PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Bash '09 Vegas

2.216VTurbo
11-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Carroll's 85th B-day party this year was way fun, January 8th, 9th, 10th of 09 is gonna be even better:amen: Last year, there were like 3-4 Shelby Dodges total, for next year 11 are pre-registered:thumb: That's nearly 10% of the total. Now we just have to represent well:) It seems like a bunch of the late model Shelby owners have never seen of or know very little about the Shelby Dodges and after a little exposure to them, I think we won over a few of those guys.:thumb:

Next year there will be some faster SD cars at the event. Forza is bringing his sublime green track prepped 86S and I hopefully will have my red S there after a few upgrades:eyebrows: The plan was just to do some brake and suspension upgrades but I have had a set of K1 rods I've been meaning to put in there for waaay to long now. And while the head is off, might as well put this set of 1mm oversize RDI Performance Inconel valves in there too:thumb: It'll need a bigger turbo to feed the head after that and It just kind of snowballs like any other project...

Team Shelby is offering some affordable event packages for a little as $299. They don't include track time but a bunch of the other functions at the event. So is anybody else up for some fun in Vegas?:partywoot:

BadAssPerformance
11-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Hell yeah, speeddemon Craig and I will be there again! :thumb: Which car? ... TBD

2.216VTurbo
11-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Says the guy who was third on the sign up list:clap: How'd you manage that? I started clicking the link at 11:58 am and by 12:04 I was like 26th on the list:o

BadAssPerformance
11-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Actually I was in a meeting at a customer, so Craig gets credit for the good R/T :thumb:

johnl
12-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey -

Craig is driving my GLHS! No excuses, no refusals, done.
You too JT. Bring your helmets. Or, borrow mine.

JT, I wore the Chicago SD shirt today, the one that I got from you. Thanks.

And, Craig, I had to scold my wife for wearing my SDAC '08 Tee shirt to bed as a pajama top. You know the one -it has a certain SoCal Sante Fe Springs Blue GLHT on the back.

BadAssPerformance
12-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Sounds cool! and we may be bringing a GLHS :D

Cool on the CL shirt! :thumb:

2.216VTurbo
12-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm paid, registered, and have my room reservations. Now I just need to reassemble the trans and engine on the GLHS:o Gonna be close...

johnl
12-12-2008, 04:53 AM
Doing some secret stuff to the GLHS too . .. . . .

speeddemon
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Make sure you guys read the track rules on the TS site. Might be limiting if you have the wrong car...

ForzaV12
12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm paid, registered, and have my room reservations. Now I just need to reassemble the trans and engine on the GLHS:o Gonna be close...

Don't worry, if you don't finish you can always bring the '86.:eyebrows:

Doing some secret stuff to the GLHS too . .. . . .

Me too, so far I've installed a more powerful amp for the sound system, fixed the horn and made some really cool stickers. It should be even faster now!

johnl
12-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Craig, saw that, so I ordered a street/race roll bar half cage with 5 point harness . . . my car had a roll bar in it before I bought it; Quackenbush took it out . . . so no damage will be done.

johnl
12-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Don't worry, if you don't finish you can always bring the '86.:eyebrows:

Me too, so far I've installed a more powerful amp for the sound system, fixed the horn and made some really cool stickers. It should be even faster now!

Hey! I want cool stickers too! How much faster do you think it will be?:nod:

Ondonti
12-13-2008, 10:33 PM
maybe if it wasnt in january, ick.

JamesL
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
I really wanted to make this event but I have to go to Corona SoCal from Jan. 4 thru Jan. 10. Looks like work has me tied up that whole week. What are the exact dates anyway?

2.216VTurbo
12-16-2008, 06:51 PM
THursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday Jan 8,9,10,11

Good news is you WILL make the SoCal meeting that month on Thursday January 1st:thumb: Might be a few hangovers there but we are still gonna meet up:eyebrows:

JamesL
12-16-2008, 06:56 PM
THursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday Jan 8,9,10,11

Good news is you WILL make the SoCal meeting that month on Thursday January 1st:thumb: Might be a few hangovers there but we are still gonna meet up:eyebrows:

I don't get into LA until the 4th. :( But maybe I can drive to Vegas Friday night and fly back to Houston from there.

