PDA

View Full Version : Starter Mods for SRT4 block w/ 568.

rbryant
12-02-2008, 03:19 AM
I just got around to fitting my starter onto the SRT4 block. The larger oil return passage on the back of the block makes things a bit of a pain.

I didn't want to grind the block so I modified the starter to fit.

Mods:

The bottom of the starter casting hit the block in an area where the casting wasn't doing anything so I ground it away...

The top side hits on the motor bolt so I made a strap (I should remake the strap it because I stretched it when tightening things up but you get the idea. It is just some pipe hanger that i had around.)

Back of Block:

Notice that there are 3/8 NPT plugs in the oil and coolant passages here. You can also see the TD oil block and a tee for the turbo coolant line and SRT oil preheater (cooler).

There isn't room for the stock return tube so I tapped the block for 1/2" NPT.

Installed:

Topside:

Tranny Side:

I used one of my tranny dust shields to mock up the starter position. You can see that they fit nicely and fill in any gaps with this setup.

Back Side:

Oil Drain closeup:

I plan on putting a 45 degree -10 AN fitting for the oil return. This tapped pretty hard so it would be worth it to have a machinist do it... I didn't have a 23/32" drill bit so I used a more common 11/16". I couldn't get it started so I drilled down about 1/16" with a 3/4" just to get it started and then it went much more smoothly... It still took me more time than I would like to admit to get it started squarely (probably 45mins to an hour overall to tap this stupid hole). Oh BTW notice that there is no room for a T handle that can handle a 1/2" NPT tap in there so you have to do it with a couple of end wrenches on each side unless you have a much nicer set of taps than I have...

Of course this should also be done when the engine is rebuilt and can be tanked afterwards to get rid of any stray metal filings.

It might be possible to drop the pan, plug up areas around where you are tapping and clean things up really well but I would never admit to doing something risky and crazy like that... Either way it makes lots of metal shavings so do this at your own risk and be careful if you are attempting this without a full rebuild.

-

glhs502
12-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess my minivan 2.4 block did not have the oil drain block in the way of the starter. I just bought a SRT-4 exh manifold/turbo setup to put on my 2.4 na Daytona. I have been driving it without a turbo and it needs some boost..so later this month I plan to install the turbo setup and run 6-7psi for a while. Looks like I am going to have to drill the oil pan to route my oil return from the turbo.

rbryant
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
The blocks changed in '03. Here are some pictures that I got from neons.org that show NA blocks and their changes.

'00 Block:

'01-02 Block:

'03+ Block:

I was actually concerned that the starter wouldn't fit on the SRT4 block without mods to the block but it turns out you can just modify the starter.

The wiring is still very tight to the block so I plan on running a fabric material heat sheild so that it gives some more electrical protection.

I also considered turning the motor 180 degrees so that the solenoid wiring would be on the top side and only the connection to the starter would be next to the block. This would have required extending the wiring from the starter to the solenoid and I didn't feel it was necessary so I just left it.

The motor wiring is very tight to the block so the rubber piece on the motor MUST be in good shape or it will short out the motor directly to the block. This would be VERY BAD! The cloth backed heat sheild material should also be an electrical insulator so that will also help.

The grinding of the starter case and the use of a thin metal strap instead of the bolt is a requirement with this block though. It just adds an extra hour or so of work so it isn't a big deal. Plus the oil returns should be better and it also has the oil drain on the block.

-Rich

-

turbovanmanČ
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I guess my minivan 2.4 block did not have the oil drain block in the way of the starter. I just bought a SRT-4 exh manifold/turbo setup to put on my 2.4 na Daytona. I have been driving it without a turbo and it needs some boost..so later this month I plan to install the turbo setup and run 6-7psi for a while. Looks like I am going to have to drill the oil pan to route my oil return from the turbo.

Have pics of your Daytona? what are you running for engine management?

BadAssPerformance
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Good info Rich :clap:

glhs502
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
give me your email and I'll send you some pics of the Daytona,.right now running one of Rich's dist adapters on the side of the head and the stock 2.5 turbo electronics.

rbryant
12-04-2008, 12:58 PM
give me your email and I'll send you some pics of the Daytona,.right now running one of Rich's dist adapters on the side of the head and the stock 2.5 turbo electronics.

Derek,

I still have the pictures that you sent me if you would like me to post them up here (probably in another thread) I can do it for you.

-Rich

glhs502
12-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Sure go ahead,,thanks