PDA

View Full Version : My new Tvanlant Head :)

omni_840
12-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Head (assembled)

Port

1mm Valve job

New +1mm valves

MP 061 springs

MP locks

MP seals

Deck surface cut

C.M. retainers

PT Lifters

89 TBI Cam

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/012-1.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/015.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/017-1.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/018-2.jpg

cordes
12-13-2008, 02:18 AM
That looks nice. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

2.216VTurbo
12-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Maybe it's just me but it seems a shame to use a TBI cam with a TVL head:confused2: Seems like it deserves at least a stg II. Nothing wrong with a TBI cam, it's just so mellow unless 5200 is where you like to shift...

BadAssPerformance
12-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Maybe it's just me but it seems a shame to use a TBI cam with a TVL head:confused2: Seems like it deserves at least a stg II. Nothing wrong with a TBI cam, it's just so mellow unless 5200 is where you like to shift...

With a good head, a stock turbo cam pulled to 7000 rpm on my Z...

1FastCSX289
12-13-2008, 09:54 AM
With a good head, a stock turbo cam pulled to 7000 rpm on my Z...

I shift at 6500+ with a stock cam as well.

GLHNSLHT2
12-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I have some sort of stock cam in my Tyler head (pulled it out of a rebuilt head I got from a buddy). Car revs hard all the way to 7200 where it hits the rev limiter. Maybe someday I'll try a better cam but it's just not high on my priority list right now. Although I do know that a good cam can really change a car. My Dad's 2.7 911S is a turd with 911T cams. With S cams or better it's a rocket.

slasky
12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
looks great. I can't wait to finish paying for mine so I can get it.

2.216VTurbo
12-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Hey JT, hey Shawn, can you guys read?:p He said TBI cam, NOT STOCK, NOT TURBO 89 cam, big difference in where the power falls into the toilet...

BadAssPerformance
12-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey Brian, hey Shawn, can you guys read?:p He said TBI cam, NOT STOCK, NOT TURBO 89 cam, big difference in where the power falls into the toilet...

So why does anyone use a TBI cam then? If they cannot rev, F-them.

black86glhs
12-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Brendhan, that thing looks awesome! Mine isn't as nice, but is coming along. Those valves are REALLY unshrouded!!!:thumb: I've heard ty does good work. :hail:

GLHNSLHT2
12-14-2008, 02:14 AM
the stock head on my 2.5 with a TBI cam liked 6000rpm shifts. Pretty good for a basically bone stock 2.5. Where did anyone say a TBI cam doesn't like revs?

2.216VTurbo
12-14-2008, 02:24 AM
So why does anyone use a TBI cam then? If they cannot rev, F-them.

Crickey JT, I edited the names in this post 30 seconds after I submitted it. Your fingers are a bit too fast;)

The TBI cam is a nice cam that makes you feel like a hero-till just over 5K RPMS:o In 1989 I rented a Shadow because I had heard they were equipped with roller cams, so I pulled the valve cover off the rental and swapped the cam with the slider from my 87 GLHS:D The Shadow fired up and ran just fine so I figured all was well and drove it back to the agency. I was doing a little performance rebuild in the S at that time so I didn't get a chance to 'test' it until a couple months later, it ran much stronger but I also ported/polished the head and did some bottom end work at the same time so hard to say how much the cam was responsible for:confused2:. Wondering if this makes me the first TM guy to run a TBI cam in my turbo car:amen:?

Directconnection
12-14-2008, 03:07 AM
That slider cam in the '89 must have lasted real long.... without the oil squirter provisions on the caps.

BadAssPerformance
12-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Crickey JT, I edited the names in this post 30 seconds after I submitted it. Your fingers are a bit too fast;)

The TBI cam is a nice cam that makes you feel like a hero-till just over 5K RPMS:o In 1989 I rented a Shadow because I had heard they were equipped with roller cams, so I pulled the valve cover off the rental and swapped the cam with the slider from my 87 GLHS:D The Shadow fired up and ran just fine so I figured all was well and drove it back to the agency. I was doing a little performance rebuild in the S at that time so I didn't get a chance to 'test' it until a couple months later, it ran much stronger but I also ported/polished the head and did some bottom end work at the same time so hard to say how much the cam was responsible for:confused2:. Wondering if this makes me the first TM guy to run a TBI cam in my turbo car:amen:?

"New Posts' button FTW! :D

Wow, you might have been the first (non Chrysler employee) to try a TBI cam in a turbo 2.2L... and you waiting this long to tell us the cam is a POS!? ;) LOL! Really cool to try it back in the day and mad props for the job on the rental :thumb:

Has anyone done any sort of a back to back on the TBI cams? with degreeing tham? There is one of the '88's that was supposed to be good, the one wth less overlap, but there were like 3 TBI cams in 88!

That slider cam in the '89 must have lasted real long.... without the oil squirter provisions on the caps.

Yeah, no doubt :eek:

ShelGame
12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I back-to-backed my '89 T1 roller with my '88 TBI roller. The TBI launched harder, but they both stopped breathing at 5100-5200rpm. I though it was the head that was the bottleneck, though. If there's a better breathing, stock lift, cam, I'd love to try it...

2.216VTurbo
12-14-2008, 10:28 AM

I have a long history of being unkind to rentals:evil::lol:...

Hey Shelgame, can't you just have a custom ground stock lift roller with added duration? They only measre lift right:eyebrows:?

