PDA

View Full Version : turbo mopar midget motor in conquest

bgbmxer
12-01-2008, 10:27 PM
so i was reading an article in hotrod magazine about the blowfish a salt flats cuda with a midget sprint car motor pushing over a thousand horse. i was thinking i always wanted a conquest like the looks motors are poop. the mopar midget makes 350 n/a and a crap load more on boost and bolts up to the late mopar transmissions. and the new v8 race heads bolt strait on top. i think this would be a bad --- drag or drift car anyone else agree or dissagree with the idea.:thumb:

Directconnection
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM
I always thought so... just $$$ to do. For that kind of $, I'd rather turbo a V8

Aries_Turbo
12-01-2008, 11:55 PM
oooh LS1/T56 conquest. mmmmmmm. or Hemi (what manual bolts to that????) conquest.

i like the other idea too. :)

Brian

bgbmxer
12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
thought about v8s but they are to heavy i want the car light and none of are trans bolt to the conquest its an oddball it would be a a different engine and trans going in and probably a new rear to

t3rse
12-02-2008, 10:05 AM
ls1s aren't very heavy at all

bgbmxer
12-02-2008, 10:52 AM
ls1s aren't very heavy at all

yeah but its a chevy motor in a half dodge car i wanna keep it a mopar not a cross breed i hate seeing that at car shows chevy motors in everything hate it

t3rse
12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I understand...but I would live to have an ls1 powered starquest with some hairdryers....

tsiconquest88
06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I had a 4 bolt main 350 worked to 400 hp in one of my sq's. I wanted to turbo that but didnt. Heck i didnt even end up having the swap long lol.

WickedShelby88
06-05-2009, 01:33 AM
There are guys breaking the the supra trans with the 2.6 that came in the quest. Granted it is heavily modded but that should give you an idea. I'm all for a balls out 2.4 if one is to mopar one. Or an all aluminum V8..unless the midget motor already is.

strang3majik
06-05-2009, 01:49 AM
yeah but its a chevy motor in a half dodge car i wanna keep it a mopar not a cross breed i hate seeing that at car shows chevy motors in everything hate it

I am with you 100%...I hate Chevy engines in everything.

I want a 360 TT in mine :)

But...just an FYI...a fully dressed LS1 (all aluminum), is like 50lbs heavier than a fully dressed stock, cast iron, G54B (which isn't as bad of a motor as everyone makes them to be...just take care of it and you can get nearly 200k from it, no problem)
but...yeah...a V8 for only a 50lb price...worth every ounce

WickedShelby88
06-05-2009, 01:57 AM
true... a 400+ horse LS1 isn't hard to do and "all" motor at that.

strang3majik
06-05-2009, 02:01 AM
also...you'll want to change the rear end. While great, especially if you have the 88/89 6 bolt vs the earlier 4 bolt...they're not going to take 500hp of abuse.
Its IRS for crying out loud...the first thing Vette racers swap out...lol

fleckster
06-05-2009, 07:57 AM
New Hemis use the same bell housing pattern as the small block Chryslers. A 5.7L Hemi in a Conquest to me would be cooler than an LSX. If money of no object then you could even go 6.1L Hemi. They make all the stuff to use a Tremec T-5 World Class or even the T-56/T-6060 6 speed to bolt to it. Probably would have to swap in a stronger rear axle though.

contraption22
06-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Everything is better with an LSX.

bgbmxer
06-05-2009, 10:32 AM
the 4 cyl midget motor makes 300 na but with boost makes tons more and it is aluminum and uses a hemi head.

contraption22
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm not saying the Midget Motor isn't badass, but it will be pretty damned pricey. The block is over $4k, a 3.75" stroke crank is over $1k and a bare cylinder head will be over $1k. Thats $7k+ without buying pistons, rods, valvetrain, etc.

Now... if you could build a DOHC 4 valve-head for it....

From ALLPAR

Dual overhead cam HemiA 426 dual-overhead cam Hemi was actually produced - two of them, in fact, and both were made in 1964. The DOHC Hemis were made to counter Ford's response to the 1964 426 Hemi, the 427 SOHC, but when NASCAR ruled against Ford's engine, there was no need for the overhead-cam Hemi.

Neither of the DOHC Hemis were ever placed in a car; one was destroyed, the other moved to the Kansas City area. (source: Muscle Car Review. Thanks, Stéphanie Dumas.) Recently, famed engine builder Larry Shepard told us that he has the A-925 cylinder head and other related parts, purchased from the late Dan Napp.

An article by Tom Shaw in Mopar Muscle went into more detail. The DOHC Hemi was project A-925, and it would need to be much more powerful than Ford's SOHC 427, but still rugged enough for racing - and able to conform to NASCAR's rules. Two possibilities were considered, according to Shaw - one using two cams positioned between the heads, in the "valley;" four valves on each cylinder were operated by lifters, pushrods, and lifters. This expensive setup was an unused contingency plan. Nearly as ambitious was an engine with aluminum heads, dual overhead cams, and, again, four valves per cylinder, with pent-roof chambers. (Chrysler had been working with four valve per cylinder engines for a never-completed Indy run in 1963.)

The dual-plane intake manifold had eight runners per side (Chrysler was into efficient and innovative intakes) and made of magnesium - but designed for a single four-barrel carburetor, as required by NASCAR.

The cams were driven by a cog belt, using external cog wheels at the front of the heads. Because the cams were directly above the valves, valvetrain mass was low, so the engine could rev high - a 7,000 rpm redline was specified, high for the era.

Shaw wrote that no DOHC Hemi ran under its own power; they were driven by an electric motor to check the valvegear. Research stopped in 1964 when NASCAR banned the SOHC 427 and Chrysler's own race Hemi. One DOHC Hemi still exists.

DOHC Hemi Update: Jon Field wrote that there was a third (at least) DOHC Hemi made — and that he owns it, a 301 cid aluminum-block-and-head engine with twin cams, two cam covers on each head (the plugs are between them), hydraulic tappets, brass valve seats, and four Weber two-barrel carbs (165 cfm each). He says the oil pan holds 10.6 quarts, and that the engine has stainless steel headers, and an aluminum intake; it is apparently functional and runs on regular gas. We don't have any information on where it came from and whether it's a Chrysler effort or an aftermarket modification.

bgbmxer
06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
it is pricy but if money was no object i would love to have that in a car and it would just go good together i would think.

the blowfish car made 1200 horse with the regular hemi head