
01-11-2009, 02:16 AM

Shadow I'm glad my thinking on that wasn't entirely off a couple months ago when looking at a stock upper plenum. Looks like there is pleny of material towards the front to be able to do that.

Do you think maybe at one time the intake was the full size of the gasket? and they added material to choke the motor off? kinda like the intake to head gasket and the 655? Just a thought.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Do you think maybe at one time the intake was the full size of the gasket? and they added material to choke the motor off? kinda like the intake to head gasket and the 655? Just a thought.

I think that makes sense, I mean the gasket is alot bigger, not just a hair.

black86glhs
01-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Shouldn't a before and after be of the same port? :confused: :p My thinking years ago was to port the top half as much as I could to effectively "shorten" the runner. (by increasing it's section width) The trick is to go gasket size (or as close as you can get) all the way into the plenum and then you can funnel the lower half, you really have no choise because you can't port it full size, even if you wanted to. (not enough material) Good start! :thumb:Sorry Robert, I don't think like you Canadians!:evil::p You get the idea anyway.:thumb:
I did finish all the runners to my liking. They aren't perfect, but are a good bit larger than before.:nod: Just need to smooth them out and I'm finished with it. Next will be the lower.

Shadow
01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry Robert, I don't think like you Canadians!:evil::p

OUCH! Now that really hurt! :mad: :lol:

4 l-bodies
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I wonder how much you can open up the inside radius of the upper plenum. I was thinking of making it like a funnel into the lower.
If you open the upper too much, you will need to weld up the upper, just like the lower. It gets thin in a few places. I inherited one that was paper thin in a few areas. I think the gasket was made the way it was to account for lots of core shift. Those manifolds seem to have a lot of it.
Todd