PDA

View Full Version : Need info on water pump housings

86Shelby
11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know if there is a commonblock water pump housing that has the lower rad. hose inlet pointing straight down? Everything else I've seen has the inlet pointing towards the front of the car. I've not seen an 89/90 L-body to compare to.

The one I'm running on the Omni is from something...I don't know but the hose inlet is angled towards the front and is wreaking havoc on me getting a reasonable lower radiator hose setup on it. The reason I'm looking for one is that I'm running a Nippo alternator and it wouldn't clear the non-commonblock L-body housing original to the GLHT. Finding a pump housing is hopefully easier than modifying a bracket without a welder.

cordes
11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
I have a common block pump and housing off of a spirit or acclaim on my omni with the nippo alt and it works fine. You could probably drill and tap the housing for an NPT fitting if you don't have one that has the nipple in the right spot, but will clear the alt.

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
89 and up car and vans, non L body point straight down, as does the heater hose connection.

86Shelby
11-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Turns out the lower hose is different on the commonblock L-bodies since the WP inlet comes in at an angle like everything else those years. Problem solved once the radiator gets repaired.

supercrackerbox
11-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Are you repairing it or replacing it? Didn't think anyone locally still repaired radiators.

86Shelby
11-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Going to try to find someone local, if not I know a few places out of town that do it.

supercrackerbox
11-26-2008, 01:51 AM
I gotcha. Will we be able to get that frame brace put back in place?

86Shelby
11-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Doesn't look like there would be room. then again I was looking at that 89 I took the interior out of that was bashed in on the front...

supercrackerbox
11-26-2008, 02:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that one wouldn't have had the brace anyway.

minigts
08-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Can someone post a picture of the different housings, possibly? It seems there are at least 3 based on the available gasket at the store. There is one that doesn't have the heater core inlet, there is one that does down and one that does to the side or front. Can someone post some pics or possibly make a KC article on this, please?

And sorry, but let me further clarify what I'm asking. I'm asking because the gasket for these is different on at least two of them due to the bolt locations. I really don't want to go and buy 2-3 gaskets, but I will if necessary. Just hoping to get some information before I do.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2010, 05:18 PM
89+ use an o-ring for the pump.

minigts
08-18-2010, 05:50 PM
What about the side though? The bolt alignment is different for a couple of them. One seems to have either more or dislocated holes than the other. Pictures would be helpful if anyone has them.

minigts
08-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Well I lucked out with the right one, but I think it would be good to have these in the KC. I know the one for my Charger wouldn't work properly with the Denzo alternator (the support bracket really) and the associated bracket and one of of them has a different bolt pattern than the other. Pictures at least would be a good idea.