BadAssPerformance
12-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you'll be in the area :thumb:

JamesL
12-17-2008, 02:51 PM
OK, I'm in. I adjusted all of my travel plans so I'll be in Vegas Friday night. How long a drive is it from Corona?

skitzo_inc
12-17-2008, 04:26 PM
damn...I'm so close too. I hate my job. :( No days off except Sunday and an occasional day off during the week, but never two days in a row.

johnl
12-30-2008, 10:04 PM
OK, I'm in. I adjusted all of my travel plans so I'll be in Vegas Friday night. How long a drive is it from Corona?

Cool. See you Friday night. Drive time? - Maybe 4 hours.

johnl
12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
For those going to the Bash - or needing another reason to go - here's something else to check out -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MidAmericaAuctions/54d4800ccb/8d04a34717/d61e95cc14/cat=Upcoming

Pics of the bikes for sale are here -
http://www.midamericaauctions.com/showauction.asp?ID=110

I'll sneak over to the Southpoint to look at the bikes.

2.216VTurbo
12-30-2008, 11:19 PM
For those going to the Bash - or needing another reason to go - here's something else to check out -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MidAmericaAuctions/54d4800ccb/8d04a34717/d61e95cc14/cat=Upcoming

Pics of the bikes for sale are here -
http://www.midamericaauctions.com/showauction.asp?ID=110

I'll sneak over to the Southpoint to look at the bikes.

How is it possible that the MC auction is on the exact same weekend agin in '09:confused:?? We coulda spent a few more hours looking over those bikes but it makes me want to buy one:evil:

BadAssPerformance
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Cannon Ball? ;)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33093

johnl
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey - just got home. GLHS #463 just completed it's second two day track day at Las Vegas Speedway's "Classic Course" at high boost. Drove her there, drove her home.

The car was amazing. Some suspension tweaks and 20lbs of boost made me look good. Some people actually think I can drive! In several sessions, I'd wave a Super Snake by on the front or back straight, and then catch em in the twistier parts and be on their butt entering the front straight. Sometimes we'd enter the front straight with me showing a quarter panel! Coolness. Didn't really take any pics so you'll have to wait for other TM'ers to deliver the eye candy.

2.216VTurbo
01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Ah, home sweet home:D fun to go away but good to be back.

I too drove the S out, beat on it and drove it home. I was chasing gremlins on the newly assembled motor the whole weekend:o Seeing as how the car didn't run till about 20 hours before we left, gremlins should be expected;) On the drive out at the first fuel stop, I used 9 gallons of fuel to go 110 miles:confused: At the lunch stop, one or two guys mentioned that the car smelled 'a little rich':o It was breaking up pretty bad at anything over 6PSI boost. Dropping the fuel pressure didn't help much. After throwing every spare part I brought along at it, I pulled the intake manifold this morning to access the distributor (only way to do it with the Masi motors:o) and found that two of the spark plug wires had pulled up into the cap. So under cruise or very low boost the spark would jump up to the clip but when the cylinder pressure rose with the boost, the two cylinders would miss dramatically:mad: Only cool part about that was when the raw fuel would cook off as it hit the hot external wastegate pipe. Sounded kinda like a machine gun going off on the front strait:eyebrows: Of course both track days were finished by the time I got it sorted out, but it was running well for a few joyrides and the drive home:eyebrows:

The car show today was sweet, the new 'Shelby Dodge' wing of the museum rocks!:rockon: As well as the 83 Chager, Dakota and SL(I'm sure they will rotate the cars) there is artwork, signage and a high def LCD screen to diplay pics or vids. I snapped a few shots of pics as they rolled accross the screen. There were at least 35-40 pics and plenty that I'd never seen:thumb: Too bad I had to bail after just a couple hours for the drive home, but the way the S runs now, that wasn't such a bad time:)

30 PSI SHADOW
01-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Great pics alan! Keep em coming!!

bill baker

2.216VTurbo
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Great pics alan! Keep em coming!!

bill baker

Hit up DodgeShadowChick and CSXRags, those two never put thier cameras away and I was under the hood of the S 23hours a day while I was there.:( I'm suprised I got out my camera even a few times... DSC anytime you want to send those pics of me and my best Bud Carroll, go for it.

Here is that conversation:

AJ: I'm honored to meet you sir:

CS: Thank you son

AJ: My 1987 GLHS is the first car I ever bought new, I still have it and I am racing it today.

CS: How much power are you gettting out of it son?

AJ: About 430 at the wheels sir.

CS: Hmm, mine only makes about 350.

AJ: Maybe so Mr Shelby, but I have been admiring your Hans Herman motored GLHS for many years, it was the inspiration for me to build my car.

CS: Give em heck out there (we were at the racetrack between sessions)
son!

Probably the high point of my weekend was talking with the man himself:amen:

30 PSI SHADOW
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
great stuff!!

JamesL
01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow, what a great event! :nod: I hope that we Shelby Dodge folks can continue to step up the presence and represent. I’m looking forward to the next Team Shelby event where I can actually bring a car. I guess the next event is in Tulsa but we Shelby Dodge folks are not welcome to participate in the track events or the car show. :confused2: Props to Alan for calling them out though! :clap: Its amazing what a few glasses of courage will do for your public speaking inhabitations…not that Alan has any of those. ;) Its rather pathetic that the guy responsible for the Tulsa event can go on and on and on and on and on about it being all about the Shelby legacy but can’t find it in himself to recognize the Shelby Dodge. :mad: If it hadn’t been for the Shelby Dodge, its possible Carroll would have stayed in retirement. Maybe that’s his beef. Many of the vintage Shelby Mustang folks are not pleased at the reality of the new Shelby Mustang. I think props to Carroll’s wife are also in order for getting up and making the case to keep the Dodges in the family and remembering Bob Marsh. My only regret is not being able to drive a Shelby Mustang on the track. I don’t know how you sell them if you don’t provide an opportunity to drive them at an event like this.

johnl
01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Who said, or where does it say, that the next "Team Shelby" event is x-turbo Dodge? I would assume that any "Team Shelby" forever after will welcome turbo Dodge based Shelbys. The Mid America flyer I saw says "Team Shelby." I must be missing something.

JamesL
01-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Who said, or where does it say, that the next "Team Shelby" event is x-turbo Dodge? I would assume that any "Team Shelby" forever after will welcome turbo Dodge based Shelbys. The Mid America flyer I saw says "Team Shelby." I must be missing something.

Team Shelby and the Mid American people have said so in emails to me and posts on the Team Shelby site. That position was also reaffirmed at the Bash by Steve Thorton. The Mid-American meet has traditionally been an all Ford event. I, like you, feel that if it carries the Team Shelby name, any Shelby should be welcome....but I don’t make the rules or the exceptions. It would be a nice event for me because it is relatively close and I have family there. I'm told that they would like to measure the interest first but they are doing nothing to measure it. Perhaps I’ll start a poll and send them the link.

BTW, it is definetly x-Turbo Dodge, but it should be inclusive to Shelby Dodge. That is, no Lebarons, mini-vans and etc. However, IMO it should include those cars which carry the Shelby name.

Ondonti
01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Whats with the Ford GT on the track?

Do i gotta buy a CSX shell or can I pretend a sundance is a shelby :P

are they just easy laps or are you allowed to pass people? Getting sideways against the rules?

johnl
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Whats with the Ford GT on the track?

Do i gotta buy a CSX shell or can I pretend a sundance is a shelby :P

are they just easy laps or are you allowed to pass people? Getting sideways against the rules?

One or other of the Shelby entities was consulted on the GT40 project, so for that reason - and their cachet - they count.

