PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new clutch?

mcglsr2
12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
i'm not sure if my clutch is going bad. i don't it's slipping, and don't smell clutch whenever i get on it. however, the clutch release is like at the very top of the pedal, meaning that i need to push only slightly on the pedal to change gears. i don't think it started that high, maybe used to be about halfway...? is the clutch cable stretched/stretching? can i adjust it to "tighten" it up? is there anything wrong with the clutch?

thanks for any help!

cordes
12-02-2008, 11:59 PM
The adjuster is in the clutch pedal. Pull back on it and it will click if there is any slack to be taken up. The cable could be stretched also. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

butchsuppe
12-03-2008, 03:15 AM
That is an indication of clutch wear, I've seen clutch disc wear to the rivots with no material left on it not slip or chatter or anything.

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2008, 04:11 AM
Yep, its a sign the clutch is wearing out. If the adjustment doesn't fix it, just note you might need a clutch sooner rather than later, :o

mcglsr2
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
The adjuster is in the clutch pedal. Pull back on it and it will click if there is any slack to be taken up. The cable could be stretched also. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

i'll get up under there after work today and see if there's any slack to take out.

Yep, its a sign the clutch is wearing out. If the adjustment doesn't fix it, just note you might need a clutch sooner rather than later, :o

that's what i thought. oh well, i guess i'll add it to my CSX 581 thread as something else that needs to get done. sooner rather then later. i was hoping to be able to drop in an LSD the same time i did the clutch, but it looks like the clutch doesn't want to wait.