PDA

View Full Version : preping a radiator (for paint and painting tips)

TurboII
11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
i was wondering how do i prep the surface of the TII radiator (getting the old paint off and dirt and gram). My TII is in great condition but needs some outside TLC. I was wondering what prep stages you guys use to clean and paint. Also what paint would you recommend. i was thinking along the line of a high temp black paint like a vht or a radiator paint but i dont know who makes it.

Joey

contraption22
11-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Painting a radiaitor? Won't that reduce it's thermal conductivity?

TurboII
11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Painting a radiaitor? Won't that reduce it's thermal conductivity?

Ya, radiator shops do it all the time, well when i have mine done they paint them at least. Its a black paint specifically made for radiators.

neongary
11-26-2008, 08:45 PM
i was wondering how do i prep the surface of the TII radiator (getting the old paint off and dirt and gram). My TII is in great condition but needs some outside TLC. I was wondering what prep stages you guys use to clean and paint. Also what paint would you recommend. i was thinking along the line of a high temp black paint like a vht or a radiator paint but i dont know who makes it.

Joey

My favorite restoration store, Eastwoods, carries a paint that they market just for radiators. They also have a radiator "rake" for straightning the fins out.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=125&itemType=PRODUCT

black86glhs
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
A couple light coats of BBQ high heat paint works OK. It isn't glossy, however.

1966 dart wagon
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
scuff what areas you are going to paint, and wipe it down with wax and grease remover, like PPG 330

Greedy
11-27-2008, 10:57 AM
The last one I did (fins were already straight)I sent to my local radiator shop and had them hot tank it then painted it with the eastwood satin black radiator paint.