PDA

View Full Version : Need advice.

93sundance
03-31-2006, 12:55 PM
I just installed the differential pin retainers. Should I re install the roll pin? Or should I leave it out and let the pin spin? I am hearing I might as well leave it out since the pin retainers will hold the pin in place. But I am concerned about relying on the retainers to hold the pin in place. What should i do?

93sundance
03-31-2006, 01:05 PM
I have another question. I forgot to put locktight on the ring gear bolts. I know its a good idea, but what are the odds of them coming loose? I have the trans back together, and I hate to take it back apart because of that and the roll pin.

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2006, 01:06 PM
I left it as I didn't want my case to wear, I would rather the shaft take all the abuse, its cheaper to replace than the case. Some newer pins don't have the hole and I believe newer FWD trans don't have the pin anymore.

I have another question. I forgot to put locktight on the ring gear bolts. I know its a good idea, but what are the odds of them coming loose? I have the trans back together, and I hate to take it back apart because of that and the roll pin.

If you got them tight, you'll be fine, were only talking about 4 bolts and theres enough left on to have a nice tight fit gonig back together. I didn't use loctite on my last build and it was fine for 2 years of abuse.

93sundance
03-31-2006, 01:09 PM
If the newer FWD transmissions don't have the roll pin, then what holds the diff pin in place? Those pin retainers? Are those retainers put on all neon transmissions from the factory? IF they are made to hold the pin in place, then I will not use the roll pin.

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2006, 01:12 PM
If the newer FWD transmissions don't have the roll pin, then what holds the diff pin in place? Those pin retainers? Are those retainers put on all neon transmissions from the factory? IF they are made to hold the pin in place, then I will not use the roll pin.

Like I said, not a 100% sure on newer trannies, but using the pin is up to you. Like I said, I left mine in so the shaft wears and not the case.

93sundance
03-31-2006, 01:16 PM
If you forgot to put thread lock on the ring gear bolts, would you take the differential back out and do it?

jckrieger
03-31-2006, 01:45 PM
If you forgot to put thread lock on the ring gear bolts, would you take the differential back out and do it?

I would. There is an engineer who looks at failed differentials on our Chicago SDAC mailing list and he said the number 1 cause of differential failures is due to the bolts coming loose.