Now, back to your new set up Brendan, got it fired up yet:thumb:?

BadAssPerformance
12-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Rob, I'd say your limit is the Mitsu... ;) and... um... to 'keep it stock' you could make some custom larger diameter rollers :D

As for cams, Dennis's site is gone, but Minimopar luckily archived most of it here in the KC:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=86

Sorry for camming all over your thread Brendan! :o

omni_840
12-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't mind it at all, I went back and forth on the cam. I was waiting for some more feedback on Simon's S60 cam. I figured the cam would be one of the easiest things to change once the rest of my setup is finished. So that's why I went w/ the tbi cam :)

BadAssPerformance
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Very good point, the cam is so easy to change it should kind of be the icing on the cake :) :thumb:

ShelGame
12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Rob, I'd say your limit is the Mitsu... ;) and... um... to 'keep it stock' you could make some custom larger diameter rollers :D

:o

Oh for sure. When the car was a 2.2 T2, my father-in-law dynoed it at just over 300hp. You could never get that with a Mitsu under any circumstances. It just won't flow enough air. But, it would be nice to get it to flow better at a little more than 5100-5200 rpm.

Bigger roller will give me more lift at the valve, right? That's where they'd measure it, so that wouldn't work. I don't know that I could make much use of more lift anyway with a stock head. I just want a little bit more intake duration, I think. More exhaust duration won't do much good I think since the Mitsu is a bottle neck there, too.

BadAssPerformance
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I guess it would if they measured the valve instead of the cam :o

Can you port the mitsu housings?

Pat
12-14-2008, 09:11 PM

Aren't the keyways 4 degrees off or something like that from an '87 square tooth to an '89 round tooth? If so, your cam timing was 4 degrees out with the rental cam.

ShelGame
12-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I guess it would if they measured the valve instead of the cam :o

Can you port the mitsu housings?

Can't get away with it. I did port the O2 housing, they don't care about that. But you can't touch the turbo. They check it over well. I heard a guy got caught a couple of years ago running the modified Mitsu FWD sells (or at least used to sell).

GLHNSLHT2
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I back-to-backed my '89 T1 roller with my '88 TBI roller. The TBI launched harder, but they both stopped breathing at 5100-5200rpm. I though it was the head that was the bottleneck, though. If there's a better breathing, stock lift, cam, I'd love to try it...

+1 to the mitsu choking the car off in the upper R's.

cordes
12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I thought the last really long cam thread proved that the 2.2/2.5 roller cams were the same regardless of whether they were turbo or TBI?

I'm still more confused after that thread than I was beforehand. We need some updated charts or something. :confused2:

ShelGame
12-15-2008, 12:38 AM
I measured the cams in the head. They are definitely NOT the same.

The first is my measurements (this was done on cyl#1 in the head, so maybe some error, but only a couple of deg); 2nd is the Chrysler timing chart from the SAE paper for the 2.5 T1 engine; 3rd is the Chrysler timing chart for the 2.2 T2 engine from the SAE paper.

I think the 'Blue Racer' cam is what melling et all sell as the 'single replacement' cam - it splits the difference between the turbo and TBI cams. But, it has NO overlap at all (actually negative overlap). It might be OK, I never ran it...

cordes
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
So they are different then. At least I have that straight now.

gasketmaster
12-15-2008, 01:21 PM
+1 to the mitsu choking the car off in the upper R's.

+2 :nod:

R/Tony
12-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I am also using a Tyler's head !! works nice :clap:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb275/RTTONY/P6220009.jpg

2.216VTurbo
12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey Tyler, how com you're still not porting the oil feed hole? Thought I showed you that trick last year... Not sure if it makes any more power or not but it makes sense to me if the oil feeds up the head easier, there is less work involved in pumping it:eyebrows:

tvanlant
12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Never put much thought into it. I don't think you showed me; please share :)

2.216VTurbo
12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Never put much thought into it. I don't think you showed me; please share :)

Hmm, I'm on the road far far awy from my dozen or so memroy sticks I'd have to dig thru to find the pics, heck, I haven't ported an 8v head in 3-4 years either...

Just lay the HG against the head, use some pins/dowels to make sure it's centered. Now scribe the oval hole in the HG on the deck surface. Start cutting to join the hole with the 'divot' seamlessly. Then use a smaller bit and work at removing the wall between the divot and the hole. Cut it waaay in there so that when the oil comes up, it hits a 45degree (or better) transition instead of BAM, slamming into the divot, then having to make a hard turn to feed the head. Simple and pretty no?:eyebrows:

tvanlant
12-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Sounds like a good addition. Like you said, it may even be worth a couple hp.

2.216VTurbo
12-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Sounds like a good addition. Like you said, it may even be worth a couple hp.

I'm glad to give a way the mod for you to use, you seem like a stand up guy:thumb: One thing though, when you charge the customers $25-$35 for it, it shall be called the Alan oil feed mod:amen:

tvanlant
12-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I can market this to my advantage. $35 for the standard oil feed mod, $65 for the Alan oil feed mod. ;)

Addition: Thanks, I appreciate it.

Captain Chaos
12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Can't get away with it. I did port the O2 housing, they don't care about that. But you can't touch the turbo. They check it over well. I heard a guy got caught a couple of years ago running the modified Mitsu FWD sells (or at least used to sell).

Musta been an IHRA tech guy. NHRA guys aren't smart enough. lol