You gotta have a Shelby Dodge.

There were three groups and in two of the three, passing on the front and back straights was allowed. So, watch that 700+ horse Super Snake pull away down the straight and reel em in in between.

butchsuppe
01-13-2009, 02:32 AM
It seems to me Shelby was also involved with a few Dodge Vipers, as I did see a Shelby signed Viper at DC perf. Maybe the Vipers scared the Ford boys.:lol:

Ondonti
01-13-2009, 08:35 AM
One or other of the Shelby entities was consulted on the GT40 project, so for that reason - and their cachet - they count.

You gotta have a Shelby Dodge.

There were three groups and in two of the three, passing on the front and back straights was allowed. So, watch that 700+ horse Super Snake pull away down the straight and reel em in in between.

yeah so i am not really catching that.

He didnt build the Ford GT, but was consulted on the gt40 project 40 years ago.

So a car that he had nothing to do with (ford GT) is allowed......

but normal turbo dodges which were basically developed by Shelby even if they dont have his name are not allowed. :confused2::confused2:
Masters of logic these Shelby people.

JamesL
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
yeah so i am not really catching that.

He didnt build the Ford GT, but was consulted on the gt40 project 40 years ago.

So a car that he had nothing to do with (ford GT) is allowed......

but normal turbo dodges which were basically developed by Shelby even if they dont have his name are not allowed. :confused2::confused2:
Masters of logic these Shelby people.

Didn't Carroll race in a GT40 at some point?

ForzaV12
01-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Didn't Carroll race in a GT40 at some point?

No, his racing career ended shortly after his LeMans win in an Aston Martin in the late 50s. He did, however, campaign GT40s with his Shelby American team in the 60s. SA was part of Ford's Total Performance effort that also included a competing team of Holman-Moody GT40s. In 1966 the Shelby car driven by McLaren finished first, followed by the team car of Ken Miles and the Moody car driven by Bucknum. The three GT40s crossed the line in formation and I'm sure many of you have seen that pic.

Ondonti
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
so what does that have to do with a Ford GT?

BadAssPerformance
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Forza was merely explaining to JamesL Shelby's racing career and involvement with the GT40.

As for the Ford GT, Shelby and his crew was involved from the beginning and the prototype is in the Shelby Museum... pic below... notice the helmet bumb in the roof, they originally tried to make it 40" tall

ForzaV12
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
so what does that have to do with a Ford GT?

Nothing other than the fact that the Ford GT40(based on EB's Lola design) was the inspiration for the Ford GT(so named as the GT40 license holders wanted to charge Ford an outrageous amount to use the name).

Forza was merely explaining to JamesL Shelby's racing career and involvement with the GT40.

As for the Ford GT, Shelby and his crew was involved from the beginning and the prototype is in the Shelby Museum... pic below... notice the helmet bumb in the roof, they originally tried to make it 40" tall

You are correct regarding my response. As an additional aside, the bump you reference was actually referred to as the "Gurney Bump". Dan Gurney drove the original GT40s and was a tall man. He did not fit into the car and the roof bump was added to clear his helmet.

BadAssPerformance
01-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I've heard "Gurney Bump" before and now know why, thanks! :thumb:

johnl
01-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Steve knows.

BadAssPerformance
01-14-2009, 01:59 PM
In case anyone was looking for a track map...

http://www.lvrpca.com/images/lvms_outfield_course-full.gif

ForzaV12
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
In case anyone was looking for a track map...

http://www.lvrpca.com/images/lvms_outfield_course-full.gif

You left out the dumb cones!:D

BadAssPerformance
01-14-2009, 06:51 PM
LOL, true... i think we woulda seen a bent Mustang if they didnt have those though!

