PDA

View Full Version : finding more diffs in the SRT4 head and neon head

lancer402
12-14-2008, 12:26 PM
While mocking up this SRT-4 head for a hybrid, I am finding more differences.

1. the inlet manifold bolt pattern is different. SRT-4 head has fewer bolts. I am going to make a manifold out of an old aluminum neon manifold, by drilling holes in various new locations.:thumb:

I was thinking that only the exhaust bolt pattern was different.

2. Valve cover bolt arrangement is off by one bolt. The neon head cover has center bolts by the #1 and #4 spark plug holes and the SRT4 has center bolts by the #1 and#3 spark plug holes. This requires the srt4 cover for this head, which is great since it says "turbo" on it. BUT, the srt-4 cover is larger around the cam timing gears which presents another problem. The cam gears have to be close to the head and they will hit the stock cover. So it appears that the stock SRT4 cover will have to be modified. Cut and welded.

Live and learn. I guess I should have search more of the past posts?

lancer402
12-14-2008, 12:35 PM
some pics of what I was talking about. you can see in the close up pic that the valve cover is touching the cam gear and it still needs to move to the left so the bolt can be threaded in.

contraption22
12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Just an FYI for those that do not already know..

The 2001-up heads (SRT-4 included) take different spark plugs. They take super-long reach tapered seat spark plugs. It also requires different spark plug wires.

t3rse
12-14-2008, 03:18 PM
ummm....isn't that info listed in the KC?

rbryant
12-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Just an FYI for those that do not already know..

The 2001-up heads (SRT-4 included) take different spark plugs. They take super-long reach tapered seat spark plugs. It also requires different spark plug wires.

The spark plug boots are the same for the early and late DOHC heads.

The wires might be slightly different but why aren't they interchangeable? Are the SRT4 ones too short based on a different coil placement or something?

-Rich

rbryant
12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
some pics of what I was talking about. you can see in the close up pic that the valve cover is touching the cam gear and it still needs to move to the left so the bolt can be threaded in.

Are you sure that the cam gear isn't setup for a 2.0 in this picture? (They are simply flipped for the 2.4 application).

The 2.0 and 2.4 cams are interchangeable and and I am pretty sure that there is only one type of 2.4 cam gear.

-Rich

lancer402
12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Are you sure that the cam gear isn't setup for a 2.0 in this picture? (They are simply flipped for the 2.4 application).

The 2.0 and 2.4 cams are interchangeable and and I am pretty sure that there is only one type of 2.4 cam gear.

-Rich

Rich

This is a hybrid engine with a 2.2 block with a srt4 head. So I have to get the cam drive pulleys as close to the head as possible because the crank pulley is close to the block and the srt4 head hangs over the block. make sense? Should have explained that further in the first post.

My cam pulley adapters are home made. I need to machine out the inside to get the pulley even closer to the head but the cover will have to be modified even more.

Andy

BadAssPerformance
12-14-2008, 09:49 PM
You are correct that the intake manifold flanges are different from early 2.4L to late 2.4L

Not sure about the hybrid pulley clearancs, but the only diff between the early 2.4L and late 2.4L covers is the two extra bolt holes in the early covers. You can see those in your side to side pic.

The SRT-4 exhaust manifold or header will fit the old head, there are just two extra bolt holes in the manifold flange that wont get used.

The early heads have oval exhaust ports and larger exhaust valves. The later heads have square exhaust ports and are supposed to flow better even with smaller valves.

EDIT: some info in the KC

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=47

black86glhs
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Andy, What if you took a 14" metal cutoff saw and cut the end of the valve cover off. Would the blade width of the saw remove enough material? Then you could weld the end piece back on to the VC.

lancer402
12-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Andy, What if you took a 14" metal cutoff saw and cut the end of the valve cover off. Would the blade width of the saw remove enough material? Then you could weld the end piece back on to the VC.

Bryan

Why didnt I think of that, lol But I might consider other options before I try it.

andy

contraption22
12-14-2008, 11:32 PM
The spark plug boots are the same for the early and late DOHC heads.

The wires might be slightly different but why aren't they interchangeable? Are the SRT4 ones too short based on a different coil placement or something?

-Rich

When I first got my SRT-4 I tried pulling the Magnecores off my 1998 DOHC neon and putting them on my SRT-4. They were would not snap onto the spark plugs. I purchased Magnecores from Cindy at SDAC 14 for my SRT-4, and they snapped on, no problem, and have been on since.

black86glhs
12-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Bryan

Why didnt I think of that, lol But I might consider other options before I try it.

andyLOL...I wasn't sure if the whole end cap needed to be remove or just 45* the upper corner. I tried.:o

rbryant
12-15-2008, 01:30 AM
When I first got my SRT-4 I tried pulling the Magnecores off my 1998 DOHC neon and putting them on my SRT-4. They were would not snap onto the spark plugs. I purchased Magnecores from Cindy at SDAC 14 for my SRT-4, and they snapped on, no problem, and have been on since.

Interesting...

The boots are definitely the same. The plug tips should also be the same.

I think magnecor uses a slightly different boot from stock though so perhaps those are only compatible with the early valve covers.

The stock mopar wires or the MSDs should be compatible with either valve cover (although the lengths might be better for the exact match).

-Rich

rbryant
12-15-2008, 01:33 AM
The early heads have oval exhaust ports and larger exhaust valves. The later heads have square exhaust ports and are supposed to flow better even with smaller valves.

I have heard arguments for both heads. The early exhaust valves are about +2mm larger than the late ones. It is also possible to get the best of both worlds by putting the early exhaust valves and seats into the late head.

-Rich

BadAssPerformance
12-15-2008, 01:59 AM

Do you remember what part numbers? They sell the same part numbers for both. 45231 (8.5mm) and 49231 (10mm)

Aerosmith145
12-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Something I haven't really seen anyone post, is that the 2.4 cam gears have more teeth than 2.2. Hope nobody finds that out the hard way... variable valve timing!

Mopar318
12-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Could the cam gears be on backwards? They are reversable for the 2.0 and 2.4.

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM

I know it old but yeah, your right.

Something I haven't really seen anyone post, is that the 2.4 cam gears have more teeth than 2.2. Hope nobody finds that out the hard way... variable valve timing!

Hmmmmm, never even checked that, lol.

Could the cam gears be on backwards? They are reversable for the 2.0 and 2.4.

Think we have a winner, :p