PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Door Handles

badandy
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Mine are all crusty and the plastic has degraded and started to flake. Anyone know where I can get new exterior door handles for my CSX-T? Dealer?

135sohc
11-21-2008, 02:31 AM
You can somewhat refresh them by scrubbing the plastic with a scuff pad to get the chalky & crustyness off. then give them a coat of paint

compshadow
11-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Try a junkyard a lot of the cars in that era used the same door handles, non turbo cars, Spirits, Daytonas etc. Some of them were even painted body color.

Tony Hanna
11-21-2008, 04:52 AM
Try a junkyard a lot of the cars in that era used the same door handles, non turbo cars, Spirits, Daytonas etc. Some of them were even painted body color.

+1 on the junkyard. You can get them from the dealer but they're stupid expensive. On a side note, according to the dealer I checked at, the only way to get the black gasket that seals the handle to the door is to buy the handle.:mad: I tore one taking it off to paint the handle. If you run into a similar situation, you can use an intact gasket as a pattern and cut a replacement gasket out of gasket paper from the parts store. I used the black fiber/rubber stuff and it matches the originals pretty well.:thumb:

Edit: Just noticed the avatar Andy. Good choice! Reminds me of old times.:)

badandy
11-21-2008, 09:47 AM
+1 on the junkyard. You can get them from the dealer but they're stupid expensive.

No doubt bro! I'll probably spring for them at some point anyway.

On a side note, according to the dealer I checked at, the only way to get the black gasket that seals the handle to the door is to buy the handle.:mad: I tore one taking it off to paint the handle. If you run into a similar situation, you can use an intact gasket as a pattern and cut a replacement gasket out of gasket paper from the parts store. I used the black fiber/rubber stuff and it matches the originals pretty well.:thumb:.

I got spares! If you need something ask me, I'll do my best to hook you up...but in all honesty I probably should be asking you:p

Edit: Just noticed the avatar Andy. Good choice! Reminds me of old times.:)

Funny you say that. Evidently I forgot to pay my TM bill. I gave my donation and POOF! sure enough my little buddy pops back up....and I can get back to my mischevious ways:D

I have some nice door handles that aren't all deteriorated that I have sprayed and they are ready to go...BUT...they are off of a Daytona and the backing plate that fastens it to the door is different...as it holds the lock cylinder in place where as the shadow one has a seperate bracket and screws for this.

So...I guess what I am saying is I need all the pieces of a Daytona door handle aside from the door handle and lock cylinder. In the meantime I sprayed mine and it looks okay but they were all crusty.

Eh, better than it was...but not quite the results I'm used to.

JuXsA
11-21-2008, 10:11 AM
couldn't you just sand the handles smooth and repaint them?

badandy
11-21-2008, 10:15 AM
couldn't you just sand the handles smooth and repaint them?

They were pretty jacked up and not worth the time...besides I had abnother set that just needed spray but the hardware is different...so I just need to get some daytone hardware and I'll be all good.

Tony Hanna
11-21-2008, 07:04 PM
No doubt bro! I'll probably spring for them at some point anyway.

That's probably the right way to do it. I was thinking in terms of 4 handles that would have totaled more than I paid for the car.:eek:

I got spares! If you need something ask me, I'll do my best to hook you up...but in all honesty I probably should be asking you:p

Thanks! I lost most of my spare parts when I moved. The move was rushed and no place for the parts cars down here.:( I've still got some big stuff (heads, blocks, manifolds, etc.) but most of the small parts got scrapped with the cars.

Funny you say that. Evidently I forgot to pay my TM bill. I gave my donation and POOF! sure enough my little buddy pops back up....and I can get back to my mischevious ways:D
:nod::clap:

I have some nice door handles that aren't all deteriorated that I have sprayed and they are ready to go...BUT...they are off of a Daytona and the backing plate that fastens it to the door is different...as it holds the lock cylinder in place where as the shadow one has a seperate bracket and screws for this.

So...I guess what I am saying is I need all the pieces of a Daytona door handle aside from the door handle and lock cylinder. In the meantime I sprayed mine and it looks okay but they were all crusty.

Eh, better than it was...but not quite the results I'm used to.

FWIW, I think the Spirit door handles have the separate bracket for the lock. What I don't get is why you can walk into a parts store and see door handles for all kinds of stuff in the "Help" section but not for our cars. It makes no sense when you consider how many different vehicles Chrysler used the same style handle on.:confused: