PDA

View Full Version : clutch options

WOP'R
11-22-2008, 07:44 PM
engine blew up so im searching for the cash to build it again.. i had a duel diaphram pressure plate and that thing was simply horrible for DD

the goal for my R/T is to have a clutch that can hold the power of a TIII at 20 psi with a holset hy35 turbo, so something that can hold 300whp and 350tq.

ill being using this vehicle as my daily driver/a$$ wooper so suggestions on proven applications would be great!!

cordes
11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Call up chris and see what he has to say. I have been very happy with my clutches from TU thus far.

turbovanmanČ
11-22-2008, 08:00 PM
He has, just looking for back up info, :nod:

All I can say is dual diagphram tore his thrust bearing a new one, :(

WOP'R
11-22-2008, 08:15 PM
All I can say is dual diagphram tore his thrust bearing a new one, :(

...literally!

moparzrule
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I didn't have any problems with the dual PP in my daily driver. I love heavy clutches though.

I would go with the 4 puck and blue plate for your combo. Or the 6 puck and yellow, but sounds like you don't like heavy pressure plates at all so go with the blue.
I have the 4 puck/blue plate right now in my shadow and I was quite happy with it's engagement. It's not near the on/off clutch I thought it was going to be.

The Pope
11-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Spec stage 3+

WOP'R
01-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Spec stage 3+

sorry, but what?

iTurbo
01-31-2009, 07:59 PM
That's exactly the reason I was wary of going with a stronger plate on my TIII builds. I had to throw away an otherwise nice TIII crankshaft because the thrust surface was torn up so bad. I went with 6-puck/blue plates for the two TIII builds I'm doing. Haven't run them yet though. I'm realistically looking at making about the same power as you though (~300 WHP).

moparzrule
01-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Spec clutches are overpriced. Stick with TU's clutches, best bang for the buck and you won't have thrust bearing issues.
A good tip for thrust bearing life it to start the car is neutral without the clutch in, it's much better to have oil pressure before putting metal to metal contact on the side of the thrust without oil, especially with such a heavy plate!
I never had any issues with the dual diaphram PP in my daily driver daytona, but back then TU didn't have their blue and yellow plates. The stiffer single is a much better option.