PDA

View Full Version : any Supercharged 3800 enthusiasts here?

TurboSedan
11-11-2008, 06:04 AM
does anyone else here own (or just like) the GM cars with the 3800 V6? i own a '98 Buick Regal GS with the Series II Supercharged 3800 (L67). it has been very reliable and it's pretty quick despite being completely stock. i found it on Autotrader.com back in July 2006 and my brother and i drove his Shelby Lancer 800 miles round trip to pick it up at a GM dealership in Belgrade, MT. it had 100,712 miles on it at the time and i'm up to about 127k now. it's a 100% rust free car from Arizona. i've been really happy with it because it has never had any major problems. at the time i was dead set on either an Impala or a Regal, but most of the cars i found had brown transmission fluid, showed signs of neglect or the price was ridiculous. the ad on autotrader listed the car at $5500, but when we got there the window sticker was $4500. my brother and i took the car on a test drive and we must have had the car for at least an hour (probably freaked out the salesman lol) but i was 100% sure i was going to buy it so i didn't care. they took a little more off because one of the rear window regulators was bad so i scored it for $4369 :) it was actually much cheaper than any Regal LS (non-SC), Impala or Grand Prix i had test-driven.

i had started modding it last year and then quickly went back to stock mostly due to money problems but also because i wasn't really happy with the mods. i had installed KYB AGX adjustable struts and SSC lowering springs (very rough ride even at the softest setting) and a JMB 4" mandrel bent fenderwell intake (annoyingly loud) but that was pretty much the extent of it.

right now i'm in the middle of replacing the tires, struts, strut mounts, outer tie rods, front control arms including ball joints and bushings, rotors/pads, brake lines, engine/trans mounts etc. but now that my loan is almost paid for i'm kind of tempted to put some money into go-fast mods - namely a ZZP intercooler (water-to-air), headers/exhaust and HPTuners so i can drop a pulley size safely with no KR. from what i have read these cars generally dyno 190-200whp and ~14.7 ET stock and i think i'd be happy with about 300. there are turbo and whipple kits but i don't want to go wild. i haven't put it up against my Spirit R/T but i'm sure my R/T would have no problem with it from a roll and all it has is 3" exhaust and MBC set at 10psi. my Regal would whoop it off the line though, only because i can't launch the R/T for ---- :o

on the other hand, i am really tempted to trade it in on something with AWD. more than likely a Subaru or Audi. i love the 2.7T A6/S4 but maintenance alone puts them out of my budget so i might look at the 1.8T A4 or early 2000 Subaru Legacy GT. i just don't know if getting another car loan would justify having AWD.

so anyone else here have a Regal GS, Grand Prix GTP, Bonneville SSEi, Impala SS etc? any modding or just a daily driver like mine?

----------------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

TurboSedan
11-11-2008, 06:18 AM
this is my Regal back when it was lowered:

http://www.turbosedan.com/regalgs/DSC03708.JPG

GTP engine cover and JMB intake:

http://www.turbosedan.com/regalgs/DSC03709.JPG

http://www.turbosedan.com/regalgs/engine/DSC03626.JPG

wheeee...
http://www.turbosedan.com/regalgs/engine/DSC03433.JPG

Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

GLHSKEN
11-11-2008, 06:46 AM
99 Grand Prix GTX. SLP Exhaust CAI and 3.4" pulley. Dynoed 207/276. Stock ran a 14.9. After mods, best of 13.95 @ 99. Typical runs are 14.1 @ 97. A lot like a TD. Car has 148k miles on it.

TurboSedan
11-11-2008, 07:06 AM
wow Ken, not bad at all! did your GTX come with a 3.5" pulley stock? i know some SLP Regal GSX did but i haven't read much about the GTX.

i have a friend here in town that has a 2000 GTP. he has 3.4" pulley, 1.9 roller rockers, JMB FWI, 3" DP, no cat, U-bend or resonator, Autolite 104s, DHP PCM, and scans with the LS1M. he dyno'd 240whp / 320wtq. his car really woke up with those rockers.

i love that LS1M; i wish they were still available!

one thing i really don't like about these cars is the exhaust. my friend's GTP sounds absolutely awful and he will be the first to admit it lol. soooo raspy. he will leave my driveway and get on it a little and i just cringe haha.

Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

trbowgn
11-11-2008, 08:10 AM
We had a 97 GTP brand new actually ordered it as soon as we heard they were coming out. It was a great car put close to 100,000 miles on it. I think it ran 14.5s bone stock at around 97mph. It was a very fun car and a very comfortable ride.

There is a group of guys that show up at our local strip now and then and they all run 3800s a couple are down in the low 13s high 12s.

89ShelbyGuy
11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I had a 2000 gtp. 3.0 pulley, SS intercooler, exhaust...the whole nine yards, i was running 13.0's. I loved the car...the 3800 series are the cars i was into before my shelbys. I steered away from the car because of the trans issues...i was modded to the max without replacing the trans with a built one..that might/might not hold the power...i already had replaced the tranny with a rebuilt on from gm...which was 3 grand....thats the only weakness of these cars is the crappy trans. I am sure you have heard of the W Body store....i know the owner, i was there when he first started that place...

