PDA

View Full Version : 3" SV availability

J&H Ryan
03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I have no problem calling, but I don't think I'm the only one wondering. It says they've been machining for months. Also, does it come with a longer threaded WG arm or do I have to order that separate? Thanks Chris!

Chris W
03-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I have no problem calling, but I don't think I'm the only one wondering. It says they've been machining for months. Also, does it come with a longer threaded WG arm or do I have to order that separate? Thanks Chris!

Yes, still in the machining process. I will be swinging by there this week for an update.

Chris-TU

87glhs232
04-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes, still in the machining process. I will be swinging by there this week for an update.

Chris-TU

Chris-
Please post up when you know. I'm gonna need a turbo soon, and since I already have your 3" down pipe waiting, a SV will be needed. As soon as their ready, I'll be placing the order.

Chris W
04-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Chris-
Please post up when you know. I'm gonna need a turbo soon, and since I already have your 3" down pipe waiting, a SV will be needed. As soon as their ready, I'll be placing the order.

They have started and stopped the machining 3 times so far. Today they provided me with an eta of 4-6 weeks. That could change for the better though. I will keep everyone informed of changes.

Thanks,

Chris-TU

Clay
04-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, Im interested to!! Ive got the money sitting here waiting, just need the parts to be available.

clay

Sethyboy85
04-28-2006, 07:59 PM
9/29/05 #828
starting to get agitaged with them

They have started and stopped the machining 3 times so far. Today they provided me with an eta of 4-6 weeks. That could change for the better though. I will keep everyone informed of changes.

Thanks,
Chris-TU

Clay
04-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Call TU and talk to them. Chris will no longer answer questions pertaining to orders on the internet.

Sethyboy85
04-28-2006, 09:51 PM
I have called in the past, might call again in a week or two after reading this update. notice I said agitated with "them" not him.

Chris W
04-29-2006, 12:55 AM
I was given a 3 week eta on Monday. I will notify everyone if this date changes.

Chris-TU

contraption22
05-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Any updates on this?

LynX853
05-15-2006, 08:04 PM
word.

87glhs232
05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah. Would be nice to know. Will be ordering a turbo on the 26th or so.If they're available I'll be in for one.

contraption22
05-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Bump.

LynX853
05-23-2006, 10:22 PM
BUMP... still waiting

Chris W
05-24-2006, 01:37 PM
I spoke with my machinist yesterday and he said I would have them by the end of next week. Keep in mind that he has provided me with completion dates in the past which were not met. I did see the SVs and they were just waiting on the O2 bung to be tapped and a few of the moving parts to be machined.

Thanks for everyone's patience,

Chris-TU

Frank
05-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the update Chris! (of course I already have one... )

Chris W
06-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Here's the latest email from my machine shop:

"Parts are finished except the bushing is out for heat treat, they wont be back until tuesday & should be able to assemble & ship by thursday or friday"

Hopefully we will have these next week so we can start filling the back orders.

Thanks for everyone's patience,

Chris-TU

Chris W
06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
In a message dated 6/12/2006 6:55:42 AM US Mountain Standard Time, kevin@xxx.com writes:

Hi Chris,
just got the bushings back from heat treat thismorning, we will be putting them together this afternoon & tomorow morning, check with me wednesday & they should be done.

Thx
Kevin
----- Original Message -----
To: kevin@xxx.com
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: Swingvalves

Hi Kevin,

Hope things are going well over there. I just wanted to check in with you to see if the swingvalves were ready for pick up yet. Please let me know so I can schedule to drive out there and pick them up.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

Chris W
06-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I am scheduling the 1 hour drive out to my machininst to pick up the 3" swingvalves on Wednesday or Thursday. They will then be dropped off at my welder for completion. I will have a better grasp on exact ship dates since my welder lives near by and I stop by there often.

Thanks for your patience!

Chris-TU

Austrian Dodge
06-14-2006, 09:19 AM
thanks for keeping us up to date!! :thumb:

hemihead9
06-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Chris with all the delays on the swingvalves maybe you should find another machine shop. There seems to be no shortage of them and if they cant meet the timeline go some where else, your customers would be much more happy
without the long wait!

