PDA

View Full Version : Began porting a little.

black86glhs
12-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I picked up a new intake gasket today and thought I would open up the ports a little. Well, as you can guess, I didn't just port match. It isn't opened up as much as some other would go, but I did remove some of the exhaust floor bump. Stayed just inside the gasket.
While taking a break from the porting, I took a look at the shelby valve cover I have. Someone tried to paint the letters and ribs by hand, very poorly I may add. So I took a blue roloc type disc and removed the piant. Nice thing about the blue disc is that it is not as rough. While it will leave small sanding scratches, it does polish the aluminum a little. I'll actually buff it out some more, but doesn't look too bad. Pics soon to follow. Nothing fancy, but I'm happy with what was done.:thumb:

cordes
12-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Sounds good. Waiting for pics.

black86glhs
12-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Found a battery with a charge. Here are a few.

cordes
12-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Looks like you've got a pretty good start there. Can we get a pic of your tools? I always like to see the different stuff guys use on these projects.

black86glhs
12-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Looks like you've got a pretty good start there. Can we get a pic of your tools? I always like to see the different stuff guys use on these projects.All I'm using right now is a right angle die grinder with a pointed deburring bit. I'll come back later and smooth it with a paper roll. Although I don't get it glass smooth, just smooth it out a little. Might just use some emery cloth.

cordes
12-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the description. That looks pretty good for the tools being used in my book. I don't know that I would be able to port any better than a 5 year old, but I have thought about giving it a try.

black86glhs
12-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Thanks.:D My wife can tell you, I have a soft touch.:p No, I don't use the die grinder on her.:rolleyes:
Seriously, I don't plan to take anymore out. I'll smooth around the valve guide area and that is about it. On the valve cover, I'll be taking it down to bare and refinishing it. Just not sure what Ghetto color I want to use? Gold?

Just kidding. It will be black.

88_pacifica
12-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Just not sure what Ghetto color I want to use? Gold?

Just kidding. It will be black.

Evergreen Green FTMFW,N....

omni_840
12-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Lookin good :)

moparzrule
12-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Intakes look OK, taking down the floor in the exhaust has always been a no-no from what I've heard though.
There's a LOT to be gained in the combustion chambers on a swirl head. You should deshroud the valves, and take down the high spots around the valve. That helps a lot.

The Pope
12-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Intakes look OK, taking down the floor in the exhaust has always been a no-no from what I've heard though.
There's a LOT to be gained in the combustion chambers on a swirl head. You should deshroud the valves, and take down the high spots around the valve. That helps a lot.

Depends on the head. The 782 needs to be rounded and lower a 1/16". But nothing like the 1/4" cut you take out of the roof of the intake port.

black86glhs
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Depends on the head. The 782 needs to be rounded and lower a 1/16". But nothing like the 1/4" cut you take out of the roof of the intake port.That is what I had heard on the exhaust side. I really didn't take too much out, mainly rounded it over.
Matt, I was considering it and after reading what you wrote, I may do some work in the chamber. Still need to smooth out around the valve guide in both sets of ports. Thanks for the info and props.

moparzrule
12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Depends on the head. The 782 needs to be rounded and lower a 1/16". But nothing like the 1/4" cut you take out of the roof of the intake port.

Well we were only talking 782 head here really.
I only take the sanding rolls to the peak of the hump, not the die grinder for sure.

That is what I had heard on the exhaust side. I really didn't take too much out, mainly rounded it over.
Matt, I was considering it and after reading what you wrote, I may do some work in the chamber. Still need to smooth out around the valve guide in both sets of ports. Thanks for the info and props.

Around the valve guide is not very critical, thats the least of your problems.
The bowl area desire's a good bit of work too. Mostly because of the core shift, but specifically also the area I circled here in this pic. This area is kinda squared off and edgy, feel it with your finger as you move along in the path that the air goes. Smooth and radius it, but be very careful you don't let the grinder skip around because you can FUBAR your valve job in a hurry.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Portedswirl33.jpg

When I work in the chambers, I took 2 junk valves and took them too the side of the bench grinder or you can use a bench sander. Grind down the bottom of the valve, the flat part that you see when it's in the head. Just take away the valve margin and thats good enough. Then you can work freely without being scared of nipping the seat.

black86glhs
12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks again. The valve guide area was just to smooth it out. I was looking at the turn in and out of the chambers. Kind of what I did with the bump in the exhaust port, just smooth it out with very little material removal(round it over).
I have a very steady hand, but definately will protect the seats. If you know how the bit grabs, you can adjust for it.

black86glhs
12-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Began to smooth out the ports and work on the combustion chambers. Didn't get much done, had a play my daughter was in to go see. Which means the cam batteries are dead. I like the way the exhaust ports are coming out. Tomorrow I plan to get the intakes done.

The Pope
12-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Well we were only talking 782 head here really.
I only take the sanding rolls to the peak of the hump, not the die grinder for sure.

I don't do my shaping with a sand paper roll becauce the sand paper follows the shape of the existing port and takes material everywhere. I remove only the bumps and get my shape, then quikly smooth it all out.

black86glhs
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I am pretty much done with the porting on my 782. It is no where near the material that the porting guys remove, but the valves do have more open area. Right now I'm waiting on my valve guides to show up. May be sending the head out right before or after christmas to get cleaned up and have the valve seats reground.

moparzrule
12-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Well, what you did should help. Looks the the exhaust valve was deshrouded enough but you should go more with the intake.
As for the ports, just the opposite. Intake side looks good but exhuast side needs work further into the port where the core shift is.

black86glhs
12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to leave it as is for now. When the one currently on the car comes off I'll probably do some work on it. I'll be willing to go a little more radical after I get this one running with no problems.

88_pacifica
12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to leave it as is for now. When the one currently on the car comes off I'll probably do some work on it. I'll be willing to go a little more radical after I get this one running with no problems.

wuss... ;) :thumb:

black86glhs
12-16-2008, 09:39 PM
wuss... ;) :thumb:pansy...:p:D