PDA

View Full Version : need a new 3" muffler for side exit...

turbomopar87
04-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Well i started measuring up for my side exit exhaust today and my old muffler (dynomax straight threw) wont fit into the area of the cat.

What are you guys with side exits running for mufflers?

I have heard good things about the dynomax race bullit...should i go with this? It will fit on the side exit right?

Frank
04-02-2006, 08:39 AM
As cool as side exits are in look and talking about, they are annoying. No matter what muffler you run, they drone and such. Throw in a dynomax, and you still have drone and you now have raspy exhaust sounds. I will forever recommend rear exit and magnaflow oval straight thru muffler. They are loud when you really want it and then it also really makes the turbo sounds come alive!

But to answer your question, that is what most people use. Its loud and it is small. ;)

Frank

turbomopar87
04-02-2006, 12:17 PM
i have had a 3 inch cat back with no cat in my daytona for almost 2 years. It was the first upgrade i did and i loved it. The only prob is the TIGHT fit over that rear axle. I dont have a lift, and i dont weld good(yet), so getting that thing perfect over the rear axle without paying a muffler shop to do it is a little hard. My buddy welded it all for me last time but laying in a driveway trying to get that pipe in just the right spot was a pain in the a$$.

Now that i have the bigger SV and 3" DP, i am just gonna go side exit to make life easier. I plan on having a small cat and small muffler welded next to eachother and flanges on each end. Then a 'test pipe' the same size with flanges too. This way i can change that pipe and cat/muffler freely. THis way i can still pass emisions, then go home and change it:) And on long road trip i can change it and it wont be so annoying.

My side exit tip is gonna be cool to, you'll have to wait to see.

So the race bullet is what i think i'll use..anyone have measurements for that? Should i use the 13" catco mated with that?

87glhs232
04-03-2006, 07:16 PM
I will forever recommend rear exit and magnaflow oval straight thru muffler.

Would that be a universal style 5x8 oval? What length would one need for an l-body (rear exit)? Thanks!

Frank
04-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Would that be a universal style 5x8 oval? What length would one need for an l-body (rear exit)? Thanks!

Well you have to look at it this way since mine was a Daytona. I used like the 14" body on mine and mine clamps on near the panhard section and then I put a tip on the end of the muffler.
http://www.squirrelpf.com/frank/gallery/car_daytona/index.php?ishome=1&filename=Img_2773.jpg&filenumber=21

Frank

turbovanmanČ
04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Side exit and Magnaflow=frigging loud and obnoxios drone inside the car. My experience on the van, could be slightly different in a car but it was ear bleeding.

Frank
04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Well Magnaflow doesnt really make a muffler that will work with a side exit. Side exits result in drone period. Dynomax makes it sound worse by making it raspy.

Frank

turbovanmanČ
04-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Well Magnaflow doesnt really make a muffler that will work with a side exit. Side exits result in drone period. Dynomax makes it sound worse by making it raspy.

Frank

I know, just warning him.

A Flowmaster Super40 barks very nicely and doesn't drone, another good option. How do I know, ran both the Super and Magnaflow, :D

10G OMNI
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
I run a brullen muffler in my l-body side exit,its nice and reasonable.They use it in expensive german cars so i though a little different and gave it a shot.

WOP'R
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
yea i'm looking for a muffler for my side exit as well to cover some of the poping, and maybe not so much drone as a Magnaflow would create on a side exit.

I have 2.5 T2, srt-4 FMIC, ported exhaust manifold, 2.5" SV & downpipe, 3" cat back side exit, with a 3" catco highflo cat. And i dont know which muffler willl do the best job for me either ??

turbovanmanČ
04-04-2006, 01:41 AM
yea i'm looking for a muffler for my side exit as well to cover some of the poping, and maybe not so much drone as a Magnaflow would create on a side exit.

I have 2.5 T2, srt-4 FMIC, +20's, ported exhaust manifold, 2.5" SV & downpipe, 3" cat back side exit, with a 3" catco highflo cat. And i dont know which muffler willl do the best job for me either ??

Super40, :amen:

I have one you can try if you want.

WOP'R
04-04-2006, 05:45 PM
yeah, maybe when my car is finished i will come by with my bro if his shadown is done around the same time so he can see if it will fit or not.

thanks

tryingbe
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
This is off a lancer. Cat has been moved. The cat is hollow and I have no idea if that configuration would pass smog.

http://home.pcmagic.net/amazinghl/rim00005.jpg

turbomopar87
04-05-2006, 05:49 PM
I bought the Race Bullit. Got it in today:thumb:

I dont care how loud it gonna be, only a "weeknd" driver that has to be registered(long story). I really want the most hp i can get out of it, its going to be more of a "racecar." I also bought a 3" hi-flo cat from Racing solutions, just to pass emmisions with, should be here soon too.