PDA

View Full Version : Good sounding muffler for a Hemi?

TrrboJeep
03-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm planning to $hit can the big, stock, trash can sized muffler on my Ram this summer in favor of a better sounding, better flowing unit.
Does anyone out there have personal experience on this and what sounds good? I was thinking of a 40 series Flow Master? I want a good sound out the back, but don't want the annoying drone at hwy speeds. I use this truck for camping and travel long streches of open road on the highway with the family, so the drone factor must be kept to a minimum.
Will the Flow Master be the hot ticket on the Hemi?

WLKivett
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I've herd these http://www.aero-turbine.com/?flash=1and they sound awsome. But I have not lived with one to know if it drones or not.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
40 series is the loudest muffler they make. I put one on my customers truck with headers and it barks, loud. Has alot of drone. I would go with the 50 series Deltaflow if your concered about drone, and it will still bark.

Clay
03-29-2006, 06:33 PM
close, but the Flowmaster DeltaForce race mufflers are the loudest :)

WVRampage
03-30-2006, 12:52 AM
40 series but with a flowmaster it will sound like a stang unfortunantly.

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2006, 01:10 AM
40 series but with a flowmaster it will sound like a stang unfortunantly.

Gotta call you on that, no way does it sound like a 5.0L. For a start, 5.0's have dual exhaust, Hemi's single 3inch. Totally different flow for each engine. I know what 5.0's sound like, used to own one and a Hemi does not even come close to sounding like one, :thumb:

bansheenut420
03-30-2006, 02:47 AM
flowmaster=:yuck: Get a magnaflow :thumb: No drone, no amplification of the exahust note. Just a nice deep tone, no baffled chambers either:D

TrrboJeep
03-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Gotta call you on that, no way does it sound like a 5.0L. For a start, 5.0's have dual exhaust, Hemi's single 3inch. Totally different flow for each engine. I know what 5.0's sound like, used to own one and a Hemi does not even come close to sounding like one, :thumb:
Simon is correct... factory exhaust is 3" stainless steel (single, not duals).
I see no reason to throw it away, I just want a better sounding & flowing muffler spliced in there. I love the sound of Flow Masters on V8's, I just wasn't sure which series to go with. I didn't realize the 40 series was the loudest one! Thanks for the heads up Simon, perhaps a 50 series then.

Cory, I know the Magna Flow's sound great on TD 4's, but wouldn't you sort of end up with a cherry bomb sound, if you had one on a V8, after all, aren't they basically like a cherry bomb in design? (strait through corrigated pipe with fiberglass packing around it?) It seems like over time, these type of mufflers get louder because the packing material starts to break up and get blown out the exhaust? I've never heard a Magna Flow on a V8, so I guess I don't really know? :confused:

Summit Racing has the 50 series 3 chamber, Flow Master (stainless steel) for $105
the Magna Flow (also stainless steel) is $113
I have heard the Dynomax mufflers also. A guy here at work has a set on his 99 Dakota R/T (360ci) and they are very loud! :nod:

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Honestly, they all sound good, I have heard Magnaflow and they have a slightly different sound but also sound mean. Theres a link on TD somewhere, a Mustang shop tested all the mufflers available and they were all so close, it wasn't funny. Basically, buy for the sound as each muffler has its own unique signature.

TrrboJeep
03-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, I guess if they all sound pretty good, then it just comes down to performance... since the Magna Flow is a strait through design, it probably outflows the "Flow Master"! lol

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, I guess if they all sound pretty good, then it just comes down to performance... since the Magna Flow is a strait through design, it probably outflows the "Flow Master"! lol

Hahhaaa, see my last post regarding performance, :thumb:

Found the link-

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/media/rumble.htm

WVRampage
03-31-2006, 12:26 AM
A few guys I work with have put duals on there trucks Ford Chevy and Dodge and at idle a few of them have resembled a stang but the closest one was the Chevy actualy every one at work called it the 4 wheel drive mustang but I havent heard the hemi yet so im sorry. Just going by what the others had sounded like its also probably got to do with the pipe and the bends too.

