PDA

View Full Version : Getting turbo rebuilt, help...

Ground Rat
03-29-2006, 08:16 PM
I have a t3 on my minivan (I think .42 cold side?) and it squeaking real loud and smoking. I'm getting it rebuilt Monday and the guy doing the work said he could put in a bigger compressor wheel if I want. He also said he could put on a 2.5" tailhousing, is that the same as a SV? It should still bolt up to my stock DP right?

cordes
03-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes, the 2.5in SV will allow your DP to bolt up. The hot side shoudl be a .48 A/R, but that does not really make a difference.

If the guy will be installing a larger compressor wheel, he will be either machining the housing to accept it, or using another compressor housing. The housings cost about $100 new from turbonetics last I checked their price list, the wheels are about the same cost as the CH. Of course he could be using old parts, which is fine as long as they are in good condition. The compressor wheel off of a turbo coupe, or SVO mustang (60 trim) would be a good upgrade.

Ground Rat
03-29-2006, 10:11 PM
OK, good to know. I will ask him for more details on the parts. He wants $400 for the rebuild, bigger comp wheel, 2.5" "tailhousing", and new oil feed line. He rebuilds it in about a day and gives it a 1 year warranty. It sounds like a good deal to me. http://www.fuelslut.net/forum/images/smiles/dunno.gif

So is the "tailhousing" the same thing as a SV?

jckrieger
03-29-2006, 10:18 PM
So is the "tailhousing" the same thing as a SV?

I don't know what else it could be. Does this guy seem to know much about the turbo-Dodges?

Ground Rat
03-29-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't know what else it could be. Does this guy seem to know much about the turbo-Dodges?
He seems to know a bit, he has a quick shadow I think. When I asked him about getting a bigger swing-valve he said he didn't know what that was; that kind of made me nervous. I said it's the piece that bolts to the turbine housing and it's what the DP bolts to. He said, oh that's the tailhousing. Did 2.5" SVs come stock on anything?

cordes
03-29-2006, 10:24 PM

+1. I would hope that he is fairly reputable and not some shmoe working out of his garage at that price. You could get a rebuild kit for $100, balancing runs about $80-90 from what I have read, and as I have stated a NEW comp housing and comp wheel would be about $200...

Ground Rat
03-29-2006, 10:26 PM
The only problem is this is my only vehicle and I live in an apartment. I need to get this rebuilt ASAP. :(

cordes
03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I know how that goes. Good luck.

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2006, 11:06 PM
If he doesn't know what an SV is, run away. TII's garretts had the 2.5 inch and you can buy a 3 inch from turbosunleashed-worth every penny.

Ground Rat
03-29-2006, 11:10 PM
If he doesn't know what an SV is, run away. TII's garretts had the 2.5 inch and you can buy a 3 inch from turbosunleashed-worth every penny.
So maybe this turbo already has a 2.5" SV? I will measure it when it comes off, what part do I measure? I don't think a 3" is going to be worth the money on this turbo, especially if I upgrade to a bigger custom turbo in the future. I don't have the money ATM for the TU parts anyway and I heard their 3" stuff was on backorder? :confused:

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Measure the hole where the dp bolts up.

GLHSKEN
03-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Swingvalve seems to be a "unique" TD term. Most others do not call them that.

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Swingvalve seems to be a "unique" TD term. Most others do not call them that.

Weird, 2 turbo shops I talk to know what SV means, I guess your right based on the other guys term. I take it back, :nod:

Ground Rat
03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Measure the hole where the dp bolts up.

Thanks mang.