PDA

View Full Version : some blue smoke on '89 spirit

87turbodance
04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
I just picked up an '89 spirit ES 3.0 a couple days ago. I noticed yesterday that it's puffing a little blue when my wife was driving. The motor runs strong and has just under 200,000 km on it. I haven't done a comression check yet. Would this be a valve guide problem? What is the recommended fix for this? It doesn't constantly blow smoke. I think it's either when you get on the throttle or let off. The car is immaculate. It spend it's whole life on the west coast so it didn't see any salt. Gotta love the power seat.

BIG PSI
04-01-2006, 03:18 PM
There is a TSB on that motor for the exhaust guides dropping down in the heads. You will have to take both heads off and gets the exhaust guides clipped. It will cost around $850 us dollars to do the repair at a dealership.

Chuck

87turbodance
04-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Has this prblem been fixed with later model heads? Could I go to a wrecker and grab a pair of heads off say a 97 caravan and throw them on?

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Yep, it was supposed to be fixed around 92, but don't guarantee it. Best bet is too get a "fixed" head and pop off a valve spring and have a look for the clip.

While your in there, replace all the front crank and cam seals, waterpump and timing belt, :thumb:

Chuck, $850 for the labour alone, probably more. Book time is around 7-8 hours, plus things that go snap, plus the seals, and waterpump, plus other misc parts, and of course, the heads getting fixed or buying used heads. :eyebrows:

87turbodance
04-02-2006, 05:18 PM
The motor already has a new water pump and timing belt. If I pull the heads I'd pull the whole motor out and go through it. I probably wont worry about it until I put a 543 in the car. So probably next year. Thanks