PDA

View Full Version : reversed setup

snoman
12-31-2008, 02:25 AM
I am going to go for a 16v, I really like the idea of having my turbo in the front of the motor. I don't see many other people doing this..... can anyone tell me why? is it simply because of the dist?

Anyone who has gone this route, are you running stand alone? (which one) or off the cam?

any other hang ups I am just not seeing?

BTW thanks for all the great threads and pics....
still looking for the step by step though!

t3rse
12-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Most people don't do it because of packaging, especially in the smaller cars

BadAssPerformance
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Distributor in the way, common neon 2.0L heads flow the other way, routing exhaust exhaust under oil pan, etc... those are a few problems, What is the benefit?

Then again I'm a 2.4L swap guy so I have trouble finding the benefit to most 'hybrids' ;)

snoman
12-31-2008, 12:40 PM
The benifit would be a cool look! and ease of acessing the turbo.
I figured on building a header and routing the exhaust out through the fender.
I wanted to mount my turbo up into my hood, I have a one off f/g hood, which I plan to make a one peice front clip.
More importantly, I want do do something I can get done. My z's been parked for 10 yrs and she really needs to go down the track this year. So I may run the 8v and build the 16 in the garage. I have 2 spare 2.5's just lingering around.

Streetability laws are fairly lax here, but this will be a dedicated racer that is legal. I loved the coil pack soild state ignition on my neon, honestly I dislike dist. but I know very little about any of these stand alones, we ran a greddy on our talon.

I'm just looking to pick up the torch you guys have lit and run with it!
my other project is a 96 mustang 6.0 powerstroke....

BadAssPerformance
12-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey, thats good enough reason right there :thumb: Got pics?

BTW, welcome to the Forum :clap:

t3rse
12-31-2008, 12:51 PM
stang with a a turbo D! I like! Is the motor not too tall in that will have to lay it over and do a custom pan? I was thinking about doing something similar with a cummings.

DCR uses the 420a head. Megasquirt will allow coil on plug ignition, so the only problem will be header and charge pipe routing. I would put the turbo in the passenger headlight location with a bell so you just run the charge pipes down and over and the trans area would remain clean

turbovanmanČ
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Dist is NOT an issue, just run it off the side of the head using Rbryants adapter.

As for the reason, the heads are harder to find and packaging as stated.

Search Darrel Cox Racing, he runs the turbo up front on his Neon.

snoman
12-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Here is my inspiration.
I don't know who I stole this from but he needs some credit, I'll try to figure out who built it.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/chipkinnett/REKIII006.jpg
maybe with the turbo on the pass side and rotated enough to make intake a straight shot through the hood.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Here is my inspiration.
I don't know who I stole this from but he needs some credit, I'll try to figure out who built it.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c115/chipkinnett/REKIII006.jpg
maybe with the turbo on the pass side and rotated enough to make intake a straight shot through the hood.

Maybe DCR?

snoman
01-01-2009, 01:21 AM
I checked out your dizzy plate.
change the alignment on the reluctor and the firing order......thats it?
everything still runs good?

I am looking at the dcr stuff now......wow thats about as simple as a tt can get..........header wise that is.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2009, 01:38 AM
I checked out your dizzy plate.
change the alignment on the reluctor and the firing order......thats it?
everything still runs good?

I am looking at the dcr stuff now......wow thats about as simple as a tt can get..........header wise that is.

Mine is for the TIII, the one you need is from "rbyrant", go here.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/member.php?u=301

Depending on which cam you use, you either leave it alone or go here-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27961&highlight=backwards

snoman
01-01-2009, 04:51 AM
got it!
looks like if I run off the intake it should turn the right direction?
too bad I don't understand the stand alone systems either......im just hosed

8valves
01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
That header looks pretty slick.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2009, 02:54 PM
got it!
looks like if I run off the intake it should turn the right direction?
too bad I don't understand the stand alone systems either......im just hosed

You don't need standalone, you can run the stock computer, which has been socketed, using the dizzy adapter and have a chip burned.

turboshad
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
You don't need standalone, you can run the stock computer, which has been socketed, using the dizzy adapter and have a chip burned.

If he wants to mimick the header and mounting location he posted I don't think a dizzy adaptor would work. If you were to use a ram horn type header then you could look at the dizzy adaptor and SMEC.

Even with the turbo in the back it can be quite accessible. I don't have to remove anything except what is attatched to it to take my turbo off.

DJ

turbovanmanČ
01-06-2009, 06:05 PM
If he wants to mimick the header and mounting location he posted I don't think a dizzy adaptor would work. If you were to use a ram horn type header then you could look at the dizzy adaptor and SMEC.

Even with the turbo in the back it can be quite accessible. I don't have to remove anything except what is attatched to it to take my turbo off.

DJ

I hear you but I think he just posted that pic to show that it was done. If not, then yeah, the dizzy adapter won't work, :(

rbryant
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I am more of a fan of putting the turbo in the back just so I can do things in the engine bay without blistering up the fingers.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to change ANYTHING in an engine bay with that header in it for a good hour after it runs without burning myself.

-Rich

gkcooper
01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Why don't you flip the engine and trans around and make it rotate counter-clockwise? :confused:

snoman
01-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I was looking for a avenger? or stratus or whatever head that has the exhaust in the front but recent new intake designs have turned me back around,

I also may have found a guy thats got an "adaptor" to run a neon coil pack
if I find anything out I'll post it up

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2009, 02:07 AM
I was looking for a avenger? or stratus or whatever head that has the exhaust in the front but recent new intake designs have turned me back around,

I also may have found a guy thats got an "adaptor" to run a neon coil pack
if I find anything out I'll post it up

So your going to do it the normal way?

Shadow
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM
We have gone this way on the Bro's car. Was going to be All SRT but we didn't like the exhaust routing coming from behind to the front and then behind again. The Avenger head simplified things for us. BTW when I was looking at the Avenger heads we got a while back (they were complete with mani's) The exhaust mani looked like a real good "poor mans header". Weld a turbo flange on the end and hang the turbo right out front like the red sled. Then you'll have the clearance you need for the distributor. :thumb:

snoman
01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
what did you use for intake?
custom? got pics?

crazymadbastard
01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
So your going to do it the normal way?

there is this guy making an electronic solution to make the stock 80s' computer read a neon cam sensor, plug and play the computer will think it is just the hep.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2009, 05:51 PM
there is this guy making an electronic solution to make the stock 80s' computer read a neon cam sensor, plug and play the computer will think it is just the hep.

Thanks, but I meant turbo in the back, :D

Shadow
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
what did you use for intake?
custom? got pics?

Custom.....not built yet. :o

snoman
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Got any info on this guy?
the one I found on TD's is using the hep to fire the neon coil,
if there is someone using a cam sensor......hell yeah even better

As far as my turbo location I am still thinking side mount
I am hung up on making the turbo bulge functional