PDA

View Full Version : '89 csx interior question

Badger
01-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I have a set of very worn Recaro's for an '89 CSX. Cigarette holes, stains, the whole shot. I have a chance to buy a cherry back seat from an '89 csx (with the same shelby material) for a good price. I was thinking of taking the back seat to an upholstery shop and having them strip the shelby material off and then use it to re-upholster the recaro's.

My question is:will this work? Is there enough material on the back seat to re-cover the recaro's and do it correctly?

thanks.....

jonnyb
01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
If you get the top and bottom of the back seat, there might be enough material, but honestly, I don't think it will come out all that great. The cross stitching in the back seats has been there for 20 years so the marks/imprints from it will most likely not come out, and they definitely won't line up with the front seat cross stitching.

It may be better than ripped, cigarette burned fabric, but it's gonna cost quite a bit of money. I would guesstimate $500 for labor - plus you'll need foam and new tweed for the bolsters (probably another $100-$200). All this will be added onto whatever you pay for the rear seats, only to end up with a finished product that probably won't look so great.

Jon

Badger
01-09-2009, 02:46 AM
interesting points Jon........Im not an interior guy so it's a little hard for me to picture in my mind exactly what you mean about the cross stitching and it not lining up and the marks/imprints not coming out correctly. Can you explain exactly what you mean for the inexperienced (like myself).

Regarding the prices you mentioned, it sounds like you work at an interior shop.........do you?

135sohc
01-09-2009, 03:13 AM
You'll see a ghost line from the old stitching, from where it used to be sewn

Look at the seat cover and notice where the visible sewn lines are. now imagine that the thread and everything was gone. You'll still see a line of holes from the needle and a 'line' from where the thread was pulled tight to the fabric as it was sewn.

add 20 years of age and the fabric takes a 'set' to that.

SpiritedShelbys
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
All that PLUS I don't think there is enough material on the back seat, at least not enough to have the letter direction match up. I considered this for a set of seats I have too.

1FastCSX289
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
If you contact postive impressions (the decal guy), I know he had some material for sale at Carlisle last summer. I am sure he wants a good buck, but it might be worth it if the seats come out perfect.

SpiritedShelbys
02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
yep, Dave wants a LOT and I don't blame him.

Badger
02-11-2009, 01:22 AM
yeah......using the back seat material just doesnt look like it would turn out any good as you guys have said. Dave wants a bunch but.......seems he's the only one who has the stuff so guess he can ask as much as he wants for it.

SpiritedShelbys
02-11-2009, 01:31 AM
how bad are the stains man? Dilute some reg fabric detergent in some water and scrub it lightly with a soft brush. OR if you're brave super-clean works wonders on stuff I've consider ruined. I've had terrific results with it.