PDA

View Full Version : Noticed something on every Supra...

Dave
12-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Just going through some videos and pics of Supras (MKIV's and MKIII's) and I have noticed that every...single...one has the fart can looking type muffler. :confused: Most of us use Dynomax muffler or Flowmasters, in the more rectangular style.

lol Not trying to rant and rave here, just found it odd that I haven't seen a conventional muffler on one... ever.

BadAssPerformance
12-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Thats cuz the cool supras have like $30 g's invested and typical quick TM's have about $3k... Thas how you can get away with a $60 muffler on a TM and a $600 one on a Supra...

Turbo magazine did a test a while ago on a bunch of straight thru type ricer mufflers and bolted them all onto the same car back to back and they were all within 3 hp of eachother...

BIG PSI
12-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Thats cuz the cool supras have like $30 g's invested and typical quick TM's have about $3k... Thas how you can get away with a $60 muffler on a TM and a $600 one on a Supra...

Turbo magazine did a test a while ago on a bunch of straight thru type ricer mufflers and bolted them all onto the same car back to back and they were all within 3 hp of eachother...

:fencing: haha oh well. Our K-cars are still giving them guys hell. hehe

turbovanmanČ
12-24-2005, 03:02 PM
They use the fart cans as they take up no room, from what I have seen at my friends Rotary shop. Also, if you look thru them, yeah, thats why, lol!

Mopar_Nutz
12-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I always assumed it was because HKS probably doesn't sell anything else. And you haven't upgraded your Supra if you didn't spend the top dollar on HKS :rolleyes:

cordes
01-06-2006, 11:49 PM
I have seen one or two with at regular sized muffler, but not many at all. I would just run the largest pipe I could and not have a muffler. Then again if I had a supra I would go way overboard.

ShelGame
01-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Did anyone ever notice that a 750HP turbocharged Indy Car has an exhaust tip 3-4" in diameter? Why the hell does a 400 HP car need one twice the size?

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Did anyone ever notice that a 750HP turbocharged Indy Car has an exhaust tip 3-4" in diameter? Why the hell does a 400 HP car need one twice the size?

:amen:

cordes
01-08-2006, 08:54 PM

Because if they do it, so should we.:p

Force Fed Mopar
01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Most of the high-power Supras (600-1000hp) run either a top-of-the-line Apexi, Greddy, Tanabe or HKS muffler. All of which are supposed to be excellent mufflers.

As for them not taking up room, I beg to differ. Have you ever seen an Apexi N1 up close? It's like 2.5-3' long and like 7" in diameter, with a 3.5-4" tip. I was gonna get one for my car, till I saw it up close. It's like twice the size of my current UltraFlo, I really don't want something that big hanging off the back off my 'S.

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 11:07 PM
I just quickly browsed thru the new Import Tuner and they do the dyno thing on an EVO. 2nd thing was a full Ti system, can't remember brand, mufflers like were talking about, the car picked up 25hp in the midrange, 6ish on top and 9 ish ft/lbs. They said lag was reduced big time. There were 2 drawbacks, price and it was honking loud, loud enough to have the Police pull him over, lol!

GLHS592
01-09-2006, 12:03 AM

Street Cred dude. :)

cordes
01-09-2006, 12:24 AM
I just quickly browsed thru the new Import Tuner and they do the dyno thing on an EVO. 2nd thing was a full Ti system, can't remember brand, mufflers like were talking about, the car picked up 25hp in the midrange, 6ish on top and 9 ish ft/lbs. They said lag was reduced big time. There were 2 drawbacks, price and it was honking loud, loud enough to have the Police pull him over, lol!

Heck, I used to get pulled over in the NA carger that I had a couple of years back. It doesn't take that much to get pulled over. Might as well get your moneys worth.

turbo xtc
08-15-2006, 02:43 AM
thats why those cars sound like riiiiiiiice bbbbuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeerrrrrrr rrrrr:evil: