PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid??

tsiconquest88
11-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey guys i have an 89 2.5 turbo voyager (a413 tranny code) What fluid should be used and what filter? There was fluid mentioned in the 3 speed tranny adjustment link page (given to me by turbovanman) I do have a long 2-3 shift for those of u who didnt see my previous post about it. Should i use that fluid, it says it helps that some without getting into the bands and valve body which i rather not do as the van is my daily driver for the most part. However it states that fluid is kind of harsh for the tranny. What do u guys recommend? throw some ideas around.

turbovanmanČ
11-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Use Dexron or Type F which is getting harder to find. Type F will firm up your shifts so if your trans is a bit mushy, put that in. Add a litre of 10w30 synthetic engine oil to help lube the bearings.

89turbodude
11-07-2008, 11:32 PM
use mopar atf-4 and add some lucas trans product

tsiconquest88
11-08-2008, 09:05 AM
cool what type F should i get, mobil, pensoil, etc?, thanks. Also do u actually mean add a litre? or a quart? just making sure so i dont put less/more than i should of that, also do i put the needed amount of trans fluid THEN the oil or do i put a litre/quart less of trans fluid to compensate for the oil? Oh and the unanswered question what tranny filter should i use? or is the OEM one the only one i should use?

tsiconquest88
11-08-2008, 11:22 AM
OH another question, how much quarts of fluid will i need for the pan drop and filter change? I want to know ahead of time so i can ordser the right amount of type f since i cant get it locally (well cheap as internet that is lol). I really would like to change all fluid so what can i do to get the fluid out of the torque converter etc? anyway to do that without removing anything or is all i can get out what comes our for the pan removal and filter? If i can get the rest out how much fluid will i need total for that and the filter/pan removal?

turbovanmanČ
11-08-2008, 05:56 PM
cool what type F should i get, mobil, pensoil, etc?, thanks. Also do u actually mean add a litre? or a quart? just making sure so i dont put less/more than i should of that, also do i put the needed amount of trans fluid THEN the oil or do i put a litre/quart less of trans fluid to compensate for the oil? Oh and the unanswered question what tranny filter should i use? or is the OEM one the only one i should use?

Any brand is fine. Litre is almost a quart so use whichever one you want, ;)

A filter change should take about 4 litres to refill so you'll need 3 type F and one engine oil.

Any brand of filter is fine, OEM, Fram etc. I prefer the reusable pan gasket from Dodge but will most likely have to order it. Part number is in the old FAQ's, around page 5.

tsiconquest88
11-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Awsome thanks as always man. Yea the gasket has to be ordered i called this morning about the re-usable one. 45 bucks!!! How much is it usually? OH also i was lookin around my chiltons repair book i got with the van, says i can adjust the bands via a bolt on the top of the tranny, i didnt know it was that easy? Didnt the link say take the tranny apart etc? there is 2 adjustment bolts, one for kickdown and one for low-reverse. I will do both for the heck of it. See what happens. I dont think i need new bands etc, it shifts fine 1-2 just has a messy 2-3 under boost. Then after that its fine and pulls good. My reverse is weird though i get a weird shake and the van dont like to move much lol. Meaning VERY slow. Well seems it anyway, i dont give it much gas in reverse when i have to back up cus it feels odd. I didnt try actually giving normal gas so it might not be too bad but the weird shaking/vibration i dont wanna push it too much.

turbovanmanČ
11-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Awsome thanks as always man. Yea the gasket has to be ordered i called this morning about the re-usable one. 45 bucks!!! How much is it usually? OH also i was lookin around my chiltons repair book i got with the van, says i can adjust the bands via a bolt on the top of the tranny, i didnt know it was that easy? Didnt the link say take the tranny apart etc? there is 2 adjustment bolts, one for kickdown and one for low-reverse. I will do both for the heck of it. See what happens. I dont think i need new bands etc, it shifts fine 1-2 just has a messy 2-3 under boost. Then after that its fine and pulls good. My reverse is weird though i get a weird shake and the van dont like to move much lol. Meaning VERY slow. Well seems it anyway, i dont give it much gas in reverse when i have to back up cus it feels odd. I didnt try actually giving normal gas so it might not be too bad but the weird shaking/vibration i dont wanna push it too much.

The kickdown band is upfront, right by the kickdown cable bracket, loosen it up, 18mm locknut, 8mm adjustment, tighten down hand tight, back off 1.5 turns and tighten locknut. Rear you can do the same but back off 2 turns.

If your shuddering in reverse, most likely the rear band is worn or very loose.

$45, sounds about right, worth every penny. Install a drain plug while your at it and put a magnetic inline filter in too.

tsiconquest88
11-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Yea the manual shows a very accurate how-to on the adjustment with tq specs and all. Do you think it will help doing this on the kickdown? As far as what u say for the reverse issue i guess i wont bother with the low-reverse adjustment then lol. It shows where to check with feeler gauge so maybe i will check it. If i have to replace the reverse band, how involved does that get? take the tranny apart? if so heck with it lol.

turbovanmanČ
11-10-2008, 04:48 AM
The 1.5 turns helps quicken up the shift/band apply.

To replace any of the 2 bands, you have to disassemble the tranny.

tsiconquest88
11-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Aight brotha, thanks!! I pm'd back by the way so that other info fill me in on too.