PDA

View Full Version : Coil Pack #10 for my DD Passat 1.8T

2.216VTurbo
03-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Not only did this one go out while I was racing in Vegas which means my wife is in the Passat because her Tahoe is my 'tow rig' That left her real happy with me, ten miles from home, kids in the car and running on 3 cylinders is not a 1.8T's strong suit:( It has happened so many times I keep a spare coil pack in the trunk, takes me 5 minutes to fix it, but she had to drive it home at 15-20 MPH:mad:

So today I go to VW to get a new 'spare' for the trunk, they DOUBLED the price of the packs for the same god damn part:mad: Smart --- service writer sitting next to the parts counter says "we haven't seen one of those go bad in at least six months" Maybe you should leave your car so we can check it out?"

So I say, "yeah like I did two years ago so you can charge me two hours labor/diagnostic and find nothing wrong with it?"

Dealerships are so rewarding to deal with:mad:

Turbodave
03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Maybe they improved the part? That would explain a price increase and why the dealer hasn't seen any in a while...just a thought (not likely).

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2006, 05:39 PM
I just phoned my supplier, aftermarket are $80 each. How is that compared to the dealer?

2.216VTurbo
03-29-2006, 05:45 PM
OK, the prices aren't that bad, it's just [I]the principal[I]:(

The coil packs used to be $23. each, now $45.

And yes they superseded the part number but they have done it four times now since I have been replacing the packs. I guess I should feel lucky:o some of the early (2002) packs caused engine fires and initiated a recall.

Maybe the 17PSI chip loads the pack way more than running the 9PSI boost that was stock. Still AFAIK in the Club B5 forums 10 packs is a record:eyebrows: