PDA

View Full Version : rocker removal

shellboy
01-09-2009, 04:51 PM
when taking the rocker shafts off the head it there any tricks i should know? proper bolt removal sequence? im gonna replace the retainers with titanium ones from cindy. had a stocker brake on me a few weeks back. just hope the piston is o.k.!!

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Just start at the ends and work your way in, loosen a bit at a time until all the tension is off. I like to use a long screwdriver under the valve side of the rocker arms so they all don't over when removing. Also watch for the lifters and the discs falling out at the same time.

shellboy
01-09-2009, 07:02 PM
at the ends and not the center?

turbovanmanČ
01-09-2009, 07:13 PM
at the ends and not the center?

Start at the ends and work in, when installing, opposite.

CaptMoe
01-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Jackson must be hibernating.
He'd be all over this thread with the proper sequence and torque specs...:D

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Jackson must be hibernating.
He'd be all over this thread with the proper sequence and torque specs...:D

Whats torque specs? :confused: lol!

Blue Iroc R/T
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Not quite an answer to what you ask, but when removing the Valve Spring Retainers, you will find that a lot of the standard Valve Spring Compressors are difficult if not impossible to use, on the T-III (or 8v) Heads with out making some kind of adaptor. IF you can find either a KD 3087 (prefered) or a KD 2400 (will do the job) you won't have much problem in changing the retainers. They often pop up on ebay, but I just did a search and none there at this time. Here are some pics: http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/valve_spring_compressor With this tool, the retainers can be swapped with the head on the car. Simply run the piston down, insert about 2-3 feet of Nylon rope, then bring the piston up slowly by hand to hold the valves in place. Then using a Deep well socket placed on top of the retainer, rap the socket sharply to break the keeper loose from the retainer, then use the Valve Spring Compressor to compress the Spring and remove the Keepers.
Sorry, if this is more that what you ask and you already know this. But maybe someone else reading might not have done this before. :thumb:

bansheenut420
01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Starting from the end and working in is NOT the correct sequence. And also there is a two step torque sequence to the rocker shafts. I dont have it right here with me, but its posted on the other site. Proper sequence and torque is VERY important!

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Starting from the end and working in is NOT the correct sequence. And also there is a two step torque sequence to the rocker shafts. I dont have it right here with me, but its posted on the other site. Proper sequence and torque is VERY important!

Sure it is, :D

Thats when you remove, opposite when you install.

bansheenut420
01-12-2009, 04:36 PM
The way you said that could be taken in a way that is not the correct way to do it.
9 4 7 1 5 2 6 3 8 Is the correct sequence for putting them on. So, yes you were right, but it was kinda confusing.

shellboy
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
thanks for all the info. took the head off on sunday piston has a small scuff from the valve hitting it. but it looks good. im gonna look for a kd 3087 so i can take the retainers off.

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2009, 08:54 PM
thanks for all the info. took the head off on sunday piston has a small scuff from the valve hitting it. but it looks good. im gonna look for a kd 3087 so i can take the retainers off.

Have the valve and guide checked, they could be bent and broken.

If you have the head off, take it to a machine shop, they'll probably charge you $20 to swap the retainers off or free with some beer, :nod:

shellboy
02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
yup, bent a valve and broke the bottom off the guide. i had them replaced with new parts from cindy. $15 is what he charged me to R&R them..did the titanium retainers myself. head goes on the car this sunday!!:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
yup, bent a valve and broke the bottom off the guide. i had them replaced with new parts from cindy. $15 is what he charged me to R&R them..did the titanium retainers myself. head goes on the car this sunday!!:eyebrows:

Did he check so see if the valve and seat matched after the guide was redone, usually they need cutting.

GLHSKEN
02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
The way you said that could be taken in a way that is not the correct way to do it.
9 4 7 1 5 2 6 3 8 Is the correct sequence for putting them on. So, yes you were right, but it was kinda confusing.

Thanks... I take it reinstall is opposite?

bansheenut420
02-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks... I take it reinstall is opposite?

yup. There is also a 2 step torque sequence that I will have to check when I have my book handy.

iTurbo
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Actually the removal and install sequence is slightly different (not simply reversed). 1st step is 105 in/lbs, 2nd step is 210 in/lbs.

shellboy
02-20-2009, 01:18 AM
i took him a new valve when he did the guide. he re-cut the seat for me and set up the new valve. i had a valve lock explode and it fell between the seat and valve. put in a pretty good dent in the seat surface..but its as good as new now.:D

bansheenut420
02-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Actually the removal and install sequence is slightly different (not simply reversed). 1st step is 105 in/lbs, 2nd step is 210 in/lbs.

1 6 3 8 5 9 4 7 2
9 4 7 1 5 2 6 3 8

:confused: Looks like its opposite to me.

iTurbo
02-20-2009, 01:37 AM
I could have swore Ralph used to have a scan from the FSM on his site but I can't find it now. I know I have it somewhere but I would have to scan and upload it.

bansheenut420
02-20-2009, 01:52 AM
I could have swore Ralph used to have a scan from the FSM on his site but I can't find it now. I know I have it somewhere but I would have to scan and upload it.

I cheated and looked at the book. :D

Blue Iroc R/T
02-21-2009, 12:15 AM

Here you go Jeremy: Figure 8 http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/image/40589656

I didn't even remember that I had it posted. lol

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
i took him a new valve when he did the guide. he re-cut the seat for me and set up the new valve. i had a valve lock explode and it fell between the seat and valve. put in a pretty good dent in the seat surface..but its as good as new now.:D

Good, just checking, $15 is awfully cheap, :eyebrows: