PDA

View Full Version : newer 16v head running anyone?

lancer402
12-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have the newer head actually running? like the srt4 head.

there is a sligth difference on the single oil drain/balance hole on the front of the head. it sticks out over the edge of the block more then the older head does. looks like coolant might leak out.

thanks

andy

lancer402
12-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I think I found a solution but I will expound on the issue to see other opinions.

here is a link that shows both head gaskets on a common block

http://www.geocities.com/shelby16v/headgasketpics.html

You can see that the early head gasket is mostly on the block. The srt4 or late head gasket has a larger hole for pressure equalization and overlaps the block.
I think the groove going around the hole in the hd gasket will allow coolant to leak.

Anyone experienced this?

The solution is to use the early head gasket with the srt-4 late head. I don't see any problems with this but maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks

ANdy

TurboEd
03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
im getting a srt4 head also, so if you get some info on diferences ill be interested in that too\!!!

1985ShlbyChrger
03-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Did you put the early gasket againt the late head? Are there any issues with holes being covered that shouldn't be? If it looks good run it, shouldn't be a problem.

glhs0426
03-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't know the compressed thickness of either gasket, but the late gasket is .020" less (2001 new model highlights for Chrylser training instructors).

Does anyone know the compressed thickness of the early or late 2.4L gasket?

John