PDA

View Full Version : advancing the cam

kwiksilver
12-22-2008, 08:35 AM
so I got an adjustable cam sprocket from FWD motorsports. there are no markings on the sprocket itself indicating advance or retard. I am assuming if I put it on at TDC and rotate the sprocket counterclockwise (towards the firewall) it will advance the cam.
is that correct, or do I have it backwards?

kwiksilver
12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
wow.... 13 veiwers and no responses

either no one knows, or no one cares. :D

Murphy
12-23-2008, 04:35 PM
oh if your looking at the sprocket, when the engine spins, the cam sprocket is moving clockwise correct? which would mean that rotating the cam forward, clockwise, would advance it

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
In our terrible FAQ's-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21122&highlight=advance

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
12-23-2008, 05:02 PM
WE CARE!!!!!!!! JUST DOING THINGS, WATCHING TV,MAKING A PJs,
WALKING THE DOG,MAKING WOOPEE, DISHES ARE MORE IMPORTANT!
LOL

Murphy
12-23-2008, 05:08 PM
someone should make a KC article for this.....someone..........

Anonymous_User
12-23-2008, 05:12 PM
EDIT: Completely deleted this post due to it being wrong and confusing.

Move on, now... nothing to see here.

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2008, 05:14 PM
If you keep the center stationary and rotate the top of the outer sprocket toward the grill, you will advance the cam. This should increase low end and reduce top end.

Yes, thats the way you do it if your using adjustable keys.

contraption22
12-23-2008, 07:29 PM
If you keep the center stationary and rotate the top of the outer sprocket toward the grill, you will advance the cam. This should increase low end and reduce top end.

Huh? That kinda reminds me of that old joke...

Q: How many (insert stereotypically less-intelligent group here) does it take to screw in a lightbulb.

A: 100: One to hold the lightbulb, and the rest to spin the house around.

Hemi417
12-24-2008, 01:18 AM
its backwards to the gear, u have to remember its orientated to the crank, I like the description of adjusting it by turning the cam not the gear, but yes turn the gear toward the fire wall, or the cam towards the grill

Juggy
12-24-2008, 10:24 AM
so I got an adjustable cam sprocket from FWD motorsports. there are no markings on the sprocket itself indicating advance or retard. I am assuming if I put it on at TDC and rotate the sprocket counterclockwise (towards the firewall) it will advance the cam.
is that correct, or do I have it backwards?

easy short answer

its backwards.

mario03SRT
12-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Back is Retard and Fwd is Advance.

puppet
12-24-2008, 01:15 PM
There is a easy way to do this. Use the timing window @ the transmission as your guide.
RULE: Valve train timing is stated in the degrees of crankshaft rotation ... not the camshaft.
So, if you're ADV/RET your cam ... use the timing window as a rough guide to get it there. Even better is if you've been able to relate #1 piston TDC with the timing window at some previous point when the head was off. This will get you pretty close.

Nice thing about the roller cam set-up is that the valve train will seek #1 TDC all by itself ... assuming the parts are in decent condition. (no undo stress on the cam shaft ... springs are healthy, etc). Remember, you've got an adjustable gear now so cam shaft "correctness" (as ground) shouldn't become an issue if you follow an additional step to show where the sprocket markings lie in relation to the crankshaft @ TDC. To do that, simply rotate the engine to it's known "true" TDC, if you know where that is on the timing window from your previous build detail. If you don't know for sure, put the engine @ 0* in the timing window (corresponding flywheel mark on 0*) and go with that as a rough guide. Now, loosen all the bolts holding the sprocket halves together to allow the cam shaft to find it's TDC. Tighten the bolts back up and look at the markings. This is cam shaft #1 TDC as it relates to the cranshaft #1 TDC. Depending on how much you know about the engines #1 piston TDC position, it's either a rough guide or pretty close. Familiarize yourself with the mark and use this location only to tell you later if the sprocket has moved unexpectedly.

Don't try to roll the camshaft around hoping to not rotate the engine. From here on out, every time you wish to change cam timing you will move the engine to the appropriate mark .. in degrees .. using the timing window. To ADV the cam 4* rotate the engine till the flywheel mark (engine TDC) is located at 4* in the timing window. Loosen the bolts holding the cam sprocket halves together and let the cam roll into it's #1 valve TDC. Retighten the halves and double check the new location against the mark you familiarized yourself with in the earlier step. Assuming the cam rolled freely and the sprocket degree markings have been machined correctly, you should see 4* of CW movement.

Similar step is used to RET the cam shaft. Rotate the engine to TDC @ the timing window (flywheel mark on 0*) To RET the cam 4* take a Sharpy (marker) and carefully put a dot on the flywheel below the 4* timing window mark. Now move the engine till that dot is @ 0* timing window mark. Loosen the cam sprocket bolts and allow the cam to roll back to the #1 valve TDC. Retighten the cam sprocket bolts. Verify new sprocket position as before.

This is much simpler and there is no need to struggle with the valve train. Flat tappet cams will need some "persuasion" to move to #1 valve TDC because of the additional drag they impose. That's another reason why you familiarized yourself with the original sprocket degree mark. Don't get too hung up on what the cam sprocket marks "say" ... just use them as a scale if they are accurate.

If you're old or mentally challenged (like me) and forget where the cam was last time you messed with it ... start over by putting the engine @ #1 TDC and let the cam roll back to its #1 valve TDC.