PDA

View Full Version : 1988 crank in common block?

Turbo_Rampage
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey, i'm sure this question has been asked lots of times, but i did a quick search and couldn't come up with any info ...wasn't looking that hard though, :D. Anyways, i'm building up another block for one of my many Daytona's and i want to build a 2.2L. I have a couple good 2.5L turbo common blocks and one 1988 T2 block and i was wondering if i could put the pre-common block forged crank in the common block without any issues? It doesn't matter if i have to run the square tooth timing belt either... i have lots of 88 TBI cams, so it would actually work out better.

Thanks

turbovanmanČ
12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
I thought it was possible but I was wrong without some machining. I thought the front retainers were interchangeable but I just checked and they are not sooooooooo NO, its not a cheap alternative.

Turbo_Rampage
12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the info! I guess i'll just look for an 89+ 2.2L crank. I think i might have a common block TBI motor outside that i can steal the crank out of... I don't think i need a forged crank anyways, according to the Dodge garage. I'm building a bottom end with Wiseco pistons, all ARP hardware and H-beam rods to withstand some good power i have planned, :eyebrows:

OmniLuvr
12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
you can make big power with the cast crank, the difference is, when you have a problem at those big power levels, the forged crank will bend and the cast crank will break. if your making 400 to 500 hp you should be fine.

turbovanmanČ
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info! I guess i'll just look for an 89+ 2.2L crank. I think i might have a common block TBI motor outside that i can steal the crank out of... I don't think i need a forged crank anyways, according to the Dodge garage. I'm building a bottom end with Wiseco pistons, all ARP hardware and H-beam rods to withstand some good power i have planned, :eyebrows:

Nothing wrong with cast and as a bonus, its lighter, :nod:

puppet
12-29-2008, 10:58 PM
you can make big power with the cast crank, the difference is, when you have a problem at those big power levels, the forged crank will bend and the cast crank will break. if your making 400 to 500 hp you should be fine.I've broken a forged crank. Right @ #4 rod journal. There can be "flaws" in anything manmade.

As for the crank swap .. do you have a non-CB front seal retainer to test fit against the CB? Some CB's have a groove machined in front by the #1 main cap .. I understand that some don't? The dimensions of that groove might be your only stumbling block ... that and having to drill (4) new holes to hold the older retainer on. Check it out.

GLHS60
01-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Hey, i'm sure this question has been asked lots of times, but i did a quick search and couldn't come up with any info ...wasn't looking that hard though, :D. Anyways, i'm building up another block for one of my many Daytona's and i want to build a 2.2L. I have a couple good 2.5L turbo common blocks and one 1988 T2 block and i was wondering if i could put the pre-common block forged crank in the common block without any issues? It doesn't matter if i have to run the square tooth timing belt either... i have lots of 88 TBI cams, so it would actually work out better.

Thanks

I have one in my car. It came that way from Chrysler.
Thanks
Randy

shelbymonster
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
i took a look at it and it can be made , you need to fit the old style seal and housing to the common block , so you need to drill holes and tap , and drill oil pan holes too , or machining the front part of the crank to accept the new style seal (machine shop do that easily) im 95 % sure it can works

2.216VTurbo
01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
i took a look at it and it can be made , you need to fit the old style seal and housing to the common block , so you need to drill holes and tap , and drill oil pan holes too , or machining the front part of the crank to accept the new style seal (machine shop do that easily) im 95 % sure it can works

Your gonna have to look at the 'offset' for the late style seal. Although the non CB crank is larger at the seal (making you believe you can just 'turn it down') it is 1/4" off from where the CB crank seals:o Still working on it to convert my 2l Non CB crank to be used into a CB so when I have all the final mods/numbers, I'll post them. As it was mentioned, it might actually be easier to modify the front main seal retainer insted of the crank. My rough mock up shows it might be as easy as welding two retainers 'back to back'

Gus_A_Wiey
05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
so ...?

is this a doable thing???

88_pacifica
05-01-2011, 12:34 PM
You are much better off in the long run trying to find a CB crank if it's a CB or a Non-CB if you have a Non-CB. While it MAY physically look the same, there are subtle differences that would make this setup a PITA to pull off. In the long rub it is cheaper to just use the right piece as it came. They are not that rare/expensive yet and the machining costs would significantly outweigh using the right piece from the gate.

Of, course, you aren't a noob(member since 2006), so you already know this. :thumb:

86trbolancer
05-01-2011, 12:41 PM
In the long RUB it is cheaper to just use the right piece as it came.

Couldn't hold back...sorry

Gus_A_Wiey
05-01-2011, 01:25 PM
You are much better off in the long run trying to find a CB crank if it's a CB or a Non-CB if you have a Non-CB. While it MAY physically look the same, there are subtle differences that would make this setup a PITA to pull off. In the long rub it is cheaper to just use the right piece as it came. They are not that rare/expensive yet and the machining costs would significantly outweigh using the right piece from the gate.

Of, course, you aren't a noob(member since 2006), so you already know this...yeah i know, at least i thought i did...i was asked if it was doable...i answered no, based on the differences i saw when trying to put the 88 fms housing on an '89 cb...i forget why i was even trying...it wasn't like i was swapping the cranks, maybe it was cuz it was a cleaner looking part, less elbow grease to clean it up, is most likely the case...at any rate i tried it and found it wasn't gonna work...after having answered negatively i thought i should be more sure and did a search on the topic here and found this one, one of the more informative threads on the topic...
@ the turbododge forum there are some who think it is a workable idea (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f19/70326-cranks.html)...

so this is why i'm asking :confused2:

88_pacifica
05-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Couldn't hold back...sorry

Nice catch... :thumb:

Obviously I wasn't proofreading that one too well. ;)

...yeah i know, at least i thought i did...i was asked if it was doable...i answered no, based on the differences i saw when trying to put the 88 fms housing on an '89 cb...i forget why i was even trying...it wasn't like i was swapping the cranks, maybe it was cuz it was a cleaner looking part, less elbow grease to clean it up, is most likely the case...at any rate i tried it and found it wasn't gonna work...after having answered negatively i thought i should be more sure and did a search on the topic here and found this one, one of the more informative threads on the topic...
@ the turbododge forum there are some who think it is a workable idea (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f19/70326-cranks.html)...

so this is why i'm asking :confused2:

Yeah, I kinda figured you weren't trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, but it seems like the '88 is like voodoo and nobody knows what that thing is. I went down this road with my Pacifica and I should've just held out for a different year because it seems like everything that year was one-off crap.... :nod:

Juggy
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I have a forged crank here in Windsor if u need one.

turbovanmanČ
05-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Someone either did this or put a cb crank in a non cb block. I can't find the thread, grrrr.

JDAWG
05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
my 88 sundance had square tooth gears, the 88 daytona i just got has round tooth gears and no fuel pump block off, havent ripped the oil pan off to see if it has balance shafts though, anyways, yea 88 had some weird stuff

GLHNSLHT2
05-03-2011, 12:23 AM
because it seems like everything that year was one-off crap.... :nod: I wouldn't call it crap, The 88 square tooth crank gear rocks :)

Juggy
05-03-2011, 12:47 AM
I wouldn't call it crap, The 88 square tooth crank gear rocks :)

quit talking about crank, gear and rocks. your given jay wood here!!!