PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on buying an SRT4 PL

inplansight
12-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Well keeping my nose to the grind stone seems to be paying off as come the end of February I will have all of my tool bills all paid off :amen:. And I will NOT going to buy any more. This will free up an good amount of money and with my truck almost paid off this summer I have started to look at newer cars ( maybe something less than 20 years old :bounce: )

I really wanted an SRT4 when they came out but missed out . But now I have noticed they are coming down to the $10K range . Now since I know an lot of these cars were bought by boy racer finding an good one will be an challange to say the least.

I know what to look out for on the most part but what I want to know is the odd ball stuff since most of the these cars have been out of warranty for some time. So if have any item I should be looking for let me know.

Paul B

BadAssPerformance
12-21-2008, 09:39 PM
The hard part will be trying to find one that is still stock and not beat to hell.

cordes
12-22-2008, 02:57 AM
The hard part will be trying to find one that is still stock and not beat to hell.

For sure. I can't think of another model of car which I have seen beaten so badly in my lifetime. I can imagine this must have been what it was like with the Omnis when they were new.

I would just try to find one that is still stock, or be prepared to fix stuff. Heck, you've got the tools. :thumb:

Another thing to consider if you aren't dead set on the SRT4 would be a PT GT. They are heavy and more unattractive, but usually better cared for and much more of a sleeper. I think that will be my next car.

mario03SRT
12-22-2008, 08:24 AM
IPS,

If you want a bone stock..........

Look for a disturbed vacuum line setup, AGP/other WGA, cut/taped map sensor wires under the fuel rail cover, cut/taped wires on the ecu harness, same on the fuel injector harness, the obvious 5 lbs of tire goobers in the fender well, etc.

You best bang for the $$$ is to pick up a Stage 3 w/ Toys with an exhaust up grade. These are quite nasty and with a better WGA even moreso!

FYI,
Marion

glhs727
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM
+1 on what mario said.
Most owners that beat the crap out of their car will take off the good parts and sell it as stock. You think you're getting one that was always stock but instead is a POS. Look at the owner. What age group is he? Try to buy one from an old school turbododge guy. Most of them have some mods but the owners aren't ragging them out on a daily basis. One with a stage 3 kit is nice. Owner would have spent decent mount to do it, the s3 was pretty reliable, and with minimal lag is a blast to drive. With an srt-4, you don't need more than 375 whp. anything more than that, you can't put it on the ground do to lack of traction and one with 375 whp will be pretty wicked anyway.
Definitely look at the engine bay. Like the previous poster, if the vacuum harness is hacked or electrical harness is hacked, I would be leary. I can tell I have seen many POS srt-4's come through our shop because some 19 yr old read on the internet how to get make it fast and had no clue how a car really works.
later,
Cindy

contraption22
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
^^^^
What they said. Try to buy one form the oldest person you can find. It will be hard to find a stock one, but try. If you cannot find a stock one, at least try to find one that has only Mopar Performance upgrades on it. I have yet to hear of somebody that has broken anything with Mopar only upgrades, except maybe the OE clutch with a S3 upgrade.

ekimdam
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Not sure where you are in the world, but I found these the other day while looking for some j/y parts....

Middletown, Ohio (http://www.carconnectionohio.com/pricing.htm)

Look near the bottom under 'Cars Being Repaired'

slasky
12-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Too bad I don't want to sell mine yet. 100% stock, oil changed every 3K with synthetic since new, and I am 38.

omni_840
12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
There's a guy on my local forum selling a really clean stage 3 for $12,500. If your interested I can send you the link or something

inplansight
12-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks marion that is the kind of stuff I was looking for are these points where add on controlers were added?

And there is somting to be said about buying an pocket rocket from an older person my first GLH (The best one I ever onwed :( ) was from an older guy say mid 50s .The car was clean and ran great no major issues till I really turned the boost up:evil: and the rest is history.

Thanks for all the input from everyone now what is the best year to buy? I do want the LSD it is an must have and how much did the stage 3 with toys cost when new so I can add that into the cost of an car if it has been added?

And I did think about the PTGT for about 10 seconds till I realized I would have to work on the thing and no way am I doing another :censored:ing timing belt on it.

Paul B

IPS,
You best bang for the $$$ is to pick up a Stage 3 w/ Toys with an exhaust up grade. These are quite nasty and with a better WGA even moreso!
Marion

rich tideswell
12-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the input from everyone now what is the best year to buy? I do want the LSD it is an must have and how much did the stage 3 with toys cost when new so I can add that into the cost of an car if it has been added?

Paul B

If an LSD is a "must have" then you want 2004 or 2005. But don't overlook a 2003, some people put the 2004/2005 tranny in them seen as how the cost for the LSD was only a few hundred cheaper than a whole trans with LSD...and some people did put LSD's in their 2003's.

Stage 3R with toys is about $3500 new, and that's the TiAl wheel, not the iconnel steel. Be warned about this kit - or any of the stage kits - they are year and VIN specific so if you buy one used it has to be for you year and you have to send the brain to Flight Systems to get your VIN and mileage flashed in it.

mario03SRT
12-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks marion that is the kind of stuff I was looking for are these points where add on controlers were added?

And there is somting to be said about buying an pocket rocket from an older person my first GLH (The best one I ever onwed :( ) was from an older guy say mid 50s .The car was clean and ran great no major issues till I really turned the boost up:evil: and the rest is history.

And I did think about the PTGT for about 10 seconds till I realized I would have to work on the thing and no way am I doing another :censored:ing timing belt on it.

Paul B

Paul,

Yes you are correct. These are signs that the car has had either a map clamp, safcII, dtec, emanage, AEM, Electromotive Tec III, bigger injectors, hence a larger turbo, etc. Many guys did home tuning on these and may have returned the car to stock probably worse off than leaving the goodies on the car. As we all know some of the young bloods don't have the skills yet but are anxious to get the car hauling. Usually they max a CC to get their AGP Fiddy Trim kit and then slap it on and hit or miss on the tune/setup.

I would not hesitate myself to get a nice 50 trim or a 3076 etc turbo setup on a SRT as long as the install is clean, and tuned right usually by a good shop. SCT and Diablo can now tune the engines with a greater degree of safety with the ability to adj the timing etc. The 2.4l turbo engine is a engineering master piece and a real brute and can take a beating and IMO will be a legend when it is all over. You will be looking for excuses to go somewhere just to run thru the gears and cook some rubber. BTW save for tires now!!!!:eyebrows:

FYI,
Marion

contraption22
12-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey Paul, if you find a good deal on an '03, my brother has an SRT-4 LSD for sale.

inplansight
12-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks mike I will keep that in mind.
paul B

BTW Tell Dave.L I saw him in huntvally MD the other day the car looked nice.