2.216VTurbo
01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
11 was my nemisis, I hated that corner:mad: Just when you think you have the off camber figured out (which unsettles the hell outta my car anyway:o) BAM, decreasing radious and I'm in the dirt.:confused: 4 wheels twice and two wheels several times. Almost didn't matter who I was following, they always put distance on me there:mecry:

ForzaV12
01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
11 was my nemisis, I hated that corner:mad: Just when you think you have the off camber figured out (which unsettles the hell outta my car anyway:o) BAM, decreasing radious and I'm in the dirt.:confused: 4 wheels twice and two wheels several times. Almost didn't matter who I was following, they always put distance on me there:mecry:

Probably due to the extra friction caused by dragging that cone.:D

johnl
01-15-2009, 12:02 AM

I figured out that you had to stay high and outside . . . . forever . . . . , you had to stay there long after your brain/eyes said "turn in" . . . . . . then stay there another four or five car lengths . . .. . . , then, WAY late, turn it in, rotate the car, and hit the inside green cones and the inside concrete tiny rumbles. If you did that, if you got your driver side wheels well onto that inside concrete, then and only then, could you hit the inside color strip of the next right and then that right's green cones (12?) and then the outside green cones of the entry to that little left that opens the entry to the front straight.

Now, I could only hit it correctly, AFTER my tires were warmed up. On one second lap, when I did that late turn in, I lost it and went into the gravel. I admit it. One time I went into the gravel and that was the place. So - me too.

Another thing, there was a pavement seam on the exit of that Turn 11, 180* horseshoe, where it turns back to the right - if you failed to hit the concrete on the inside of the exit of 11/entry of 12 early enough, then, by the time you got to middle of 12, you would be on the wrong side of that seam, and then you were on top of the off camber part of the first part of 12. You HAD to hit the colored rumble on the inside of 12 to get a drive onto the front straight. If you didn't hit that concrete on the inside of the exit of 11, no way you were gonna hit the inside of 12 and hitting the inside of 12 was the key to your drive onto the front straight.

johnl
01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
9 is where I almost lost it.

I got greedy and was hitting the inside of those colored rumble strips higher and higher.

I hit that one on the inside of 9 too too high and it kicked the right front high and then the rear right even higher.

I swear, I think I landed on the left front wheel - all by itself.

That set up the automotive equivalent of a motorcycle tank slapper. The car took control. I should have just steered into the gravel. That 9 is a very fast corner. I tried to keep on the pavement and steered it right. No way. When the car landed it was moving left but the wheel was pointed right, so . . . . lurched left, then right, then left, then right - and then . . . . it went straight . . . and all was OK and I was on the pavement I do not know how or why.

And then I went through that little left kink - 10 and it was OK. Pulled in after that.

GLHNSLHT2
01-15-2009, 12:21 AM
mmmmm, I love decreasing radius late apex corners. Square that ---- off and HAMMER IT! :) We have an On-ramp like that EVERYONE hits the brakes right where you need to be on the gas. It's great to chace the ricers through it in my G/F's Jeep. They're trying like Hell to get through it while you're way outside holding speed. All of a sudden they're locking up the brakes trying to make the corner while you're on the gas all over their ---. If my GLH is ready and they have this next year I'm really gonna have to go.

2.216VTurbo
01-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Talking a mean game like always Jay:p Put up or well you know...

BadAssPerformance
01-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Craigs car is tight... I think I coulda passed on the inside line of 11 :)

9 was kinda hard, came in way too hot it seemed...

ForzaV12
01-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Craigs car is tight... I think I coulda passed on the inside line of 11 :)

My amp goes to 11.

speeddemon
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
My amp goes to 11.

Everything you own goes to 11!

johnl
01-15-2009, 01:20 PM
No doubt, in a race, my outside line would leave the door open on the inside for a beautiful stuff and block pass - and we'd both come out way slower.

GLHNSLHT2
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
No doubt, in a race, my outside line would leave the door open on the inside for a beautiful stuff and block pass - and we'd both come out way slower.

hehe racing lines are way different than the fastest line most of the time :) But while someone might get by or next to you on 11 you'd have the inside to 12 if you could hang onto the side of your opponent. Just pull a Hamilton and run the F'er off the road at the exit to 12.