PDA

View Full Version : offset cam keys

kwiksilver
11-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I see some places have offset cam keys available. I am assuming these are use to correct cam timing if the head has been machine.

I was wondering if this would be a less expensive way to advance the cam on a head that has NOT been machined?
I understand it would not be as easy as an adjustable cam sprocket, but I figure once its set, I am not likely to have to ajdust it again.

turbovanmanČ
11-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes, its a pain getting it right but then after it is, your done.

kwiksilver
11-27-2008, 03:52 PM
a pain? how so?

'splain yo'self :grin:

black86glhs
11-27-2008, 10:37 PM
You have to pull the belt and sprocket off repeatedly if you don't get it right the first time.

butchsuppe
11-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I made 4 cam adjustment today to get the motor to make power. Took about 1 min. per adjustment. GET AN ADJUSTABLE CAM GEAR you won't regret it.:hail:

boost geek
11-28-2008, 01:15 AM
Where did you end up setting the cam?

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2008, 01:58 PM
a pain? how so?

'splain yo'self :grin:

What he said, you can do it fast if you don't mind just removing the cam sprocket bolt and sliding off the gear but some get the belt back on wrong, :o

butchsuppe
11-30-2008, 03:20 AM
Where did you end up setting the cam?

God only knows, my ported 1mm valve head been milled twice and has a .020 copper shim. Made the most power 2 degrees retard from 0 on the gears scale. After a couple times advancing it I realize I was going the wrong way with it, so I went backward with it and fried the tires.:D

kwiksilver
12-03-2008, 08:25 AM
God only knows, my ported 1mm valve head been milled twice and has a .020 copper shim. Made the most power 2 degrees retard from 0 on the gears scale. After a couple times advancing it I realize I was going the wrong way with it, so I went backward with it and fried the tires.:D

Interesting... I ASSuMed my pretty much stock 2.5L would make more power with the cam advanced. guess I will spend the money and get the adjustable sprocket to find out.

Shadow
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Just remember, advancing the cam gear is actually retarding the cam timing and vise versa. ;)

puppet
12-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I see some places have offset cam keys available. I am assuming these are use to correct cam timing if the head has been machine.

I was wondering if this would be a less expensive way to advance the cam on a head that has NOT been machined?
I understand it would not be as easy as an adjustable cam sprocket, but I figure once its set, I am not likely to have to ajdust it again.
Contrary to what people might think the cam keys aren't all that hard to use.
I have a multi-key sprocket and I use the flywheel as a guide to ADV/RET the cam. No reason why you can't use that method with the keys either. You can't mess it up this way.

Easy to ADV cam, just stop the flywheel TDC mark at how many degrees you mean to ADV before 0* mark on the trans window. Pull the sprocket ... change the key and slide it back on. A roller set-up will move all by itself to the cams TDC. To RET is a little trickier ... move the engine to TDC (flywheel mark at 0* at the trans timing window ) at the trans window put a dot with a marker on the flywheel at the corresponding degree mark (the amount you mean to RET the cam). Now, move the flywheel CW till your dot is at 0* in the trans window ... remove the sprocket ... change the key and slide the sprocket back on. Done.

Nice thing about the keys and the multi-keyed sprocket is nothing can "slip" out of adjustment.

kwiksilver
01-03-2009, 12:19 AM
ok.. I bought some, but didnt get any instructions.
anyone have any idea which key is which? I see they are colored accordingly.

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2009, 09:06 PM
ok.. I bought some, but didnt get any instructions.
anyone have any idea which key is which? I see they are colored accordingly.

I have it at work, I'll post up tomorrow.

johnl
01-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Mike "on sale" sold me an adjustable Fidanza that is fubar. The keyway is cut in the wrong place, or the degree marks are mis-stamped - take your pick. Also, the ID of the sprocket is oversized - wobbly loose - enough to run eccentric, throwing tight-loose shock waves into the belt.

kwiksilver
01-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Mike "on sale" sold me an adjustable Fidanza that is fubar. The keyway is cut in the wrong place, or the degree marks are mis-stamped - take your pick. Also, the ID of the sprocket is oversized - wobbly loose - enough to run eccentric, throwing tight-loose shock waves into the belt.

sorry about your mis-fortune, but I am not sure what this has to do with the topic of this post.

on a side note... since I have 3 cars, I bought both an adjustable sprocket and offset keys. I will try one on each :D

johnl
01-04-2009, 11:33 PM
sorry about your mis-fortune, but I am not sure what this has to do with the topic of this post.

on a side note... since I have 3 cars, I bought both an adjustable sprocket and offset keys. I will try one on each :D

Well . . . be sure the degree the adjustable . . . . and if it fits loose on the shaft of the cam, then . . ..

t3rse
01-04-2009, 11:50 PM

pics?

johnl
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
pics?

No pics. To show the degrees off, I suppose I could have taken a pic of the flywheel and a pic of the gear but those two pics would prove nothing. Yeah, I could adjust the error out of it, and then write it down and remember the error factor . . . .

As for the looseness, same problem, standing on the passenger side and grabbing the gear, it rocks from driver's side to passenger's side on the cam; bored oversized a few thou. Yeah torqueing the bolt will stabilize it, but is it on center or eccentric?

Junk.