PDA

View Full Version : whats going on?

daytona90
12-28-2008, 02:02 AM
I have just finished my engine rebuild and trany swap. After a few oil leaks its finally ready for a test drive i back out of the driveway and start going down the road 10mph or less. The car felt like i drove over a speed bump Kind of like i got a flat tire. I have no idea what could cause this. Its a 90 daytona automatic. I put the car on stands and spun both wheels and gave them a shake down everything seems ok. I think i will start the car on the stands put her in drive and see if i can figure out whats going on. Any thoughts on whats going on?

turbovanmanČ
12-29-2008, 03:17 AM
I bet when you put it together, you pulled the inner cv joint out, then it went back together without you noticing so one of the bearings so to speak fell out and now you have a wobble. Does it get worse on acceleration and go away when coasting?

daytona90
12-29-2008, 10:29 AM
well i have only been able to get the car moving about 10mph do to running like crap. But it did do it while driving and when i put it on jack stands and spun the wheels I could not feel anything. I also put it in drive on the stands and everything seemed smooth.

t3rse
12-29-2008, 02:25 PM
run over the neighbor's cat?

daytona90
12-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I wish then all i would have to do is rub some snow on the bloody tire to clean it up and I would be on the road again.:D

86trbolancer
12-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I bet when you put it together, you pulled the inner cv joint out, then it went back together without you noticing so one of the bearings so to speak fell out and now you have a wobble. Does it get worse on acceleration and go away when coasting?

+1

probably a cv shaft problem

daytona90
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
can i repair the cv joint or are these like some Toyota's and you have to by the hole axle.

daytona90
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Also can i feel through the boot what is out of place?

t3rse
12-30-2008, 07:00 PM
you will be better off buying a whole axle

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Also can i feel through the boot what is out of place?

YOu have a tripot at that end, its like a 3 way spider leg, with a roller bearing wheel that alllows movement. They are not held in place except by the boot so when it slides out of the housing, it falls off. You can take it apart and try to reassemble it but most likely, the needle bearings got trashed.

t3rse
12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
not necessarily true...first there is a tripod on the inboard side and a cross-cage on the wheel side. The cross-cage end is held onto the axle with a circlip inside the housing on the end of the shaft...only way to get these out is to beat the cup off the end and then turn the cage 90* and slide the balls out. trans side, there are three different types of axles, tin cans have tabs that are bent over the tripod to hold it in, gkns have a piece that is pressed on similar to the cans, and saginaws have a spring clip that snaps into the tulip that holds the tripod in...all three have a snap ring which holds the tipod to the shaft, and most of them have snap rings on each of the three bearing retainers that hold the races against the needle bearing...point being, unless you have saginaw axles, rebuilding them without the tool to press the end on will be nearly impossible.

daytona90
01-01-2009, 02:05 AM
How do I tell the differance between gkns and saginaw axles? I drove the car agian today after getting a baro solenoid only went about 5MPH with my cv problem, every rotation the wheel makes you feel the bump and the steering will jerks. I think its coming from the passenger side. To bad i screwed one up cuz they seem fairly new boots are in great shape and they are not coverd in grease like the rest of the car was. Once i figure out wich type i have i can order the parts. best price i can find $70 a piece shipped anyone no were i can get a better deal?

thefitisgay
01-01-2009, 03:49 AM
the junkyard

daytona90
01-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I replaced the axles that was not the problem. I decided to drive the car a little faster and farther. It almost feels like something slip or pops and the entire car jerks hard. I replaced the motor mounts is it possible something is out of line. The front mount looks like it can be adjusted but i dont know how. Any ideas what to do?

daytona90
01-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I forgot to add the car does not do this with the front end off the ground. I had it on jack stand put it in drive and massive jerk????:confused2:

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I replaced the axles that was not the problem. I decided to drive the car a little faster and farther. It almost feels like something slip or pops and the entire car jerks hard. I replaced the motor mounts is it possible something is out of line. The front mount looks like it can be adjusted but i dont know how. Any ideas what to do?

What did you replace them with? Alot of aftermarket ones are bad and its again possible you damaged the used ones if you went that way.

Does it wallow under accel and go away on decel?

Turbo_Rampage
01-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I drove the car agian today after getting a baro solenoid only went about 5MPH with my cv problem, every rotation the wheel makes you feel the bump and the steering will jerks.

Are you sure it's not the motor cutting out and causing the car to jerk? Does the car have code 13? My Shadow cut out constantly at any speed the day i bought it, because it had a huge vacuum leak... just something else to look into.

Did you center the engine?

daytona90
01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
I had my dad come help me today turns out the alignment was out of whack thanks for the help.

Vigo
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
dang, musta been WAY off.

ive had cv's cause some crazy --- ----, especially when they have no boots and then you drive through 1+ foot of water....

daytona90
01-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah the front of both tires were pointing outward. The car would make some crazy sounds the front end was loading up and when i hit a patch of ice it unloaded causing the massive car shake. I have no idea how the alignment got so far out. I just replaced the engine and tranny never touched the adjustment for alignment. No boots + water make CV joint go boom:D