PDA

View Full Version : Booger Bushings

Whorse
03-29-2006, 03:13 AM
I just installed boogerbushings on my transmission shifter linkages, and despite some of the difficulties in installing (they're damn stiff), it was worth it. For 24 bucks I couldn't think of a better improvement in shift feel. I can still quickshift, but they're so much crisper, and I'm not missing gears anymore.

Highly recommended to anyone interested. If you have an A568 like me, you need three small bushings, and one larger bushing (for the linkage at the back of the transmission).

Tony Fields
03-29-2006, 07:17 AM
I just installed boogerbushings on my transmission shifter linkages, and despite some of the difficulties in installing (they're damn stiff), it was worth it. For 24 bucks I couldn't think of a better improvement in shift feel. I can still quickshift, but they're so much crisper, and I'm not missing gears anymore.

Highly recommended to anyone interested. If you have an A568 like me, you need three small bushings, and one larger bushing (for the linkage at the back of the transmission).

Where did you order them from?

Thanks

zshadow
03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
i agree! the bushings i had in my shadow were AMAZING! they are SO stiff and make shifting so much smoother, and quicker.

highly recomended

Frank
03-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey Tony....

http://www.boogerracing.com/indexbb.html

They are sweet stuff.

Frank

Whorse
03-29-2006, 10:51 AM
I used some rubber-tipped lock jaws to pop them into place, and a couple large slotted screwdrivers to get the old ones out. The site has a video that shows how it's done. Well worth the couple hours to remove the console inside, and IC pipes in the engine bay.

My car shifts nicer than any new car I've driven.

JDAWG
03-29-2006, 11:19 AM
put them in the freezer over night, when they freeze they shrink a little and makes install easier

Turbodave
03-29-2006, 12:00 PM
put them in the freezer over night, when they freeze they shrink a little and makes install easier

Good to know, I really had a tough time getting them on my van, ended up breaking an arm off the trans doing it.

There used to be another company called CNNP? that made similar bushings. I installed a set in our old 91 Daytona, they were just as stiff, but used an E-clip and washer to retain the bushing. Much easier to install and remove later if need be.

WVRampage
03-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Have them on my A523 and they are nice.

93sundance
03-29-2006, 12:05 PM
The booger bushings are nice, but cnnp bushings are easier to install. I have used both and love em.

JDAWG
03-29-2006, 12:08 PM
http://www.staceydavid.com/tips/tip4.htm

ShelbyMotorsports
03-29-2006, 01:54 PM
http://www.staceydavid.com/tips/tip4.htm

Cool link as I was wondering what happened to Stacy as those two new hosts are knuckleheads.

BadAssPerformance
03-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Moved to 'trans' forum for future reference :thumb:

Turbodave
03-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Moved to 'trans' forum for future reference :thumb:

Beat me to it...was about to and then the phone rang....

Whorse
03-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I think you might be able to get the larger one on the back linkage arm from under the car if you tried. I didn't bother, just removed all my intake plumbing.

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2006, 05:49 PM
I loved Truckin, Stacy cracks me up, :lol:

I thought FWD sold those bushings?

Johnny
04-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Any one tried the Prothane polyurethane bushings?

I have these in stock BUT they are listed for 95-05 Neon and another one is called 03-05 SRT-4 bushings. Will one of these fit the earlier cars??

Johnny

Whorse
04-02-2006, 05:22 AM
The booger bushings are made for Neons, but they fit the older transmissions. Not a 100% OEM replacement fit, but they do fit properly.

Wink
04-02-2006, 12:07 PM
I'll stick with my Delrin shifter bushings. I've had the boogerbushings on another car. They were definately better than the stock rubber units. But not as precise as the delrin units I have on the Lebaron.

mcsvt
04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Would anybody know which set I need? I have a 555/520 going into my car. From the site it looks like the 4 small, but I would like confirmation.

Thanks,

Boogieman142
04-03-2006, 09:27 PM
i made my own, work real good, solid shifts

CSX321
04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Would anybody know which set I need? I have a 555/520 going into my car. From the site it looks like the 4 small, but I would like confirmation.

Thanks,
They don't work with those, unfortunately. The A520/A555 use the ball-and-socket type cable ends.

WVRampage
04-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I think you might be able to get the larger one on the back linkage arm from under the car if you tried. I didn't bother, just removed all my intake plumbing.

Turned the wheel all the way to the right and I could get it from the wheel well.

Whorse
04-04-2006, 01:30 AM
I managed to get mine from the top, but I removed all my intake and IC plumbing, which was a hassle to do quickly.

mcsvt
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
They don't work with those, unfortunately. The A520/A555 use the ball-and-socket type cable ends.

:thumb: Thanks for the reply. I don't have my trans out yet :o Learn something new everyday :nod:

JeffB#2
04-06-2006, 07:39 PM

That works with bushings that need to slide into a sleeve of any kind. Toss these into a cup of water and nuke 'em in the microwave for 2 minutes or so, they'll be hot but soft. You won't melt them, melt temp is closer to 330F under pressure. They only shrink about .002" on the OD going from room temp to freezer temp anyway. Older verison bushings had straight angles on the snap detail, newer ones have a 45 degree angle. Newer ones are a little easier to install and remove. They've always had a lubricant molded in, you might see it as a white film on the surface of older bushings. The lube leaches to the surface over time. The lube is mainly for squeak prevention but also helps, well, lube the steel pins over time. ALWAYS pry in two places when you want them off and be careful. They ended up being harder than I wanted originally, they'll be softer in future production runs.

I've seen the Prothane sets online. Least they could have done is change them a little instead of an exact copy. LOL!

Terry Again
04-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Just curious for future reference,will the cables on my 525 use these bushings?? Thanks for any info,
I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?
Terry:)

Mario
05-13-2009, 09:48 PM
That works with bushings that need to slide into a sleeve of any kind. Toss these into a cup of water and nuke 'em in the microwave for 2 minutes or so, they'll be hot but soft. You won't melt them, melt temp is closer to 330F under pressure. They only shrink about .002" on the OD going from room temp to freezer temp anyway. Older verison bushings had straight angles on the snap detail, newer ones have a 45 degree angle. Newer ones are a little easier to install and remove. They've always had a lubricant molded in, you might see it as a white film on the surface of older bushings. The lube leaches to the surface over time. The lube is mainly for squeak prevention but also helps, well, lube the steel pins over time. ALWAYS pry in two places when you want them off and be careful. They ended up being harder than I wanted originally, they'll be softer in future production runs.

I've seen the Prothane sets online. Least they could have done is change them a little instead of an exact copy. LOL!

Holy old thread (for the poster below). Yes I love the search option.

I think this is some really good advice on a poly shifter bushing install on a 523/568. Sounds like this guys owns / works for Booger?

Juggy
05-14-2009, 12:25 AM
my microwave is 1400 watts....i dont think id want to but them bushings in for 2 minutes!!! lol

nice way of doing things tho :thumb:
ive used vice grips and squeezed them on.

Johnny
05-14-2009, 12:41 AM
They've always had a lubricant molded in

Not graphite, correct?

Ondonti
05-14-2009, 07:53 AM
I wish I could trust Paul enough to buy more Delrin bushings, or a trans mount. Best bushings for sale and the best trans mount.

93sundance
05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I was wondering why this thread popped up in my subscribed threads. I was like wtf i don't ever remember posting in a booger bushing thread. Holy old thread indeed.

WickedShelby88
05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Does CNNP racing still exist? Did a search and can't find them anywhere?

GLHNSLHT2
05-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I hope they don't make the booger bushings softer. I was able to drive a buddies 523 equipped Omni the other day with them in and Holy Moly! I was gonna do heim joints on the shifter cables but not after trying those. Not worth it. Love the solid shift feel.

Mario
05-14-2009, 11:52 PM
I just did them in my R/T. Wow, I thought it felt decent for a FWD cable shifted car before. Much better. Really easy to install actually. I was kind of timid from the quick reading I did on them.

WickedShelby88
05-15-2009, 01:36 AM
My dads car had the bushings drop out. He had them rigged with zip ties cause he really doesn't have much time working two jobs to do the cables. Well I bought a set of the booger bushings for him and he really likes how it feels now. Nice and positive. I can't imagine what it was like to shift before these.