bansheenut420
03-31-2006, 06:32 AM
Cory, I know the Magna Flow's sound great on TD 4's, but wouldn't you sort of end up with a cherry bomb sound, if you had one on a V8, after all, aren't they basically like a cherry bomb in design? (strait through corrigated pipe with fiberglass packing around it?) It seems like over time, these type of mufflers get louder because the packing material starts to break up and get blown out the exhaust? I've never heard a Magna Flow on a V8, so I guess I don't really know? :confused:

My buddy had a 00' Mustang GT. It had Magnaflows on it and it was the best sounding exahust I have ever heard! I loved it and so did everyone else that heard it. All of my friends that have trucks have them and love them. I wouldn't say they are like a cherry bomb(sound wise). He also had a dodge ram with a flowmaster on it and yeah, it was loud but it sounded like crap! The magnaflow is nice a quiet at idle and sounds sooooo good at WOT. I feel like the Magnaflow doesn't amplify the exhaust like the flowmaster, it just lets the true sound come out. After hearing the stock exhaust on a hemi, I promise you would LOVE the sound of a magnaflow on it.:thumb: I will never go with another muffler on any car, but thats just my .02 :D

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2006, 12:56 PM
them and love them. I wouldn't say they are like a cherry bomb(sound wise). He also had a dodge ram with a flowmaster on it and yeah, it was loud but it sounded like crap! The magnaflow is nice a quiet at idle and sounds sooooo good at WOT. I feel like the Magnaflow doesn't amplify the exhaust like the flowmaster, it just lets the true sound come out.

Ran both on my van, the Super40 sounded unreal, and it was fairly quiet inside, now swap over to Magnaflow, sounded good to but it made my ears bleed-it droned so bad. :(

bansheenut420
04-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Ran both on my van, the Super40 sounded unreal, and it was fairly quiet inside, now swap over to Magnaflow, sounded good to but it made my ears bleed-it droned so bad. :(
Huh, I wonder if the drone has to do with the particular resonance of your van because my RT has no drone, neither did his mustang. But the Ram sure did! We never took that thing on road trips because of it, but the stang is almost silent at 1500-2000 prm cruise on the freeway. My RT has never been on a long road trip, its not silent, but there is no irritating drone.

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Huh, I wonder if the drone has to do with the particular resonance of your van because my RT has no drone, neither did his mustang. But the Ram sure did! We never took that thing on road trips because of it, but the stang is almost silent at 1500-2000 prm cruise on the freeway. My RT has never been on a long road trip, its not silent, but there is no irritating drone.

I hear you, lots say the Magnaflow's don't drone, but holy sh*t, you couldn't go on the highway with it.

bansheenut420
04-02-2006, 02:40 AM
I hear you, lots say the Magnaflow's don't drone, but holy sh*t, you couldn't go on the highway with it.
Very true, every car is different. And how often do you see a magnaflow or any aftermarket exhaust on a van :evil:

clocktowersniper
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I got a delta 40 on both my trucks, a Dakota V6 and a Durango V8 and it sounds great on both. Its not too loud at all, no drone going down the road. However I do get a cold start drone while leaving my neighborhood at around 30 mph. This only happens on cold mornings though. It also goes away once it warms up.

Tim
04-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Anything made by Phord SUCKS:amen: , so I really hate to say this, but over the years at the local dragstrip and on the street, I've heard a lot of Mustangs with Flowmaster exhaust systems, and they sound very good to me.

But Phord STILL SUCKS!!!:banghead:

PUNKSLIP
04-08-2006, 01:46 AM
I am not sure what kind of performance you are looking for, but I have a 1997 Ram 360, all stock, and I have a Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back system, and like the sound and performance. I ordered it from Summit Racing, and with a little studying, installed it in about 2 hours......OK, maybe three. It sounds good at all levels, and is a step up from stock. Beyond that, headers, true dual exhaust, etc. etc.....

John