PDA

View Full Version : Turbo V6 project.

cobra2411
11-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Ok, long story short. I bought a V6 "parts" car for a 5spd swap that has a turbo on it. My friends are telling me to beat it like a red-headed step-child because it was a $200 car....

Here it is: http://www.middletoninv.com/turboshadow/

Anyway... Cecil fun day is coming up and I was thinking of running it just for grins and giggles. The turbo is WAY wrong for the car; it's off a 2.2....

My biggest concern is the fuel system. I know that's going to be the biggest issue I have to solve. I need the easiest, cheapest, quickest way to get more fuel into the motor. Redneck idea's preferred as long as it'll pass tech. So no can of gas taped to the antenna with a tube for dribbling into the TB.... :D

I've got tools, I've got access to a shop off hours, I've got mechanical ability, I've even got a wide band O2 to tune with... I just don't know these cars as well as I should.

thefitisgay
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
id say throw a 7th injector on it with a pressure switch and just DROWN it...

Vigo
11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
id say put a solenoid in the return line with a boost switch or any switch so when it hits boost it shuts off the return line. vice grips does the same thing but wont pass tech.

i saw pictures of that thing once and honestly i have never seen an uglier setup. but if it runs at all id get a time before taking it apart.. chances are itll run on 5psi what some people here run on 18 psi even with that weakass setup.

cobra2411
11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah... It is an ugly setup... But hey, for $200 and it runs....

I was thinking the 7th injector... Will the factory pump be ok?

What about crushing the FPR? I've heard of people doing that, i.e. putting it between 2 sockets in a vice (or press) and compressing the case to raise the pressure.

Again, it just has to pass tech and last long enough to make a pass or two...

What about a restrictor in the return line?

My only fears of blowing up are: 1. it'd suck to drag the car an hour down to Cecil and not be able to get a full pass in and more importantly 2. I'd hate to oil down the track.

Other then that it can blow up... :)

Aries_Turbo
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
pull that stuff off of there and run it NA and then do a proper turbo job. :)

Brian

cobra2411
11-03-2008, 06:17 PM
pull that stuff off of there and run it NA and then do a proper turbo job. :)

Brian

No... :D

Aries_Turbo
11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
oh, ok :)

cobra2411
11-03-2008, 07:31 PM
It's a $200 car with a salvage title... All I want is the 5spd parts... Normally the car would be gone, but I'm curious what the turbo will do... I was going to do an all out junkyard twin turbo or big single with a megasquirt and all that, but I don't have the time.

So this will likely be the last hurrah before the car becomes parts...

thefitisgay
11-03-2008, 09:49 PM
or bring it up here and stomp some hondas then part it

Vigo
11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
well if you can bolt any old chrysler turbo to that nasty setup you might wanna sell the exhaust stuff to another 3.0 member so they can bolt a garrett to it and have a marginally less shitty setup for really cheap. might get a few more bucks out of your parts car that way. In fact, i cant really tell just how ugly the piping is.. kinda looks like they cut off the crossover pipe about halfway back and routed it up there, and for the back manifold.. not sure.. maybe cap the normal outlet and route exhaust up from the crossover pipe flange?? Get pics of it when you take it apart, will ya? Morbid curiosity here.

also, what year is it? i might be up for a 3.0 computer if its 90-91

Ondonti
11-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Is that moparbishis old setup...or is that another one that I have seen before (i think moparbishi's was "better")

Too bad people cant figure out fueling. Its pretty easy if you just buy a RRR, base regulator and some injectors.

For 1-2 passes and cheap, I dont really know. Extra injector is something I am afraid of, but Ed Kelly is using them.

cobra2411
11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
kinda looks like they cut off the crossover pipe about halfway back and routed it up there, and for the back manifold.. not sure.. maybe cap the normal outlet and route exhaust up from the crossover pipe flange??

So you've seen the car in person? :D

Car's a 92 or 93... Computer is the same for my 94 LeBaron GTC. That's what I really liked about the car for parts...

Vigo
11-05-2008, 03:57 PM
So you've seen the car in person?

Heh just spent enough time thinking about turboing 3.0s for the thought to have crossed my mind. Too ugly for me to go for, personally, but im sure it could be made pretty fast even with that ghetto setup and a different turbo.

oh well on comp. they're only $37 + tax in the yard i use anyway.

Dave
11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
F*ck the fuel, lean is mean. :thumb: I need videos!