PDA

View Full Version : Dead ECU??

LowSL2
01-02-2009, 01:48 AM
I finally got a chance to put the R/T back together this week. I went to fire it up, but got no fire. It cranks, but the ECU doesn't power up. I get no response with the OTC scanner. And a F1-1 error on the traveler. I did all the troubleshooting in the powertrain diagnostic FSM and it points to a bad ECU. How does an ECU die by just sitting there? It worked just fine when I pulled it into the garage to pull the head almost 6 months ago. And now it's dead??

I tried the old ECU that I fried accidentally a couple years ago and it powered up just fine (it still can't control the coil though). I even tried a TBI ECU and it powered up.

I'm really fed up at the moment. I spent a lot of time and money to get this car drivable so I could sell it whole and now I just want to part it out and crush the rest.

Does anyone have a 92 R/T ECU they would like to sell or trade?

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Its possible you shorted something out when putting it back together?? :confused:

Strange things do happen, :(

Something like that should be fixable, try to find an electronics repair shop in your area, I have one locally and he fixe's blown ECM's all the time for me, provided the info chip isn't damaged.

LowSL2
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
The battery wasnt even hooked up. I did that last as a precaution just in case. I'm just fed up. I want to get the sawzall and chop this thing into pieces and sell off all the good stuff. What a nightmare.

"Top Fuel" Bender
01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
didnt you fry an ecu last year too?
sounds like you have really bad wiring issue
or maybe it's not fried just a bad fuseable link or relay with intermitten contact

LowSL2
01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
didnt you fry an ecu last year too?
sounds like you have really bad wiring issue
or maybe it's not fried just a bad fuseable link or relay with intermitten contact

I fried one last year by accidentally clicking a spark module test in the OTC scanner without disconnecting the coil. That fried something inside the ECU that controls the coil. Everything else on the ECU works though (it sees cranking, sensors, can activate the relays, etc).

I spent a few hours tracing every wire that goes from the 60-way connector to it's corresponding devices. Everything ohms out perfectly. I also tried the old, fried ECU and a known good TBI ecu and they both power up (the old fried ECU will try to run the engine for a few revolutions and then dies out).

It's just strange to me that a known, good ecu that was never touched for over 6 months can just die.

I'm ready to trade anything to get this car running and get it sold to someone else so I dont have to chop it up and part it out. Anyone with a spare ECU want to trade some parts?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
If you can't find someone local, send it to me and I can have the shop I use look at it. LMK.