PDA

View Full Version : About to put the 555/520 in, what else to replace?

mcsvt
04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Ok, Looks like I can finally put a new trans in my car. Bought a 555/520 hybrid and the Kevlar TU clutch setup. I was going to replace my clutch cable when I do the change just in case. The current trans has an RPS 1100 clutch in it and is a bear to depress, plus it hasn't felt extremely smooth lately. Also was going to buy a rear seal since I will be in there.

What else do you recommend replacing? I learned the other day that my cables don't use bushings like 568's and such use. But is there something else I should be replacing on the cable ends? Rod conversion? I have no idea you tell me :)

Thanks,

tryingbe
04-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Input shaft seal and bearing plate for the transmission.

The clutch cable grommet (bushing) at the clutch lever.

mcsvt
04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Should have mentioned the trans has zero miles on it. Still trying to find out if it has the moly plate or not. Only seals I need to change are the axle seals.

grommet/bushing at clutch lever - check, thanks for the suggestion

tryingbe
04-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Zeros miles as it has been in storage or rebuilt?

I'd change that input shaft seal regardless. I mean, do you REALLY want to save that $6 and have the possiblity that the seal might leak and you'll have to pull the tranny out the second time?

Just take the end cover plate off and look at the bearing plate or take picture of it and show us, we can tell if it the stock plate or not.

mcsvt
04-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Zero mile as in, just rebuilt with all new parts. The axle seals weren't replaced because the rebuilder was out of stock at the time from what I am told.

If the person I bought it off doesn't respond to me on the other board by this weekend I will pull the end cover and check it out.

Thanks again for the suggestions :thumb:

mcsvt
04-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Ok, well I got to look at the trans. Didn't take it apart since I don't have my fsm's yet(they are in the mail, maybe). Here is a horrible picture but you can make it out. I think it looks like it does have a moly plate.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/MolyPlate_003.jpg

Garret
04-08-2006, 05:07 PM
looks like two stock plates put together

mcsvt
04-08-2006, 06:16 PM
hmmm... maybe I am looking at the wrong part? I will have to take another picture to try and make it clearer.

Thanks for the help Garret :thumb:

Garret
04-08-2006, 06:28 PM
no that's the right part

SwiftTech
04-10-2006, 02:31 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/MolyPlate_0031.jpg
It is too hard to tell in the pic if you have the moly plate or not. You will have to pull the cover off.

Garret
04-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I am aware of that, it still looked like two plates, although it could be RTV

mcsvt
04-10-2006, 02:57 PM
:thumb: thats what I was wondering. Yeah the picture isn't so good, bad focusing in the rain. I have been asking who ever came into the chat room lately about this. It seems that the consensous is it doesn't have a moly plate in it.

Thanks again for the help, looks like I will be buying one for the added security.

mcsvt
04-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Ok here is what I thought was going to be a better picture. Guess there are to many things to focus on. Camera has manuel focus but not good enough to help, o well.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Moly1.JPG

SwiftTech
04-10-2006, 11:46 PM
do you know who built it? mabey they could tell you.

mcsvt
04-19-2006, 09:01 AM
I asked the person that had it rebuilt but he didn't get back to me yet. I bought a Moly plate from OMNI-Potent anyway.