PDA

View Full Version : ignition cylinder broke

bluneon
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
i tried running some errands yesterday and my ign cylinder broke. i bought a new one to put into the old switch but realized that i'm going to need to bum along a new key. the new cylinder is in at the moment and working fine.

has anyone ever had to replace a lock cylinder but got it rekeyed to fit the original key? i'm not looking forward to carrying an extra key.

black86glhs
11-30-2008, 05:51 PM
A lock smith or the dealer should be able to do that.

thefitisgay
11-30-2008, 06:01 PM
who cares if you have to bring an extra key?

but i did it to one of my cylinders... theres a little steel plate that sits in the aluminum or white metal cylinder and there should be like 4 spots peened out a little to hold the plate down if you pry that plate up that exposes your tumblers and springs all you gotta do is switch them over and idk i guess glue that plate down nice and good cuz if it comes loose your screwed i guess

i never got as far as actually putting the tumblers back in i just stripped the cylinder and put it back in started with any key if you knew the trick and the trick was the only thing that held the cylinder from turning was the buzzer lever pivot point was all worn out and you had to press the key up or down a little in the slot til it cleared then it would spin

but that was an 88 reliant with the single sided key

86trbolancer
12-01-2008, 06:01 PM
theres a guy selling some brand new cyls. on the "other site"

cordes
12-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I just leave the ignition key in the car.

rich tideswell
12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I got a new ignition lock for my 1992 Daytona when I bought it in 2001. You would be able to pull the key out of the lock while the car was running. Anyways, got a new one at the dealer, gave them a key, and they keyed it for no extra charge. The dealer that did it was MT. Clemens Dodge.

Also had Sterling Heights Dodge key a locking gas cap for my Neon SRT-4, also free when I bough the cap fom them.

Word of warning: I bought an aftermarket ignition lock for the Daytona first before going to the dealer. Dropped it off at a locksmith, and they couldn't get it apart to rekey it. Even broke some screw drivers. Moral of the story: I hope you bought the Mopar one...

bluneon
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
it's aftermarket.