PDA

View Full Version : hybrid swap questions/need opinions

1966 dart wagon
12-05-2008, 01:45 AM
I have a local DSM guy how will sell me a 420a head, complete with valvecover, and an intake manifold for $20 bucks, head is good no problems just no need for it he says. Correct me if im wrong but the 420a head and the 2.0 neon head are different right, the intake/exh are on the wrong sides right so this wont even work in the first place correct????

Well in the future Im looking for about 300whp conservatively, then when i want to be able to crank up the boost a lil (with alcohol or race fuel) and make 350whp. I have an extra motor 89 TII 2.2 that is stock bore and such, along with an 88t1 head/intake/manifold(complete head).

Which head(if the head will even work) or plan(cost wise too) would be my best bet to go with to make this kind of power.

My current goal is 12s on stock motor and turbo(2.5 engine bored 30 by previous owner..close enough) whether it be with e85 and alcohol inj, or race fuel, slicks of course. but this the above head swap would be after all of this.

so best bang for buck, whichever turbo (t3/t4 or 60 trim) with a dohc or sohc ported, probably big valves too, since i know with the dohc, doesnt the dist. have to be moved to the head???, along with cam gears and belt, special pistons perhaps???not sure. If any one can chime in and mention other things I have forgotten that would be great.

Thoughts, thanks guys :thumb:

Anonymous_User
12-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Cost wise, 300-350hp should be much more affordable on a swirl head.

Lots of information here on the hybrid head swap. For a 2.2, you'll need pistons, cam gears, dizzy mount, custom exhaust mani, and it would be best to use a custom intake mani.

Not sure on the 420 head, I've heard it mentioned, but I don't think anyone has done it.

12's on what you have - what kind of car?

1966 dart wagon
12-05-2008, 09:35 AM
its an 89 daytona ags cs, weights 2700lbs dry, and 2904 with me and a full tank of fuel, I checked the weight at a local place. a555 trans, and i have air shocks now. I know garyd did 12s but he also had a air-water intercooler and was probably running the stock garret to its max boost id assume.

thanks for the input. I know traction will be my biggest problem, heck already is at 22-23psi.

ALRIGHT yep the head will not work 420a has intake/exh on the wrong side.

shelbyplaya
12-07-2008, 01:13 PM
the 420a head is what they used on the neon as well.

turbovanmanČ
12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
You can reuse your 2.2 pistons, just check for valve clearance and notch if necessary. The turbo will now be at the front and the intake at the rear, its been done before.

The manifolds will require less fabbing as the intake can probably be used as is, and you can buy turbo exhaust manifolds.

300 whp is cake with a hybrid, 50 trim will easily get the job done, and then some. Ray aka Shelbyplaya did this-
225whp and 310wtq on 15psi, stock T3 w/ .63 exhaust and a DP that was crused to clear my rack so it got down to about 1.25" x 2.5".

If HE can do that, then 300 whp is easy, lol! ;)

Anonymous_User
12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=turbovanman;412765]its been done before.
[\QUOTE]

Really? When? Where? Pics? When did I miss that?

turbovanmanČ
12-07-2008, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=turbovanman;412765]its been done before.
[\QUOTE]

Really? When? Where? Pics? When did I miss that?

DCR and maybe one of us, but can't remember whom.

shelbyplaya
12-08-2008, 12:03 PM
You can reuse your 2.2 pistons, just check for valve clearance and notch if necessary. The turbo will now be at the front and the intake at the rear, its been done before.

The manifolds will require less fabbing as the intake can probably be used as is, and you can buy turbo exhaust manifolds.

300 whp is cake with a hybrid, 50 trim will easily get the job done, and then some. Ray aka Shelbyplaya did this-

If HE can do that, then 300 whp is easy, lol! ;)

ummm, Thanks simon?:p