PDA

View Full Version : auto to manual swap question...

bm_zimmer
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
will the axles from the auto tranny fit with the manual tranny. i dont have the intermediate shaft bracket and was wondering if the lengths were the same. i also dont have the manual axles to compare. im in the market for the bracket i just want to run it like that until i get that part(asap). 88 lancer is the car. 520 manual tranny. 413 auto.
thanks brian

Tony Hanna
11-09-2008, 02:59 PM
The auto axles should work fine. We took a 413 out of an '88 Daytona and swapped in a 555. I'm pretty sure we used the (unequal length) axles that were in the car with the auto because they were fairly new. If you do a search, I think a lot of people actually prefer the unequal length axles over the equal length. Personally, I've run both types with no problems out of either.

Tony

bm_zimmer
11-09-2008, 03:03 PM
awesome! thanks! im heading out to do a whole motor and tranny swap tonight and part of tomarrow. im sick of the auto already. the motor hates me right now for putting an auto in place instead of the 5-speed.lol.
thanks, brian

Tony Hanna
11-09-2008, 03:07 PM
You're welcome!

I have a feeling I'm going to be doing an auto to manual swap in my Spirit pretty soon if I'm still not happy with the auto after I get the bugs worked out.

bm_zimmer
11-09-2008, 03:32 PM
my auto had to slow of a response time for me. and it was boring! i like mashing the gears and i like the sound of my rfl! lol

Tony Hanna
11-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I really like an auto for a daily driver or a drag car. For a fun street car, you can't beat a 5 spd though.:)

bm_zimmer
11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
well tony it started raining and i dont have enough room for me a cherrypicker and a car so i guess i will continue tomarrow. bites --- but what are ya gonna do! good luck with your project.

Tony Hanna
11-10-2008, 03:36 AM
well tony it started raining and i dont have enough room for me a cherrypicker and a car so i guess i will continue tomarrow. bites --- but what are ya gonna do! good luck with your project.

Thanks! I'll need it.:o I thought I had my trans about sorted out. The line pressure was a little high and it wasn't shifting before hitting the rev limiter at full throttle so I backed the line pressure down a little. Went for a test drive and as soon as it went to shift out of first, no forward gears.:mad: Had to drive it back to the garage in reverse. Turned the line pressure adjustment back to where it was and still nothing.:confused2: Now I get to pull the pan back off and figure out what went wrong.:banghead:

Tony