PDA

View Full Version : What Steering Rack And Pump?

TurboII
11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
I Was Just Wondering, What Is A Better Rack And Pump To Run.

I Have A 88 Chrysler Lebaron And It Comes With The Quick Steering. Which Is What I Dont Like. What Is The Steering Rack And Pump Am I Gonna Need To Change To A Non Quick Steering.
I Was Thinking Either 89/90 Lebaron/daytona?

Napa Asked If It Was 14" Rims Or 15" Rims...which One Am I Looking For?

Joey

Anonymous_User
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
AFAIK,

tHeRe is OnLy tWo rAckS - a MaNuAl anD A poWer RacK. aLL PoWeR RaCkS aRe tHe SamE. TheRe mIgHt HaVe bEEn a QuIcK RatIo rAcK iN tHe MoPaR CaTaLOg yEaRs bAcK, bUt I HaVe NeVeR ConFirMed tHis.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying yours has the quick steering. There shouldn't be any difference in any racks.

there is no difference in PS pumps between 14" and 15" wheel cars, either. There are year to year differences on some.

TurboII
11-19-2008, 09:50 AM
AFAIK,

tHeRe is OnLy tWo rAckS - a MaNuAl anD A poWer RacK. aLL PoWeR RaCkS aRe tHe SamE. TheRe mIgHt HaVe bEEn a QuIcK RatIo rAcK iN tHe MoPaR CaTaLOg yEaRs bAcK, bUt I HaVe NeVeR ConFirMed tHis.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying yours has the quick steering. There shouldn't be any difference in any racks.

there is no difference in PS pumps between 14" and 15" wheel cars, either. There are year to year differences on some.

THEIR IS A DIFFERENT IN RACKS. MY CAR IS CONSIDERED AS THE "SPORT STEERING" BEING QUICK RATIO (DOESN'T TAKE EFFORT TO STEERING) . THEIRS ANOTHER THAT CAME ON THE BASE MODEL CARS, ETC THAT HAD THE REGULAR STEERING (STEERING HAD RESISTANT TO STEERING).

TurboII
11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
just wondering what year i need

Speedeuphoria
11-19-2008, 01:35 PM
The info I found on the "sport steering" when I got a new rack, was that the only difference is extra stops so that it takes less turns to lock. Mainly so the tires wont rub.

So basically its just wont turn as sharpe, this was from reading many posts a couple years ago and people who had the daytona's with the stock 225 tires said it would not turn as sharpe and they were the ones with a "sport rack".

TurboII
11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
then how come my 86 laser steering had a better feeling then my 88 lebaron (steering was too fast) and had a better radius in turning. whats the different between Saginaw and trw. Also, why are their two different steering rack part number for an 89.

neongary
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Interesting question. From what I could find out, sales code SBA is the standard steering and SBB is the "firm feel" steering. Either or could come with 14" or 15" wheels and either could have TRW or Saginaw. Sorry couldn't be of more help. I'm sure someone else here knows more details on this. Seems a bit confusing.

jory
11-27-2008, 04:50 PM
The "firm feel" has a quicker ratio, so it only takes 2 full turns lock to lock. Compared to my van that takes like 100 turns lock to lock, it felt great when I upgraded my Spirit from the base rack to have such tight steering.

looneytuner
11-27-2008, 06:27 PM
The "firm feel" has a quicker ratio, so it only takes 2 full turns lock to lock. Compared to my van that takes like 100 turns lock to lock, it felt great when I upgraded my Spirit from the base rack to have such tight steering.
The quick ratio also does not turn the front wheels as far. Parking in lots requires more brain power? I'm guessing that was to prevent tire rub with 60 series tires that came with the quick ratio.
Personally, I like the firmness. I can tell when the road is slick in rain and snow. Full power gives no clue as to when you are on the verge of losing traction.

2.216VTurbo
11-27-2008, 06:37 PM
For the 'Quick ratio' the hole that the tie rod stub drops into on the knuckle is drilled in a different spot. Look at the size of the flat 'pad' area on the knuckle, it's large enough so the hole can be positioned further forward (quick ratio) or back for whatever they call the other style. I'd say you could drill the hole for the tie rod wherever you want but it's a tapered hole so it'd be a machine shop only type deal:(

I just swapped racks on my Rampage last week and the old rack was 2.75 turns lock to lock and the new one is 3.25 turns lock to lock. AFAIK the old rack was original circa 1984 Rampage and the new one was from a 90 J yard TBI Omni.