PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line

CletusJones
04-05-2006, 09:43 AM
About a month ago I replaced my fuel pump and now I seem to have a slight weeping happening in a few spots along the hard fuel line.

I don't really want to have to bend all new metal line at this time, will I have problems running rubber line from the fuel filter to the engine? The car is TBI so there's less than 20PSI of fuel pressure. I'd be using regular 5/8" fuel injection hose from Napa or something.

Is it okay to use regular line instead of braided? I'll be bending up new hard lines when I do my turbo motor swap in about 6 months.

Turbodave
04-05-2006, 10:21 AM
It wouldn't be NHRA legal with that much rubber line, but it would probably be fine until you can fix it right and I'm guessing your not looking to drag race the car with the TBI setup. Just make sure that nothing is rubbing on the rubber line and it's not too close to the exhaust or anything.

CletusJones
04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm not really concerned with NHRA rules, but I do want it to be safe to drive on the roads.
I had planned on routing it along the current hard lines and using zipties to secure it. You think that'll be okay?

turbovanmanČ
04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I don't think its very safe, one snag and its done.

Buy a roll of metal line and just redo it, shouldn't take you more than an hour, just make it so its close to the original routing. You don't really even need to flare the ends, if you use the proper fuel injection hose clamps, it will be fine.

CletusJones
04-05-2006, 11:23 AM
:( that's what I suspected.
I guess I'll be buying a bender and all the necessary tools today after work then. I really didn't want to have to do all that work laying on my back though.

How difficult is it to bend the line for a g-body? Is it really complicated or only a bend or two?

turbovanmanČ
04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Not sure about that. You don't need a bender, you can get a spring, it slides over the pipe and lets you bend it quite easily.

TurbododgePirate
04-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Not sure about that. You don't need a bender, you can get a spring, it slides over the pipe and lets you bend it quite easily.

Can you elaborate on that? I have some 3/8" SS fuel line that I can't bend to save my life. ~~Heath

turbovanmanČ
04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
I have them here, its a coil spring, aprox 8 inches long, slides over the pipe and lets you bend it without crushing it. I will take pics of it later, I never use them so I have to try and find it, lol!

CletusJones
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I'll have to look for a spring like that when I go to the parts store, thanks for the tip.

And just for clarification, it's just regular 3/8" metal line then? Any ideas on length I should get? 10'?

turbovanmanČ
04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
I'll have to look for a spring like that when I go to the parts store, thanks for the tip.

And just for clarification, it's just regular 3/8" metal line then? Any ideas on length I should get? 10'?

Yep and Yep, :nod:

CletusJones
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
sweet, thanks :)