Chris W
06-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Chris with all the delays on the swingvalves maybe you should find another machine shop. There seems to be no shortage of them and if they cant meet the timeline go some where else, your customers would be much more happy
without the long wait!

We have. The fact is there are not that many machine shops that are willing to (or capable of) meeting our expectations on quality of work. We have gone through 5 of them so far. Many of them will tell you they can do it but when we stop by after a few months the castings haven't moved from where we dropped them off and the guys are still scratching their heads on how to do it. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that we pay a higher price whenever we switch to a different machinist. The new shop will charge you extra on the first run to cover tooling and fixtures.

We currently have the latest batch of machined castings at our welder's and he is completing the final swingvalve assembly. It shouldn't be much longer now.

I appreciate everyone's patience,

Chris-TU

87glhs232
06-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Because we are a niche market, there is minimal (comparing to...oh say... the conventional hot rod market) demand for these parts. So having a production run of hundreds or even thousands is out of the question. This has a major impact on the priority that his suppliers make his parts. It's not always first come first serve. Try having a foundry cast reletively few parts for you (yes, they are NEW castings) when they have several other customers with thousand of cylinder heads or some other WAY more common part on order. Your gonna wait a while. This same problem also trickles down through the rest of the process...machining and welding/final assembly.

Chris puts out thousands of dollars to have somthing like 50 made at a time. Not all those parts are sold either. So he is basicly fronting his own money in hopes that there will continue to be a demand for them.

Cut the guy some slack. It's not like he is casting, machining and assembling them himself in his shop. Is the delay inconvenient? Yes. Is it the end of your world? No. Is he lieing to you? No, he is simply passing along the info as it is given to him. Are you going to be happy with the part even if it takes another 6 months? Yes.

Have one welded up by a friend. I promise it will not perform as well, nor will it be as high a quality as Chris'.

Whorse
06-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Touche

contraption22
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Because we are a niche market, there is minimal (comparing to...oh say... the conventional hot rod market) demand for these parts. So having a production run of hundreds or even thousands is out of the question. This has a major impact on the priority that his suppliers make his parts. It's not always first come first serve. Try having a foundry cast reletively few parts for you (yes, they are NEW castings) when they have several other customers with thousand of cylinder heads or some other WAY more common part on order. Your gonna wait a while. This same problem also trickles down through the rest of the process...machining and welding/final assembly.

Chris puts out thousands of dollars to have somthing like 50 made at a time. Not all those parts are sold either. So he is basicly fronting his own money in hopes that there will continue to be a demand for them.

Cut the guy some slack. It's not like he is casting, machining and assembling them himself in his shop. Is the delay inconvenient? Yes. Is it the end of your world? No. Is he lieing to you? No, he is simply passing along the info as it is given to him. Are you going to be happy with the part even if it takes another 6 months? Yes.

Have one welded up by a friend. I promise it will not perform as well, nor will it be as high a quality as Chris'.

All very good points. I'd like to add another one.

Because we are such a small niche market, and a swingvalve is not really a "wear item" that needs to be replaced every few years, eventually everybody that ever wanted a 3" swingvalve is going to have one, and the market will be flooded. (Or more likely, a few people will still want them, but not enough to nesessitate an entire run of 50 at a time) Chris has to keep shelf stock low so he doesn't find himself sitting on 45 of these things someday.

87glhs232
06-20-2006, 06:39 PM
All very good points. I'd like to add another one.

Because we are such a small niche market, and a swingvalve is not really a "wear item" that needs to be replaced every few years, eventually everybody that ever wanted a 3" swingvalve is going to have one, and the market will be flooded. (Or more likely, a few people will still want them, but not enough to nesessitate an entire run of 50 at a time) Chris has to keep shelf stock low so he doesn't find himself sitting on 45 of these things someday.

Very true.

Chris W
07-03-2006, 03:04 AM
21 more of these were just received today. Unfortunately, we will be on the road for Carlisle in the AM. For those of you who will be attending Carlisle/SDAC or who live along I-40 or I-80 please give us a call so we can arrange getting your swingvalve to you. We are also offering a special on 3" downpipes during the conventions. Pricing will be posted at the events. We only brought 20 of these so be sure to get yours at Carlisle since we may run out by SDAC.

Chris-TU