I de modded the car and sold it. The trans didn't have any power up top...atleast it felt like that...almost like something is wrong wit the tranny.

Now, to cure that crappy trans, forget the super charger and put a turbo kit on it...you'll be much better off and get much better results. and not really have to worry about the tranny because your power is up top now where it can handle it.

Dont make the same mistake i did...go turbo!!!! You wont regret it! for the amount of money you would spend making the supercharged engine faster....you'll spend less in the long run with the turbo kit!!!

Have fun with it!!! I miss the instant power from the line...lol.

Tom

88_pacifica
11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Dont make the same mistake i did...go turbo!!!!

Like the 3.8 liter turbo is all that or something, please... ;) :thumb: :D

TurboSedan
11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
i hear what you're saying, but the thing is if i want to really put money into a car to make it (alot) faster i want to do it to something with a manual transmission. i really hate automatics unless it is a daily driver. that is why i have kind of designated my Spirit R/T to take that role. i would love to go nuts with the Regal GS but i don't have the money to go wild with both.

i think if i were to mod the Regal extensively (as opposed to trading it in) i would have to plan on a transmission rebuild. the transmission in the car right now is great. still has bright red fluid and shifts perfectly. but even staying stock that could all change by the time i hit 150k. i would more than likely go to 3.29 FDR if/when i got it rebuilt. lots of money.

if i kept it, i would want to just add some basics - PCM/tuning, exhaust, intercooler, cam and then the smallest pulley i can get away with without KR on pump gas. it might be basic but it's still alot of money. in the end the car isn't AWD obviously, and doesn't have a manual transmission. i could easily spend the the same amount of money in "basic mods" for the Regal as i would buying a nice 1.8T 5-speed A4 Quattro. maybe i should just start with something like an Audi A4? i really like the Regal but i can't help but come back to the fact that it doesn't have some basic things i really want in the first place :(

Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

J&H Ryan
11-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Right now I have an 01 Regal GS and an 01 Grand Prix GTP.

What are your thoughts on the regular vs. premium debate? I have run regular in the GS alot, just premium in the GTP. I'm figuring I should just be running premium in both.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BooGTS/CarsForSale/DSC03301.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BooGTS/DSC03533.jpg
Both are for sale, (shameless plug)

They are both a little too big for us right now. My S2000 is just right, but can't go in the snow...

88_pacifica
11-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Both are for sale, (shameless plug)

$$ ??

J&H Ryan
11-11-2008, 02:08 PM
$$ ??
Since you asked, 6k obo for the Buick and it has 89,200 miles.
7k obo for the GTP, it has 66,200 miles as of this post.

PM me if you want more pics.

black86glhs
11-11-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't have a supercharged, but I do own a 98 Olds Intrigue. It was a great running car, until it lunched 2 rod bearings and possible main. I do plan to pull it and drop a crank and bearings in it.

TurboSedan
11-17-2008, 01:19 AM
those are very nice looking cars Ryan! i am obviously partial to the Regal's but i'd have to say that is probably my 2nd favorite color (i have to admit i love the white Regal GS).

as for premium vs. regular - even on a stock L67 definitely run premium. most of these cars have enough KR even stock and you are just running the risk of chipped pistons. if you do use regular, i would just be really easy on it. it seems to happen to alot of people so i never put anything but premium in myself. every car is different though, some people can drop a pulley size with minimal mods (CAI/U-bend delete/off-the-shelf PCM) and some can't seem to get rid of KR without alot of work and/or tuning. i have scanned my Regal a few times going from 30-100mph using my friend's LS1M and even on 90*F days it seems to have minimal KR. it did have more KR after the JMB FWI but that was probably due to not doing anything with the exhaust to go along with it. i'll be ordering more parts from ZZP this week, unfortunately no go-fast goodies this time.

------------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

J&H Ryan
11-17-2008, 01:27 AM
those are very nice looking cars Ryan! i am obviously partial to the Regal's but i'd have to say that is probably my 2nd favorite color (i have to admit i love the white Regal GS).

as for premium vs. regular - even on a stock L67 definitely run premium. most of these cars have enough KR even stock and you are just running the risk of chipped pistons. ... i'll be ordering more parts from ZZP this week, unfortunately no go-fast goodies this time.

