PDA

View Full Version : which donor 2.4 should i look for?

cs daytona
11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
so im ready to search for a 2.4 for my 88 daytona. which vehicle should i be looking for to get my motor (earlier 2.4 or later). i hear the 00 or 99 and earlier have larger exhaust ports, but are the blocks just as stout for boost? i hear front motor mount for caravan too, right? the older stratus motors seem to go way cheaper.

just trying to see if paying more for srt/ptgt is worth it. or can i do just as good with NA stuff

thanks
travis

Speedeuphoria
11-04-2008, 05:30 PM
no one can answer that question until you say more about what you plan on doing or how capable you are.

Like do you plan on swapping pistons/rods?
Can you add turbo oil/coolant?

What turbo are you going to use?

cs daytona
11-04-2008, 06:39 PM
well being a tech by trade im pretty comfortable with all the fabbing and rebuilding, etc. i plan to eventually make 450-500 hp with a 50 trim turbonetics hybrid (that currently runs my 2.5). so basically im just looking for a 16v 2.4 to take the beating. but if i doesnt matter which year or vehicle it came from then ill just go get a $200 non running old stratus engine from ebay and use the block/head/crank.

travis

Speedeuphoria
11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
you can use either one, on the NA you need to swap the pistons/rods for at least SRT rods/pistons which are reasonable new from the dealer. Then again if it needs to be bored then you need aftermarket pistons.

The turbo blocks have oil squirters and are a little more beefy, but a NA block/crank will hold 700hp OK.

I'm using a 96 Caravan 2.4 and that front mount bracket, seems there is another 2.4 caravan bracket that is weak, have only seen mine. I was buying forged pistons/rods anyway so used a NA block. Added the turbo oil feed/return, ect..
Here is mine and lots of info on page 4:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

cs daytona
11-04-2008, 11:53 PM
damn 700hp? ok nuff said. thanks for the info also :)

travis