Boy, I wish I could go to ZZP with a big check. I've bought a few things from there (2.5" DP, BMG [I think that is the name] control arms) quality stuff. Anyways, I washed the GTP so I'll toss up some more pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BooGTS/DSC03543c.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BooGTS/DSC03545.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BooGTS/DSC03546.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BooGTS/DSC03554.jpg

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2008, 01:40 AM
I don't own one but love the 3.8 S/C engine. I prefer the Bonneville SSE(I) and the Grand Prix if I had to buy one. I think GM got it together with that engine and the auto, a wicked powertrain. :nod:

I've driven and serviced plenty, :D

For most, simple bolt on's work, no need to go turbo unless your building a uber fast car, ;)

black86glhs
11-17-2008, 01:46 AM
I don't have a supercharged, but I do own a 98 Olds Intrigue. It was a great running car, until it lunched 2 rod bearings and possible main. I do plan to pull it and drop a crank and bearings in it.
I know it isn't a SC 3.8, but talk about kicked to the curb!!!!:(
Damn guys, I was a GM Mastertech. I guess I'll go sit on the porch and eat my welfare burger while you guys eat Mcdonalds.:mecry:

TurboSedan
11-17-2008, 02:48 AM
there are alot of things you can do with the L36 non-SC 3800. plenty of guys are in the 14s naturally aspirated with simple CAI/exhaust/tuning. there are SC kits (SS M90) as well but typically use a larger than stock 4.0" pulley due to the higher CR. turbo kits as well.

even racing a typical L36 W-body on the street in can take a bit for my stock Regal GS to start pulling on it. that may be in part to the higher FDR that the L36 car has but still, great torque despite being NA. and most people either stomp on it right away or forget to turn TC off. i wish i could start my car up and TC was always off, rather than having to turn it off every time. i don't really see the point in having a performance shift button on the shifter either; guess that is why GM ditched it in 2001? or so.

i have to admit though, as far as GM V6s go, i still like the 60* better. i would rather have a turbo'd 3400 under the hood than any 3800. both are "good" i am just more familiar with the 60*.

----------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

black86glhs
11-17-2008, 03:26 AM
I like both of the engines, not saying you don't. The 60* engines are great for the smaller cars. The 3.8 is good for the bigger cars. If I had the $$$, I'de like to find a way to stroke the 3.8 out to 4.1(like the older ones) and get a sh*t load of low end.
Hmmmm.....I need to fix the Intrigue anyway....just might find a stroker crank in it.:thumb::D
LOL.

TurboSedan
11-17-2008, 05:02 AM
yeah, kind of like the 2.2 vs. 2.5 thing for our cars, although, my Turbo 3.1L '91 Cutlass did make 337ft/lbs at the wheels and that was with a stock TGP T25 turbo and intercooler @ 13-14psi. i would love to see what a 3400 could do with a 50-trim .63 A/R hybrid. would probably spool it like nothing and make lots of power! i'm sure it would make enough low end to make even a heavy car move! my combo was all about low end torque though, a 3400 likely might not make as much but definitely alot more power.

ok ok......sooo i kind of see the 3800 as an over evolved dinosaur of the auto industry. iron heads/iron block = heavy. it's not naturally balanced. although obviously it can make enough power to put a W-body into the high 8s so what's the point especially considering the 3800 has all of this aftermarket. IMO it is just as reliable. i don't want to get into a 3800 vs 60* debate, like i said, i'm partial to the 60* only because i'm more familiar with it. say anything good about the 3800 on the 60degreev6.com forum and watch out! haha. i do like both i guess i just like the 60*V6 underdog status.

----------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

Subliminal
11-17-2008, 09:35 AM
When I got her...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_pjO6j2IMXk8/RTEMA80pABI/AAAAAAAAAQo/rE_bhaRgYwI/s800/Picture%20008.jpg

And when I lost her...
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_pjO6j2IMXk8/RTEMCNblABI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/53RplLSe__k/s800/totalloss.JPG

My only mods were the pulley swap (easy/cheap way for a little more power) and a sound system.

Loved that car...but a Lexus driver decided he needed a sandwich REALLY bad and crossed in front of me. I t-boned him @ 50 without even having a chance to hit the brakes.

Thank God nobody died.

black86glhs
11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Damon, I have the flag at half staff. Damn Lexus drivers.
Josh I agree with you on the 60* engines. Not trying to get into a peeing match either, I like both.:D
I had several 2.8 and 3.1 V6 cars. Used to work on all of the engines. I was thinking a 3.5 V6 with a Paxton or even a small garrett. Actually, a new Impala with a 3.9 would be fun to play with.:thumb:

mark
11-17-2008, 09:42 PM
i had a 98 gtp. it was a nice car.
full gmpp suspension (koni's) urethane bushings, control arms, sway bars, pulley, intake, pcm, other stuff...
once i got to 120k i babied it till 140k it slipped a few times on me so i traded it for a 1997 dodge ram 4x4 with 98k on it.
sometimes i miss it, it was white with white 5 star rims... it handled awsome with the gmpp crap, i would take on/off ramps at amazing speeds...

but the truck is better for me cause now I can haul all my quads around

TurboSedan
12-05-2008, 08:51 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/BooGTS/CarsForSale/DSC03301.jpg

how about i give you CSX #667 and you drop the price :D

but seriously, i just found this thing.....66k, my favorite color, power moonroof and $2350!:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/938431285.html

in other news, the S/C coupler is going out on my GS. just ordered a new one from ZZP.

Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS